Home Technical Talk

Polypaint/Xnormal Texture help

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
kunglao polycounter lvl 18
Hi there and a happy new year to all!

My problem is regarding creating a texture in Zbrush using Polypaint.

I followed the tutorial-

http://eat3d.com/free_zbrush_xnormal_pipe

Which basically shows you how to create a polypaint texture into a diff use texture using Xnormal for use in Photoshop.

By following the tutorial i managed to get a diffuse texture ready to add extras in photoshop.That all worked fine.

I then used this texture in photoshop adding layers to carry on with painting the Diffuse texture.

I collapsed all the layers but now i would like to take this texture back to zbrush and use it so i can paint on it directly on the hi poly model to get shadows under chin and add extra detail etc.Once i have done that i would like to then follow the same steps as before.

Not sure if this can be done and would appreciate any input.

Thanks

Replies

• Ruz
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    well all you have got to do is reimport the texture to zbrush and convert it to polypaint ie 'polypaint from texture'
  • kunglao
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank Ruz.
    I tried that.It does not apply the texture to the head,all it seems to do is when i paint,draw lots of the texture rather than the whole texture applied to the head.

If i can go into a little more detail-
    The head is not UV mapped.
    All i am doing is using Spotlight to grab ceratin texturss to make uo one texture which is a GUV.I then click "new from polypaint" and export the GUv tiled texture out from Zbrush into Xnormal where i baked out using the earlier posted tutorial "base texture to bake" option which gives me a nice diff texture.
    The lo poly head in Xnormal is unwrapped but imported directly from Max as it has been optimised and would not go back into the sub div tree in Zbrush.

Always difficutl to explain a problem i appreciate that.
    Basically i want to use the diff texture on the high poly model in zbrush to carry on adding detail to the diff then export out again as GUV following the same steps that i took originally.
    Thanks
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Mmm, yeah a bit confused by what you're doing, but make sure when you import your texture back into Zbrush, that you're using the "Texture Map" tab in the Tool menu to apply it, not just setting it as a brush texture.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    If you're giving the sculpt GUV's, baking the texture to the low-poly's own UVs, and then wanting that texture back, you'll be running into problems as the sculpt doesn't have those UVs the new texture is using. You could maybe reverse the order in xnormal to bake the new texture to the old UVs, or import the new low poly into zbrush and try projecting the details from the sculpt onto it.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    If I understand you correctly, then I don't think you can really do what you're trying to do.

You painted the high-poly in polypaint, which means it's not unwrapped. Then you baked that polypaint onto an unwrapped low-poly using xNormal. There's no way to get that texture to apply to the highpoly, as that was never unwrapped. And there's no way that I know of to bake from one model's texture map into another model's Polypaint.

So I can't think of any way of doing that.

The only thing you can, and really should, do is use some sort of 3d-painting program to work on your texture on your lowpoly. Something like 3dcoat, Bodypaint, or 3dsmax's Viewport Canvas.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    There's no way to get that texture to apply to the highpoly, as that was never unwrapped.
    He's using the GUV method, not the exported vertex colors. So the high-poly he exported for the bake has UVs.
  • kunglao
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all your feedback,espocially Cyrid.
    I did manage to find the unoptimised unwrapped lo poly head that i slotted back into zb sub divs.

Cyrid i would really like to know how i could "reverse" the baking option you mentioned in an earlier post using Xnormal.
    Would appreciate a little breakdown on that as i am relatively new to Xnormal,could prove verry handy in the future.
    Many thanks
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Cyrid i would really like to know how i could "reverse" the baking option you mentioned in an earlier post using Xnormal.
    Just treat the low-poly as if it were the high, and the high-poly as if it were the low. Either way you're baking a texture from 1 uv set to another.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    As an aside I wish you could turn a uv texture into a polypaint.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    oXYnary wrote: »
    As an aside I wish you could turn a uv texture into a polypaint.

you mean take a texture painted in photoshop and apply it on to your sculpt in zbrush then use it as a polypaint base? that's easily done, unless you mean something else
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    I think he means bake one texture from an unwrapped model, unto another not unwrapped (wrapped?) model's vertex-color information. And yeah, that's what I've been trying to say, I don't think that's currently possible.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I think he means bake one texture from an unwrapped model, unto another not unwrapped (wrapped?) model's vertex-color information.
    Give the sculpt temporary UVs, bake the texture to them, apply this texture back in zbrush and tell it to create polypaint from the texture.