Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: achillesian - Help me improve!!!

I'm switching majors, and trying to enter the game industry in the only thing I have a smidgen of talent in; art. Help me improve!

I'm going to post everyday.:shifty:

deWxx.jpg

Replies

• achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shitty tree I spent too long on
    46GWF.jpg
    crappy pirate guy
    fLKXW.jpg
    and finally something from reference

Pmrqz.jpg

All done in painter 9 btw, cs5 isnt saving my brush presets, so, back to the old apps
  • Allan-p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Allan-p polycounter lvl 7
    Allo, allo

Mate you shouldn't be so hard on yourself when your going off calling everything you do "shit" It's a downfall many artists have as we are our worst critics. If you find yourself heading down that path where your work isn't just cutting it you can either step back and figure out why, or step away, start a new one and then come back to the older piece.

Spending too long on a piece isn't really a bad thing at times, but you need to step away from it once in a while as you it is inevitable that you get too caught up with a certain problem and neglect the rest of the piece.

With reference work you need to know why you are using it as a reference, what are you going to take from it? Is it the lighting, the colour, the shape perhaps a certain texture interests you from it.

One of my teachers told me "When are you going to let go" at first I had no idea, but thinking about it I finally understand what he meant. That I had to let go of everything I loved drawing since I've started following a set routine and or technique, that the room for growth had ceased. So I abandoned everything I love (mainly the figure) and headed for a more abstract route, only recently I came back to figure and I have improved tenfold as I wasn't too precious or caught up with perfection, confident strokes came in and I was pleased.

So the basic question is, what are you interested in and why? Don't do something just for the sake of it as it will show. Find something that absolutely fascinates you and go with it, find some sort of joy to keep fueling that passion (even though at times we have to go out of our way to keep fueling it)

Hope everything works out well mate, you've started working on a great path, but you'll come along many forks that only you can decide which direction to take.

Cheers!

One thing I can say though with the current pieces is to push your contrast a bit more, if you greyscaled the orange picture and compare it to your orange you drew you can definitely see it has more contrast around the centre.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the words Allan, I guess it's just kind of reflexive due to the last few months. I had a thread on SA forums making fun of me, my artwork, and my project, with about 90 pages, and 250,000+ hits. And before that I think I was overestimating my abilities, maybe I'm underestimating now, but I think that's better than the former. Hopefully being hard on myself will make me work harder.
  • achillesian
  • achillesian
  • achillesian
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quick little moon face (played some majora's mask)

jh4lB.jpg
  • achillesian
  • Eoq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eoq polycounter lvl 8
    Really liking this last one alot, keep it up in that direction m8 : )
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks eoq, slowly getting better when using reference

doodle w/o reference:

gpgnx.png
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pLIY4.png 'nother sketchy thing, more from ref tommorow
  • achillesian
  • Eoq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eoq polycounter lvl 8
    I'm seeing improvements! Keep it up dude! : )
  • achillesian
  • achillesian
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    Bigger brushes! HUGER BRUSHES!

If you're not doing line-work then you need to crank that brush size and zoom waay the f* out. If you've taken an oil painting class (highly recommended) the teacher probably told you to periodically step back from the canvas and view it from a distance. They'd probably have you paint from back there as well if there weren't the issue of arms not being 10 feet long. However, this is not a problem if you're working with a tablet! In the beginning stages you need to have the canvas zoomed out to about 25% when you work, regardless of whether it's from reference. This helps you to see the overall forms and colors without getting bogged down in details (that you'll paint over anyway). The other point is that while you're doing this your brush size shouldn't be smaller than the size of a dime against your screen. Working with small brushes early is slower and doesn't look as good-- you end up with that scratchy look as opposed to nice smooth tones.

Keep working from reference-- anatomy, fruit, mechanical shapes... that nose you did is a good step forward, as are the elf chick and the orange haired girl-- 3/4s profiles are a great way to get more comfortable with how dynamic the human face is.

And remember, BIG BRUSHES.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks wake, I'll try this in my next couple studies. I'm also trying to get a mirror, thinking about doing a self portrait a day, I've seen a lot of people online improve exponentially through just that exercise.
  • xenaxis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with wake, working from references really help! You will learn a lot about shadowing and how to highlight/create relief.

Keep on painting/drawing, you can only get better !
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    99C7S.png

bigger brushes
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DECS5.png

some hand painted style practice
  • achillesian
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    8RUx2.jpg

qMIM3.png

HzaCv.png

gmfVp.png

Finally have an art class under my belt now, and I've really fell in love with the gesture like, sketchy art from alot of masters, I love the style and minimalism, I'd like to see it in a game.
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Hey achillesian,

You've got some cool style going on. My suggestion is to concentrate on one aspect of art at a time, it can get quite confusing when trying to do it all at once. (silouette,values, color, posing etc..)

Start with making silouette studies, here is a good place to learn about it : http://tedwoodsart.blogspot.com/2011/04/silhouettes-part-1-for-every-action.html

it is really the most important aspect of character which you seem to focus on.

Then you can study values, with b/w pics of your favorite movies which will lead on to colors & the rest..

Good luck!
  • Serenity4art
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those are some amazing sketches bro, way better than I can produce from memory. What I find helpful when drawing is having tons of reference images.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the suggestions guys.

@wizo

I have started quite a few of my sketches and characters with sillohouttes, it does tend to help me, and I think its very good for establishing proportion when working from reference. And I think that is the key, I really just need to work from reference more. I work from alot of reference when I'm using traditional medium, but don't have a comfortable way of doing so on the computer (no room for drawing + reference on screen).

I may just end up being one of those people who do the majority of their work traditional and scan stuff for touch up, because frankly, right now my traditional is 10 times better than my digital.
  • Dragonwalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Referece is a good start, but as my art teacher (whom I hold very dearly) kept sayng to me... And this is just a rough translation: "From whole to detail!" He kept beating it over my head until it finally got trough. Try it. Get the proportions right, get the perspective right (which as I can see you try to avoid as best as you can so far (= ), than add some details... And I don't mean wrinkles around eyes... Just basic shapes a than keep adding details... Also step away... or rather zoom the picture out as often as you can to see the whole image.

You know, the first thing my teacher has every noewcommer draw is a chair... It seems stupid, but try it... In perspective, by an actual chair and you'll see.

Other than that, definetly getting better... Thumbs up for the progress.
  • uohm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The best way I know of to work from reference on the computer is to take the reference file and double the canvas size, keeping the original on the left and working on the right side of the canvas ( reverse that if yer left handed).

But with the digital medium, you can also simply copy the reference image and paste it into your working image. By keeping it on a separate layer you can move it, scale it, and hide it without affecting your painting.

and if you are better with traditional media, you can always scan pencil drawings and paint on them digitally.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bout 20min from ref (another drawing)

QVB0G.png
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    also i get to work with a live nude tuesday yay! first time!
  • PixelKD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelKD polycounter lvl 9
    couple of comments... looking at the Evelyn you posted on 01-02-2011.
    http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m633/PixelKD/eyestuff.jpg?t=1307450413

Hope that helps.
    Keep up the good work.
  • PixelKD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelKD polycounter lvl 9
    I meant to write 'note lid thickness', not 'not lid thickness'... durp.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hooked up a scanner, stuff from my drawing class, mostly from life, nothing over 25 minutes. All graphite except the darker skull here. Since I've been in the drawing class I've been getting alot better at working big, and with vine charcoal, so currently I feel those are my best pieces atm, but I can't scan them, and don't have a good camera, soo...

hpBQX.jpg
    RLPfv.jpg
    SQvf7.jpg
    4q8OA.jpg
    CvpWA.jpg
    kI2R9.jpg
    C0TfU.jpg
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quick pastel abstract to test color too

7CMq4.jpg
  • lampekap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i very liked the drawing of the mountains!
  • achillesian
  • achillesian
  • theStoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    You're work is coming along for sure. One thing I feel you should do though is have more defined characters. If you are looking into concept art, the concepts need to be clear so that the details of the subject matter is clear and can be portrayed in a game. Keep at it! :)
  • achillesian
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're work is coming along for sure. One thing I feel you should do though is have more defined characters. If you are looking into concept art, the concepts need to be clear so that the details of the subject matter is clear and can be portrayed in a game. Keep at it! :)

that is probably the next step, I'm really trying to get the gesture/sketch stage down though, especially on the compy, my gestures tend to be my strength with traditional, so I'm trying to transpose that to photoshop.

My ultimate goal is environmental art, but i've been practicing alot of figures because alot of people say if you can draw figures you can draw anything.
  • Spacey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey polycounter lvl 18
    In terms of technique, you should try to clean up your sketches. Try working more with carefully placed blocks of color/value. These two images from Prom's art tutorial sum up what I'm getting at:
    Work with larger brushes and remove unnecessary brushstrokes. See the bad and better example below. I really didn't do much on the second one. It's actually simplified. It's surprising how much a little flattening here and there can do. I did spend some extra time on the face though. A bad face can ruin everything. Image is from reference.
    Bad -> Better
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Getting kind of some mixed messages here. The drawing class I had stressed very fast, rapid, and dirty gestures/sketches, all in an effort to continually train and improve my eye.

Are you suggesting slowing down and choosing strokes more carefully from the beginning of the piece? Or transitioning into a slower tighter control (which I've been wanting to try).
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    used a pretty big brush all the way through, smallish eraser though, also used smudge a bit, haven't been because i don't like the overly digital and amateur appearance it often gives

OUaNO.png
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    6 minute angry face from imagination for fun
    0m3kZ.png
  • Spacey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey polycounter lvl 18
    Getting kind of some mixed messages here. The drawing class I had stressed very fast, rapid, and dirty gestures/sketches, all in an effort to continually train and improve my eye.

Are you suggesting slowing down and choosing strokes more carefully from the beginning of the piece? Or transitioning into a slower tighter control (which I've been wanting to try).

There are a couple of things working like that accomplishes. For one, the piece looks much cleaner and less amateurish. It also helps maintain a hierarchy of shape. You don't want the entire image covered with thin strokes. Use those small shapes to describe details around the focal point (using the example again, the girl's face) while the big blocks give the eye a place to rest, in a compositional sense (the dress, the background).

Quick sketches and fast drawing has their place, most notably when trying to "feel" a gesture, get things on the canvas, or throw an idea down quickly. But when it comes to rendering I highly advise against that. If you look at the work of, let's say, a Jamie Jones, sometimes it can look like he's thrown down quick strokes, but I'm willing to bet each one of those strokes is carefully placed to give the right effect. Look past all the texture he uses and you'll see those blocks of color.

And from personal experience, I've trained my eye much faster by doing some long, slow drawings (blind contour drawing is great for teaching patience). I'd rather try and get everything drawn properly instead of it becoming a sketchy mess. I've picked up bad habits that still linger from years and years of "Gesture gesture gesture! Gotta get this down quick!" Speed will follow accuracy.
  • achillesian
  • achillesian
  • achillesian
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shorter than last piece, and arguably better

from ref:
    fRfnE.png

from mind:

Nn18o.png
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oq1Ef.png

fast, done for concept arts daily sketch group, gonna start trying to do those everyday
  • achillesian