Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

character things (watch out for nudity :3)

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
So i been in the habit of starting projects and abandoning them after a few days. Hoping to rectify that asap : D
Couple o things from the last 5 days (working around the traditional holdiday junku and newly aquired ps3 games :P)

Redid alot of hellboy, mostly the body and head. Low poly is at 6059 tris so far (still gotta do backfaces and 2 dupe'd pouches) and has the worst topology on a game char ever :P.
Just a test bake btw, still muchos dividing to go.

And a super crappy female anatomy study i did over christmas and boxing day... hopefully the first of many proper studies (found my old 3d.sk ref folder again ^^)

04b.jpg

04a.jpg

03b.jpg

02b1.jpg

Replies

• daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    sweet hellboy! also I have that same bad habit as you, starting ten abandoning stuff soon after...
    That female study looks nice too, but the ears stick out a bit. Give us more soon!
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    really cool stuff
  • LampRabbit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rad work bro!! On a second look her arse looks alittle clenchy :P
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Very good anatomy.
  • catstyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lovely stuff nizza!
  • LampRabbit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hboybowen wrote: »
    I dont see it. But I think female anatomy issues are best asked towards female artist. I dont see the issue right now

Disagree!! any good artist should be able to see what is off. Boobs don't give you super powers!!!

Super Happy Cow is spot on with those crits.
    Also the face looks to child like ..... very nizza like :P
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Loving the female anatomy :) its helping me out right now haha, Have to agree with the odd bits here and there but its nothing a quick play with the move brush wont fix, I like the size of the boobies too as they are not over the top and its nice seeing a proportionate female as opposed to heroine super drugged up ones :)

Only crit I got is the necks, they really detract my eyes, would be nice to transition them a bit more with the Zproject brush maybe.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hellboy looks sweet, hope you do a proper Mignola diarama with some old statues and tentacles for him to wrassle.

nothing to say about the girl really, nothing seems out of place anyways.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    great work, very clean sculpting and i like the lowpoly for hellboy
  • islipaway
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    islipaway polycounter lvl 10
    Loving Hellboy for the goat feet too! Moreover how he really reads as comic Hellboy than cosplay Hellboy, which is where many interpretations seem to fall down.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz: hehe, cheers man. I prefer starting new stuff over finishing old stuff so this is weird for me right now :P
    conte: thanks man ^^
    hboybowen: haha, cheers dude :)
    Lamprabbit: gotta keep it tight yo :poly142: and boobs are all about teh super powers :P
    shotgun: ^^ cheers
    catsyle: ty
    super happy cow: good crits all around man. Yeah the head was a masive afterthought and really wasnt turning out well at all. Good points on the body, something to fiddle around with the move brush (that's what the studies are for i hope ^^)
    crazyfool: haha, cheers dude. And killer idea on the neck fixing skills... i srsly cant sculpt bodies and heads in the one mesh for some reason :\
    scudz: cheers. whole diorama would be awsome fun... gotta see if i can pose the mesh that much first ^^;
    ravenslayer: thank you
    islipaway: cheers man, appreciate it. Had some mignola on my desk at all times while working on him, hope it paid off ^^

cheers for the feedback all ^^

So i finished off the sculpt and am onto texturing. Quickly started my next character too. Going for a more realistic, higher rez character.
    Also if you can tell who i "loosely" based the sculpt off through the extreme crappiness, you are insane :poly136:

Oh and getting into some posed and stylized female junku. More dynamic/interestic poses to come ^^ (need outfit ideas too :P)

01a1.jpg

01a2.jpg
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    i think the waist is too thin. it almost looks like a caricature.
  • ComfyCushion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That Hellboy kicks major ass. do you have his gun as a separate mesh? I'd love to see it out of that holster.

Also, Josh Brolin.
  • Weapon_X
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weapon_X polycounter lvl 17
    Awesome stuff, ive followed your work on Zbrush Central. I dig your work man, keep it up.
  • Razorb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    love ur hellboy!
  • kevlar jens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice work!
    I instantly recognized the No Country for Old Men antagonist (who's name escapes me)
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    digging the stylized female. Like the way you're going about that.
  • kevlar jens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That guy is actually the "hero"

The other guy with the bowl cut, Anton Chigurh, is the antagonist. : P

Ah, I get antagonist (the rival) and protagonist (the hero) mixed up all the time.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see Josh Brolin,but I also see younger, moustacio'd Nick Nolte
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP: yeah was goin for stylized on teh new female ones...
    ComfyCushion: haha, i was way to lazy mode to do his actual gun (was tempted but i'd never finish this thing off :P). And yay you got it ^^
    SuperHappyCow: hehe, yep. Josh Brolin from NCFOM... love that movie so much :poly136:
    Weapon_X: cheers man :)
    Razorb: : D thank you
    kevlar jens: ^^ cheers
    moof: woo, glad you think so dude. Always really hit n miss when trying to stylize things (for me anyways :P)
    scudz: hehe, nick nolte freaks me out :P

Suprised he was recognizable, glad he turned out like him. Was originally gonna do a 80's, westerney security guard in a suit with a shotgun and handlebar moustache, then thought no country dude would be a good character for reference... and now im just making josh brolin from no country :\

Really crappy anatomy block in... he's gonna have a shirt with rolled up sleeves, singlet, jeans and boots on, so i prolly won't spend much time here (even tho i need the practice). Also made an m37 shotgun and 1911 pistol for him, working on the lows for each now.
    (and HB is still getting textured, gotta finish him off quicker)

proportions still gettin mega tweaked so... myeah :poly136:

01b.jpg
  • killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter
    Lovely sculpt work all around niz.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome work, dude..
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kp: cheers man ^^
    bbob: :)

aight so had to take a 3 day art break due to diminishing momentum/motivation (and i got WoW: cata... pretty sure the two are just a coincidence >_>)

Blocking in the clothes for josh brolin, so everything's gettin major tweakage still (gotta divide things more >_<). And made a quick shotgun and 1911 for him too. 1016 and 828 tri's respectivley (cut out alot of the detail from the high's), 1k map each so far.

And damn i can't wait to see true grit!!! :poly142:

02a.jpg

02b.jpg
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    And damn i can't wait to see true grit!!! :poly142:

Awesome stuff Nizza! Loving the Josh Brolin. I was totally able to call it first glance.
    True Grit is amazing! I loved it. He's only in it for like, 5 minutes though.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome stuff! I could tell it was Josh Brolin right off the bat too.

Really inspiring work though.
    Only issue I see is the big scars around your character's necks (and Josh's wrists) we're you're connecting multiple pieces. I don't really have any tips for overcoming that, though.

I look forward to seeing more!
  • MissMaddyTaylor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MissMaddyTaylor greentooth
    awesome as usual! ^_^
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    how did I miss this thread... always love your art duder, great sculpts. Makin me realize I really need to do more anatomy studies.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    scooby: aww man, bummer about the short screentime... but still, jeff bridges plus coen bros means instant awsome film for me :poly136:
    shiniku: ^^ good pointin out the seams on the sculpts... gotta remember to actually fix em BEFORE baking (huge neck seam on hb). Hoping the project and clay brushes will help
    terrabite: hehe, cheers ^^
    ferg: : D thanks dude. I srsly gotta peep your thread again for more inspiration, need your zbrush powahs

anyways, still workin on some jeans sculptin for brolin, but did a quick derpalien head sculpt outta zspheres (first time ^^). Been watchin the vids on lunchcrunch too much latley :\

herpderpaderp.jpg
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    roosterMAP wrote: »
    i think the waist is too thin. it almost looks like a caricature.

Looks fairly realistic to me, somewhat like I have at home, so to speak. Nice job.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Fantastic surface qualities on those!!! Loving the sense of a suggested layer of skin/fat over the underlying muscles. Really great stuff, can't wait to see more!

[Edit : Just saw the female too!! Fantastic weight. Dang, I'm loving this!!]
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like your cloth stuff, its so simple yet has all the right weighting and flow to them.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken: hehe, cheers ^^
    pior: : D yay, thanks man *sticks pior post on fridge*
    crazyfool: :P ty. I might be letting you down on this latest one... been kinda hit and miss with my cloth stuff :\

'Final' hellboy sculpt.
    Tried texturing the low poly all day, ended up lookin like flat colours. Hoping i can sproose him up tommorow (finally figured how to get cgfx shaders workin tho, LeoCov shader RULES!!! ^^)

and current josh brolin sculpt. Gesture and read overall looks really flat/off to me... plus i think the folds on his jeans are mega confusing, dunno. Just got his shirt to block in and i can get a better idea of him from there :)

edit: and yeah his arms look mega long but i swear they're actually short based on standard proportions, see how he goes with the shirt

05-final-hp-pics.jpg

03a.jpg
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duncan polycounter lvl 11
    01a2.jpg

AWESOME. I really dig the proportions. The arms may be just a touch long but I still think it is kick ass.
  • marul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    Very nice models there. There are a few issues with the female for me but i suppose everyone's looking at a different part of her lol.

The main problem with her hands is imho, they are too big for a girl. That's why you've given her thick wrists and that's why her forearm is a little long (but i'm talking about the "standard" girl hand; my forearm for example, is even longer than hers)

Her feet are a little big too. Just try scaling her feet and her arms a bit and you'll notice the difference right away.

Just my two cents, happy sculpting ;)
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Brolin's likeness was obvious from the first post. Anatomy and I think more importantly, the subtlety of presentation thereof is impressive. Beautiful work, and please complete your No Country action figure set :)
  • STRIKER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    STRIKER polycounter lvl 13
    hey nizza! kicking ass with the sculpts i see. hell boy rocks man!
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duncan: ^^ thanks dude
    marul: yeah i didnt really get around to tweaking the hands/arms as much as i'd like to. defo good points to keep in mind on future attempts ^^
    gauss: hehe, chigurh next mebbe? :P
    striker: :) cheers man

aight so not too happy with it yet, but wanna put him on the backburner for a bit and get some other chars to a more finished level.
    Textures are way too subtle i think, and the spec map isnt workin proper (still need gloss and reflection... and there's heapos of cleanup to do ^^; )

He's on the list still ^^ gotta focus on finishing brolin and starting 2 new char ideas next (business suit orc and panty knight, prom/arne style :poly136:)

edit: oh, 6126-ish tri's all up, no backfaces tho :\

06a.jpg
  • mat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mat
    so bazoobs buddy :D
    can has a close ups of his face, looks totally math in the low
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHMOW! cheers duder ^_^ (face pics below... reveals the true poopy wip nature of things :poly122:)

So this be one of the new chars i wanted to start up. Was lookin at Blaze's stuff last night, got mega inspired. Drew a quick scribble concept on my whiteboard and started blocking things in today.
    Single zsphere for the head... hoping to throw some more spheres around to concept block in the big ole mech armour bits... mech pilot girl, hrmmm :shifty:

01a.jpg

06b.jpg
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    I love the subtleness of hellboys diffuse, and PLEASE finish that mech pilot chick. speaking of chicks, what happened to that elf chick from a while ago :)
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cheers man, it might just be my lack of texturing skill tho ^^; And was just lookin at that elf chick today, not sure. I wanna do a female knight with shiny armour, so ill see which one wins out (unless i do both :\)

Anyways, some poop scribbling in zb... got no idea what im doing, hoping i get better and can settle on somthin (hard to figure out the right spot to put panel lines and random mech junk).

edit: oh, kinda reminds me of samus now. might look less samusy when i stick huge mech arms and legs on :P

01b1.jpg
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    sweet shapes coming out there bro
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking awesome as always Nizza :)

I really liked the direction she was going in the original slight paintover you did. Alot more interesting shapewise.

Hellboys looking great, some more contrast in your diffuse may help :D take it easy bud
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math: ^^ cheers man (would kill for some of yo mad sub-d skills right now :poly136:)
    crazyfool: hehe, no solid idea yet so concepting as i go... really shoulda blocked her all in at the start but, myeah im lazeh :P

mini update before pizza and cartoons.
    still hard to tell the proportions/balance, should make sense soon i hope. Still looking like armour bits stuck on her, rather than a full mech that she's seated in (gotta fix asap).

and got some ref links of what i want the mech to be like overall (proportionally at least). Going for the larger head compartment area and she'll have mech heels for feet so it tapers down ^^
    (and the askin from the zspheres... polycount is killing my comp right now >_<)

http://www.maschinenkrueger.com/images/A8R8/a8r8_5.jpg
    http://www.maschinenkrueger.com/images/A8R8/a8r8_4.jpg
    http://www.maschinenkrueger.com/images/A8R8/a8r8_7.jpg

01c.jpg
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shit dude, your on fire..
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    love ur style dude.
    notice she wont be able to bend her arm... doesnt really matter but feels a little tight/crowded.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bbob: ^^
    shotgun: cheers man. and defo right on about that point of articulation... tried scaling them mitts down some... constantly scaling and moving things around as i add new bits too ^^;

last spammy pic before sleep... heaps more tweaking tommorow. Will prolly scale down the thigh armour, just tryin to exaggerate the gesture and female robot shapes or somthin :\

srsly hope the overall mech robot thing will work over what i've got so far, can only stretch the width of the arms and legs so much on a person

01d.jpg
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duncan polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome work man. I want your skills! Your characters always look soft a natural. I really dig the thigh armour at the moment. I would maybe block in the rest of the legs before I made that call, they look chunky and nice, and sit well on her. I am looking forward to your next update.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^^ cheers dude, muchos appreciated. The huge mech thighs are growin on me so i'mma try sticking with them :P

quick update from this morning (or evening, my sleeping is wack). Original idea has gone awry, might end up just sticking a mech backpack on her and calling her done (boots too)...

Tho working from zpheres and tweaking things heaps has made this super messy, no idea how imma move forward. Could try smoothing over and refining the details, then baking down to low poly chunks (rather than doing a whole retopo pass for the sculpt :poly122:)

01e.jpg
  • Next
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Next polycounter lvl 12
    nice i really like it !

imo u should definitely retopo it and make the tech part subd! :poly141:
    i know takes way more time but mostly makes it also way more awesome than it already is! I hope i could encourage u :poly142: