Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dragon Samurai

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys! Here a is new character that I will be working on. It is the Dragon Samurai. Though you can probably tell by the turnaround sheet, I'm going for a more stylized approach but there will be more to the texture than what is in the concept. This will be a current-gen low poly character and I'm going to shoot for around 10k tris. More to come!

Dragonwarriorturn.jpg

Replies

• catstyle
  • Rockley Bonner
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Update: Just finished the base mesh and I will take it into zBrush. This will most likely not be low poly so I'll have to retopo in zbrush once the sculpting is done
    Screenshot2011-01-01at54408PM.png
    Screenshot2011-01-01at54403PM.png
  • DrunkShaman
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Amazing work bro. Though the face is too densed and you can delete the edges from the spheres to keep it low for a base mesh.

will wait for the final model. Good work! :D
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    @Nitewalkr: Thanks, will try and clean up the face andI really just put those spheres there just to get a 'feel' where I was going with it. You have any suggestions for how low I can get those spheres but still retain their shape? Something like 6 or 8 divisions?
  • DrunkShaman
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Its already 8 by 8 I believe...right? The spheres I mean. If you put them as a place holder then its not a problem. Though you can cut them in half. Also do check out the Polycount Wiki to have a better understanding of the tris topology. =\

How many Polygons (as in Quads) do you have on this model.

EDIT: The bottom part of the cleeds or shells are not required because they seem to be hidden you might want to delete them.

- The face has too many straight polygons, you can either create a low poly model of head and create a displacement map out of this one for the low poly head model (since this one is well defined) or you can delete few edges making sure not to mess your model up. I mean the model is extremely well defined in general. But its pretty densed.

I'll wait for others to crit this one out too so you get all the support you need but I'll tell you one thing, that this model of yours is awesome :)
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    This was more of just something to bring into zbrush to sculpt on instead of being used as the low-poly to bake normals to since there are a few things that aren't defined as well. But I may end up trying to rework this mesh to use instead of retopo-ing in zbrush. We'll see....:) Thanks!
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Update! Sorry it's been awhile but I have been working on him. Everything is blocked in, but just by looking at this though I need to fix his fingers, still looking like little sausages.
    samurai.jpg
  • PatrickL
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    Five fingers and four toes is REALLY bothering me.
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL wrote: »
    Five fingers and four toes is REALLY bothering me.

Is it? I'll see what I can do about that
  • LMP
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    I love how the beard looks in the concept, but I'm not really digging the sculpt of it, I feel like it's missing the character the concept has.
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Getting closer to finishing this guy but I wanted some input. Should I give him scratches and gouges in his armor or keep it clean? I personally like it clean but thats just me.
    samuraicomparison.jpg
    Any other crits are welcome too!
  • Mike Yevin
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    like with most other game art assets, theres no need to keep things clean. those bits of armor, if used, would probably have tons of scratches and digs, so i say go for it :thumbup:

i would suggest however to rework the scratches a bit, right now they look a little uniform and don't necessarily read as scratches to me
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Is this a bit too much?
    samuraidamage.jpg
  • Deady
    Offline / Send Message
    Deady polycounter lvl 9
    I'm going to agree with LMP, your sculpt has lost a lot of the silhouette and shape that made the concept so cool. The hands and feet need some more attention as well, they're looking a little blobby.

As for the scratches, just adding more of them isn't the right way to go about it. I suggest you think about what KIND of damage his armor would be taking, and instead of just slapping some gouges all over it, think about WHERE his armor would take damage.

IMO, I would love to see this guy as a low-poly model, with some nice hand painted textures.

I'm looking forward to seeing where you take this.
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Deady!

I totally agree with you about the sculpt losing the shape that made the concept interesting and I'm going to try to fix that.
    I'll definitely be going over his hands and feet as well and de-blobbify them.
    About the damage, do you have any suggestions? I was thinking of getting chunks ripped off, and maybe some dents, tone down the gouges?
    And I'm going to make this a full-res game character so he's gonna be normal mapped and everything.