Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First attempt with Mudbox

Hello guys.

So, I just finished to install everything I need on my computer and am now testing Mudbox while my games are downloading.

I didn't really know what to do so I've made a plane on 3DS Max, extruded some parts and used it in Mudbox.

After playing around I've finally found what to do and am still working on it.

I would like to get your advice/critics about what I did.
The blue on the floor are rock I've frozen, and on the blob, it's supposed to be a nest (the one on the right is a beginning of a new nest).

80332086.png

Replies

• Khalamea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you have a concept image that you're working from? It might help with getting some more detailed critiques. To start off with though:

As with many new zbrush/mudbox users, I think you're subdividing too quickly and not spending enough time with the lower iterations to really define the forms. Doing so makes the scene as a whole look very blobular, and there's no real distinction from one form to the next. Also you might consider separating different materials into different tools (I'm not sure if mudbox uses the same terminology, I only use zBrush ><) which will help you get clearer definitions between objects. Right now everything is just blending in together too much.

Also what are your final intentions with the piece? Do you actually want to turn it into a mini-scene or was this just to learn the software>
  • NothingHappens
    Hi, I don't have any concept image or anything, I'm doing it how it comes in my mind.

I know I should use images as a reference but I don't really find anything that is not too hard for me to do.

About my subdivision problem, I've seen a video where a guy explains that we must start with a low level of subdivision to make the shape, then go slowly higher to add details in it.
    I guess I'm trying to go too fast.

I tried ZBrush and found it too hard to handle (Especially for the view), that's why I'm trying Mudbox, and I find Mudbox way easier to use, but I should retry ZBrush later.

At start I just wanted to model something organic in Mudbox to learn quickly how to use the tools and stuff. But I started to think "Hey, once I'll be finished I probably should make a low poly version and try to bake it, then see how it goes into UDK !". I guess it'll wait. ^^

Thanks for your critics.
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wonkey polycounter lvl 10
    As a novice myself, I can just tell you to keep trying, with each attempt you will get better.
  • jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its a good start, you do have the medium details pushed out, now I would make it more tight. When I say that, to go in to individual areas and think about the mechanics and the little things that would make this 'real'. For example you could tuck in where the brown hits the blue parts and make that looking a little rough, even streaming some brown parts like veins to slightly cover the blue.

Little things like that you can now start to think about.

I wouldn't go much higher than this in this stage. Once you are happy with the direction you are taking and at this division level you are happy with, you could put it up one more and get littler details like ridges and big bumps etc.

Anything over that, I would use projection alphas to get random details like moss or cracks etc.
  • timwiese
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    timwiese polycounter lvl 9
    I would highly recommend getting some sort of reference/s for this piece. It doesn't look like there is any real definition of surface types it's all just very blob-like.

Although I'm not against just sculpting whatever comes to mind, I find most novices have much better luck trying to recreate something that they have good references of.

Just keep at it, go to a lower sub division level and try to work on interesting shapes, some hard edges some soft and everything in between. Keep at it!