Home Technical Talk

3ds Max Key binding confusion

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
doeseph polycounter lvl 7
I've been binding keys to increase my workflow lately and I've come across a problem. When in the Editable Poly modifier, the Connect function used to be bound to (Ctrl+Shift+E), which I'm pretty sure is the default key-binding for it. It used to work globally whether I was in Edge or Vertex mode, but it now only works when I'm using Edge mode.

I have gone into the bindings, but I'm not entirely sure I bound them in the right list(there are quite a few).

If I go (Group) Main UI (Category) Editable Polygon Object, I can bind:

Connect (no dialog)(Poly)
Connect (with dialog)(Poly)
Connect Edge (Poly)
(Shift+Ctrl+E)
Connect Vertex (Poly)

Now I assumed the first option would allow the binding to work in either mode, but that doesn't seem to be the case so far. Neither the first two options do anything as far as I can tell, but the second two work fine with their respective modes and binding.

Am I binding keys in the wrong area perhaps? I noticed there are a bunch of other options if I switch from (Group) Main UI to (Group) Editable Poly or (Group) Edit Poly, but I have no idea which one I should be using.

Could someone help me out?

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In the main menu there is a Keyboard Shortcut Override button. Try turning that on and see if they start working again. It looks like a key with an up arrow on it. Or on older versions of Max it has a T.

This turns on sub menu shortcuts and overrides the main shortcut. You might need to unbind it from another spot so its the only shortcut that works when KBO is turned off.

Also know that "Editable Polygon Object" is what you get when you collapse a stack that has Edit Poly in it. Which is not the same as "Edit Poly", the modifier.

This is another source of headache and confusion within 3dsmax, so many different mesh types all with their own methods of doing the same thing slightly differently and with different key binds none of them context sensitive. Ahh legacy support is grand...

You have:
    Editable Poly (the object)
    Edit poly (the modifier)
    Editable Mesh (the legacy object)
    Edit Mesh (the legacy modifier)
    Polygon Object (a generic object that gets assigned to certain things that get collapsed and needs to be converted to Edit Poly or Edit Mesh)

In general I set my binds for Edit Poly the modifier and always work in that rather than try and sync Editable Poly with Edit Poly.
  • doeseph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doeseph polycounter lvl 7
    Thank you for the reply Mark, the KSO worked. I forgot about the Keyboard Shortcut Override button even after seeing it in a 3dmotive video I've been using, so I feel a bit silly.

I didn't know there was a difference between Editable Poly and Edit Poly. I checked my scene and almost every object is an "Editable Poly". I added an Edit Poly on top and noticed it went above it but below Turbosmooth. I'm unclear on the difference seeing as how both have the same options.

Also, I often right click my object and go to "Convert to: Editable Poly", should I be using the Edit Poly modifier instead? Or does it not matter?

Thanks again.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Editable Poly refers to the Object type, as opposed to Editable Mesh.

Edit Poly refers to the modifier. The base object can be of any type, but these shortcuts operate within the Edit Poly modifier.

In conclusion: Max needs an interface overhaul.