Home General Discussion

Tokyo Polycounters?

MoP
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
MoP polycounter lvl 18
Hey, so I'm going to be in Tokyo for two weeks, from 28th December to 10th January!

I'm going with a few friends so we're gonna have plenty to do, but if there's anyone in Tokyo over that time who fancies meeting up for a drink or dinner or something, that'd be really cool.

I'm pretty sure we have at least two Tokyo-situated people here (Hawken and rasmus), but I don't usually pay attention to location so I hope there's more! :)

If anyone's going to be around during/after New Year, we could get a little meet-up going.

I'll be staying in Shinjuku but can get pretty much anywhere within reason.

Also if anyone has suggestions for awesome stuff to do or see, I'd love to hear 'em!

Replies

• Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Not in tokyo. But I've been. Such an awesome place and far too much to see and do.

Get yourself to Mandarake in Nakano. Mandarake is a manga, anime, toy, book, etc, etc etc. shop that has sort of took over the whole shopping mall. There is far too much awesomeness. I spend a full day there just trying to take it all in.

They also smaller stores about but not nearly as impressive as Nakano. I also went to the one in Shibuya which is pretty cool.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandarake

http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/shop/en/

p.s. I regreted not having more money. Expect to spend lots.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Aw, lucky, love Tokyo (been there 5 times, never in winter though).

Make sure to eat lots of different stuff, so many great dishes (half the reason I love it so much, heh).

I'm sure you won't have a prob finding stuff to do. There are some cool one-day trips that you can do from Tokyo, like Kamakura, Nikko, or Yokohama.

There are two Kinokuniya libraries north and south of the Shinjuku JR station, usually lots of cool books to browse (arts and stuff, found lots of great photo-ref books and artbooks there).
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    ~ I think Lamont lives in Tokyo.. He bumbles through here now and then I believe.
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    Tokyo is a very overwhelming city. Your mind will be blown. If you haven't been there before, prepare yourself for culture shock. And it's just like the anime's. No, really. lol...
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    東京はすげだな!
    Im planning to go there in some time in 2011
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    Go to Akihabara! Trust me it is worth to go there.
  • ninjatofu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's a Mandarake in Akihabara as well. I dropped waaay too much money on artbooks when I was there back in August.

http://www.mandarake.co.jp/en/shop/cmp.html
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawken and Lamont live there.

Great place to kiss your worries away.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    My favourite mandarake is in Shibuya. Love their slogan: "rulers of time!" It's certainly true, you can spend hours in those places just poring over books.

After Jan 1st is good for me MoP - will mail you.

If we do a meet - lets hope Rasmus now has a phone - Thursday the 6th would be best, as it co-incides with the weekly tokyo game dev booze up, you'll get to meet a bunch of alcoholic industry types.
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Back from vacation on the 7th I think, so a bit tight but would be fun to see who the hell this MoP guy is :) Drop me a line!
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome man, I want to go there someday.

Take good pics! :)
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    I used to live in Tokyo, and I am going there with my girlfriend over the newyears and some.
    25th December - 8th January.

I'd love to hook up with some of you guys.
    Got some days planned, but hopefully we can figure something out!

日本語でも話せるから、問題ないよ!w
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can't make it for the 6th, but since all you do is hang out at bars anyway Hawken, you wouldn't mind coming out on say the 8th as well, would you? (I have this "phone" of which you speak, it's really neat!) 7th is a big maybe for me (fresh off the plane), but 8-9th no problem.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Cool stuff, thanks for the info everyone!

Hawken: Sounds great, I'll make sure Thursday 6th is free for me :)

rasmus: Absolutely, maybe a day on the weekend, then?

thatanimator: Hehe, cool - sounds like you should come along to this game dev thing that Hawken mentioned?
    My Japanese is intensely limited, I'm going to have to run that through a translator... oh, heh, good for you - maybe you can translate for me :D

I guess I'll have to pick up some sort of cheap temporary phone to use over there. I heard you can get 'em at the airport, any idea how much they cost for something pre-pay?

My only issue now is to hope that the UK airports get their shit together and deal with the snow we've been getting - Heathrow was pretty much shut down this weekend, and I'm leaving in a week... I hope my flights go ok :/
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds good, PM'd ya.

You can also get a prepaid phone by walking into any SoftBank (phone company) with your passport and they set you up on the spot, should set you back 5-8000yen for phone + precharge I think.
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just called my girlfriend to check when I'm available (she's got a schedule..)
    I've got a couple of days that I'm free...

We are planning to take wedding photos on the 6th.. like dress up and take pictures..
    But that is from 10AM, and should not take longer than 6hours. So I should be done by 5PM.

Ain't got a japanese phone, and I'm not gonna get a prepaid one. Gonna bring my old Softbank super cool cell though. Still got the sim-card and stuff..maybe I can get it working.

otherwise, I'll just use my gf's phone.
    I can go for a drink or food 6PM and later (after the pictures!).

hope I can get some numer or mail that I can contact!
    yay! :)

( NOT GOING TO ROPPONGI BTW! )
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    can I suggest that when you come to Japan, you should rent a mobile phone from the airport. it's only $50 and makes about 10,000% difference to your stay.

Practically every payphone has been removed from Tokyo, they simply don't exist any more.
  • bilbana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bilbana polycounter lvl 17
    Hey MoP, I live in Tokyo.
    The company I work for goes on holiday during the new year until the 5th so I'm free any day if you want to hook up.
    I'll probably come along for the 8th with Rasmus as well.
    I also recommend the phone thing, you'll need it.

Hawken, what's this thing on the 6th?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hawken, yeah, I'll definitely do that. I have yours and Rasmus' numbers already. I guess I'll send a text or call or something when I get the phone just so you have my number too.

bilbana, cool - you should come along to this thing on the 6th if you can, sounds like it's in the evening? 8th would also be good, sounds like we already have a good little crew together for that :)

And yeah we should figure out something good to do on the 8th, any suggestions of good places for dinner, rasmus (since you know the place!)? We can figure something out closer to the time anyway, I'm sure there are plenty of options in a small area.

thatanimator: Why not going to Roppongi? :O

I'm still a bit unsure of whether my flight is even going to leave the UK on the right day due to this frozen weather, but dammit I will make it there somehow! :)
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP wrote: »
    thatanimator: Why not going to Roppongi? :O

dude.. no :poly127:
    (why go to asia to just be in a place full of whiefolk? not to forget, "hey bro, want to see some big titties?" every 5meters:poly141:)

I spoke to my gf about getting a phone. she and her family all have AU so we checked that first. when I was living there, I used Softbank (still have the phone and the simcard! hah!)
    Im just gonna bring my current Swedish phone.. as long as I get somebodys number I'll just call for 1minute anyways. "hey, you guys said you'd be here now. where are you" and what not :) dont need a rental for that..
    unless a pre-paid simcard would work in my Softbank phone! :poly136:

enough phone talk.

whats the plan? :)
    I know we're all aiming to get pissed and talk about polygons and whatever they are called.

but, anyone fancy some Tekken? heh.. hey, just trying to move away from the phone stuff ;D
    I was playing tekken everyday when I lived there. abouy 7000 matches spread out on 4 different characters/cards, with a winratio of 70% ;), my proudest japan moment.. you all kick my ass modeling, now let me kick your asses!! ;D
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Heh, fair enough - I don't really know much about Roppongi, I guess I will find out when I'm there. Maybe just go to that area on one day, I have two weeks so it shouldn't feel like a waste :)

Tekken is fun, but I haven't really played it since Tekken 2 on the Playstation, and certainly never in arcades... I would lose so badly... wouldn't mind a game though, I guess, especially if there are other noobs around :)
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Damn it. Too far!!
  • bilbana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP: I'll try to get there on the 6th. Sound like a lot of fun. PM'ing you my details.
    Roppongi is not all bad, as long as you stay out of Roppongi crossing.
    In fact there are several places I would recommend that are in Roppongi.

About the 8th, leave that to me and Rasmus and we'll think of something.

Thatanimator:
    70% winratio! That's an impressive feat. I used to play some streetfighter 3 but always got hammered at the arcades here.
    Congratulations on your marriage btw(You are getting married right?), I myself got married this summer.
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I actually used to work a bit at an animation company in Roppongi. it was way off from the crossing (had to go through it anyways though, station was there!). So Roppongi as a whole is not that bad I guess, but yeah.. the crossing area and such.
    Fuck, I practically am a shibuya-kid, so who am I to talk about bad places in Tokyo ;D

Hope we all get a plan going! :D 6th sounds like a hot-ticket right now eh! :)
    (maybe we could have a less official meeting before that as well? the ones who have time)

bilbana, JUST noticed your nick and connected it to Swedish :) gifta mig, i sverige T_T mars..
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Roppongi is certainly worth visiting once in your life.

I've lived in Shibuya for the past 7 years.
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken wrote: »
    I've lived in Shibuya for the past 7 years.
    dude.. what did you guys do to my beloved Namcoland.. turned it into Eggnam, some purikura infected girl cootie spot!:poly127:
    had my school in shibuya, spent everyday there.. love it, very envious :) see you there haha :poly142:
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    OK, my flight is tomorrow morning, so this is the last time I'll post in this thread (from the UK anyway!).

For people aiming to meet up, I will probably look something like this:
    http://www.greveson.co.uk/dump/mop_tokyo.jpg

Will be wearing my greentooth t-shirt prominently just so there's no confusion :)

I have contact details for Bilbana, Hawken, and Rasmus. Will check this thread again over there if I get the chance, otherwise it's all on the phones from now on!

Really looking forward to this trip, and will see some of you guys out there hopefully! :D
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP wrote: »
    For people aiming to meet up, I will probably look something like this:
    http://www.greveson.co.uk/dump/mop_tokyo.jpg

oh god...
  • papagersi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    papagersi polycounter lvl 16
    Wow..Sounds fun.. I will be there.
    I wanna work in Japan !
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    finally asked if I could use my father in laws computer..

got my prepaid card for my old phone (fuk ye! dont need one of those ugly gaijin ones).
    thatanimator@softbank.ne.jp
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gents:

Nakameguro Station (main exit)
    8:30pm
    This Thursday (tomorrow!)

We'll be gate crashing 8-4's weekly game dev piss up.

cheers!
  • bilbana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet, will be there.
    See ya all tomorrow then!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hey, I just got back to the UK this afternoon, it was an awesome trip and I really want to go back to Tokyo again at some point in the near future (although armed with more Japanese linguistic knowledge!).

Thanks to Hawken, Bilbana, thatanimator and Rasmus for hooking up - big props to Hawken for taking us out to a nice little bar for fun and games until 4am, it was a good night :)

I have to apologise to Rasmus (and Mattias!) for my poor organisation on Saturday night - my friends and I had already made plans before I saw that Polycount people were planning on meeting in Shibuya at 7pm, it was pure chance that we were going past there at the same time.
    I hope you guys had a good night anyway, we ended up in a bar drawing cat faces and curly pirate moustaches on random Japanese people's faces using Tiffany's eyeliner pen, another fun night, heh!

Also worth noting: Drawing on napkins in bars will get you noticed by hot Japanese girls! ;)

Anyway yeah, it was a great holiday and cool to meet you guys (however briefly!), if I'm back over there again I will try harder to get myself organised for meet-ups!

Kampai!
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No sweat, we had reservations for one of those "eat-sushi-on-naked-chicks"-joints with free booze, where we were gonna meet up with Ueda, Mizuguchi, Inaba and the rest of the boys, but hey, better luck next time eh! *

* Blatant lies. But glad you had fun.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    post some pics, i bet you got some great photos
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry I had to leave so early. had "dem serious planz" the next day.
    would have loved to had the chance to talk more to you guys..

meh, it was a good couple of hours :)

if there were any pics taken, dont forget to shoop me into them later ;) I can provide sdk pictures
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5348159673_7d914f2427_o.jpg

pimping ain't easy
  • bilbana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No problem Mop, sorry about not showing up at Quattro, got stuck at this place with free beer, eating sushi from naked...I mean...never mind.
    See you next time and good luck with the game, like I said it looks pretty damn cool.
    Too bad you couldn't stay longer thatanimator but you'll be back soon right?
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesus-Resurrection-01.jpg
    RESURRECTION

I'm gonna head over to Tokyo again - again, 26th August - 7th September
    wondering if we could round up a few again like last time? :)

I'd suggest we go to that tittie-bar-izakaya in shinjuku.. tacky and all dat!
    went there with a friend last time as I was showing him around, had never been there myself. was actually kinda amusing, the concept they have...

and as always, if anybody wants to try to have a go at me in Tekken or any other arcade games... :)
    if anybody wins in Tekken, I'll buy that person a beer or similar at the izakaya! one beer per won match!
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I should set you up with my friend Scott in Tokyo. He's pretty awesome at fighting games.

I should be back in February.
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll take that challenge! ;)