Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Treasuretown - WIP - UDK

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
POFFINGTON polycounter lvl 11
HEY POLYCOUNTERS! This is one of my final levels I am going to graduate with at the end of school. It is based off the movie Tekkonkinkreet. I really loved the over all environmental art style of the movie. Here is a first pass of the level. I hope to go back and really redo almost everything, at least texture wise. I graduate in about 6 months so 2 more Qrts.

Here is some reference I used to come up with the level.
tekkonkinkreet2.jpg
tk06.jpg
tekkonkinkreet.jpg

And here are some screenshots of the level.
TT1.jpg
TT2.jpg
TT3.jpg
TT4.jpg
TT5.jpg

As well as a link to a video demonstrating a couple of camera angles I was thinking of for my portfolio demo reel.

http://vimeo.com/17944012

All CRITS WELCOME! The more the better, so I can make the changes this level needs!

Replies

• TortillaChips
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    Nice work, really like how it's full of colour :) Somethings may be a tad too saturated like the red wood on the green building, but apart from that I like it.
  • PLyczkowski
    Offline / Send Message
    PLyczkowski polycounter lvl 14
    I, on the other hand, prefer less saturated and more rugged look of the first reference.
  • Czar
    I like it, but I agree with TortillaChips that some things look TOO saturated like the red wood on the green building. Getting a bit of a Brink vibe too (in a good way :) ).

The red tiles on the floor in the first two shots look kind of odd. I don't know what it is, I think maybe the grouting is too clean, and in general looks more like something you'd see indoors than outdoors.
  • POFFINGTON
    Offline / Send Message
    POFFINGTON polycounter lvl 11
    Wow you guys are already helping! Def right about the textures being too saturated. I think I was trying to compensate and just pushed it a little too far.

Czar- about the tiles I was talking to Mike H. from Rockstar when he came to our school and he said instead of just a flat plane with mesh painting, that I should actually model the tiles out. I think that might take care of some of the awkwardness maybe?
  • HAL
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Yeah, definitly, atm they lack depth, either you model them out if it fits into your polygon budget or you use normal maps/ parrallax maps instead