Home General Discussion

Moving to LA!

Okay so before I get into the LA side of the story. I would like to tell you about what just happened to me. It is sort of a horror story with college admissions.

So I applied to 2 schools about 2 months ago. One LA. One NYC. I got into the LA school around the 1st of December. So I proceeded to call the nyc school trying to figure out when I would hear back. My first choice was nyc due to how much closer nyc is compared to la. For 4 weeks I called the nyc school. Every week they told me the same thing. "If you can, hold out another week and you will hear from us".

Today I called and asked for someone in charge of my major's applications. They said he was out but when I started to explain what has been happening, they transferred me. When I was transferred he proceeded to tell me that they were not accepting spring transfers for computer animation major. Then he proceeded to, pardon my language, take a shit on the other school I got accepted to.

I have decided to leave out the nyc school name because even though this happened to me. I still respect the school... just not their admissions department.

The LA school is Otis College of Art and Design. I know people are probably going to have opinions about it but please leave the negative out. For once I'm looking forward to my future. I have spent the past semester at a community college that was the worst experience ever.

So anyone live in LA? Any suggestions? I'm really looking forward to the big move!

Replies

• Shogun3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    What part of LA? (I'm originally from LA)
  • Talbot
    HERE

10 feet north of the airport. hahahaha :P
  • crazyfingers
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Grats man, looks like we'll have one more for a potential SoCal meetup, and good luck with school! There's a good number of game companies in the area too so i'd start looking into internships right away, you just never know what might turn up.

Wish i had some advice for ya but i've never lived in LA and any time i visit i just feel like an ignorant tourist. All i know is there's horrible traffic and people enjoy giving me parking tickets/ towing my car.
  • parasyte7
    Offline / Send Message
    parasyte7 polycounter lvl 18
    Otis is a great school. One of the few art schools I have respect for. They have a great 2d department. Congrats man and work hard.
  • Shogun3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Cool, that's very close to Santa Monica beach which has the promenade and nice parks/beaches along the way. Lots of things to do there, no shortage at all just try to stay away from places in East LA and sketchy areas like Compton and Inglewood (they've made movies after these places for a reason). LA is huge and diverse, lots of latinos and asians and with that comes a tidal wave of awesome food. Just use yelp when looking up places to go, etc.

You're also close to Hollywood and Malibu so don't hesitate to go check out those places they have tons of clubs and places to shop/eat.

Have fun in LA :)
  • parasyte7
    Offline / Send Message
    parasyte7 polycounter lvl 18
    I use to live 5 minutes from Otis. Playa Vista is really nice. There is a great Crepes place by there as well. I still have dreams of the Nutella Crepes. Hmmmmmmmmm.
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I lived in LA for a while... lots of stuff to do.. and even better lots of studios! Good luck man!
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I live 2 minutes away from Otis.

Consider yourself lucky that you are moving to my favorite part of LA (to live in that I can afford)
    Playa del Rey is great for the following reasons.
    1. not filled with tourists.
    2. not filled with homeless people (LA is the homeless capital of the US unfortunately...)
    3. near the beach.

Otis is a good school, so you should be happy about going there.

Advice:
    Eat at the following nearby places-
    The Counter (for the best burger you can get if you're under 21)
    El Tarasco (for cheap delicious mexican food in gigantic portions)
    Cafe Milan (for awesome breakfasts)

There are of course many amazing places to eat in LA, but those are really close to Otis and favorites of mine.

parasite: did you live in fountain park? I used to live there...
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Otis is supposed to be great, congrats! It's a great area too.
  • Talbot
    Thanks for the support you guys! I'm really excited to be moving. Quick question that I may make another thread for if I can't get an answer.

How should I ship stuff? My desktop computer for example. How much should that cost (Maine to Cali)
  • Tom Ellis
    Talbot wrote: »
    For once I'm looking forward to my future.

Reading stuff like this makes me happy! Big congrats man, enjoy it!
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I used Mayflower to ship all my stuff from Seattle to Santa Monica as suggest by pretty much everyone when I asked. Worked great for me.

And welcome to LA. Recently moved here myself. So far I got to say LA kinda sucks lol. There are some good spots for sure, I absolutely love Santa Monica, except for the cost of living. There are great places all over LA to eat and junk. But as a city, its ugly, dirty, homeless infested, smoggy skys, crime filled and traffic that will crush your soul!

But it sounds from everything everyone else is saying your moving to a good spot so that nice. Just make sure you live close/walking distance to school work. Its so worth it even if you are paying more for rent!
  • Talbot
    Hey so I'm about a week away from moving.

How's the public transportation around there? or is it nonexistent?
  • Striff
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    There is a subway in LA. I am not positive if it goes over to the LAX area but I'm sure you can take a bus. I have taken public transportation in LA a couple times and while it is defiantly not the cleanest or nicest in the world it gets you where you need to be so I can't complain.

Union Station is in downtown and Amtrak stops there. You can get to San Diego and San Fransisco from there. If you have anymore questions about LA let me know.
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Hey so I'm about a week away from moving.

How's the public transportation around there? or is it nonexistent?

There are buses, that's it. I've never used one myself. You'll figure out that you need a car soon enough.

The subway in miniature in scope. Doesn't come close to the westside.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    10 feet north of the airport. hahahaha :P

Good luck with that :P Was it rent free? :P
  • Talbot
    Andreas wrote: »
    Good luck with that :P Was it rent free? :P

Not literally. The school is there. I'm looking at apartments a little north of there. Not far though. I've heard that LAX isn't a big issue on that side.

Anyone know anything about ISP's in LA? I know Fios isn't available. And Time warner I have now and they cap their upload a shit ton. Suggestions?
  • Striff
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm....I think they have SBC and Comcast there...might want to give those a look.
  • Talbot
  • blankslatejoe
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    congrats talbot! And good luck with your move!
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Otis, I have heard, is lovely. My anatomy teacher teaches there as well, and she is one of the smartest people I have met. Hopefully you will need to take her class! (Marjan Hormozi, I believe, is her name)
  • bounchfx
    congrats dude!

and regardless of the school - it's absolutely about how much effort you put in. Good luck!
  • Talbot
    Thanks guys! I appreciate it!
  • Talbot
    Anything else on ISP's? I don't really want to go time warner or comcast. I was just wondering if you local guys had any suggestions...
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I use time warner. No problems with it. And I use my net hard. rock hard. throbbing even.
  • Talbot
    Yeah that's what I have right now. And I feel like they cap the upload a lot. Just out of curiousity... would you mind doing a speedtest?

This is what I have right now:
    1096968320.png
  • .polygon
    Offline / Send Message
    .polygon polycounter lvl 11
  • DEElekgolo
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    Oh cool a fellow LA polycounter! I'm not too far from Otis but my sister has been trying to get me to go to Gnomon.

I use AT&T Uverse. It is pretty damn fast and pretty cheap for what you are getting.
    1097201912.png
    Almost the same speed as yours but at a much lower price.
  • Talbot
    Sadly, I just checked and Uverse isn't available where I'm going to be... which is sort of annoying.
  • Viobiacax
    You start with a $25 balance Why you should join today... You start with a $25 balance and it's free. PayBox will add up to $20 per day to your account for participating as we prepare to launch our new service. You get $10 per person you refer to PayBox. You'll be an EarlyBird user?before PayBox opens to the public. You'll help shape the development of the best payment system ever designed for the Internet. You could have hundreds or thousands of dollars in your account by the time we launch, without ever making a deposit! You start with a $25 balance ]c6cce246b42e.jpg Quality music is cheap legally 1,000,000 Tracks 468x60.jpg
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I might be getting a job at a Studio in Burbank.. I was looking at living in Pasadena cause it looks like a nice neighborhood, do you guys think the traffic will be too bad from there to Burbank? Or should I find a place to live in Burbank, is it nice?

Sorry for stealing your topic!
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    ErichWK wrote: »
    I might be getting a job at a Studio in Burbank.. I was looking at living in Pasadena cause it looks like a nice neighborhood, do you guys think the traffic will be too bad from there to Burbank? Or should I find a place to live in Burbank, is it nice?

Burbank and Pasadena are both quite nice. If you know where you're going to work, then I'd get a place within biking distance, but that's just my preference. Every minute in a commute is a minute of life wasted imho.
  • DEElekgolo
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    ErichWK wrote: »

My sister has to go to Pasadena frequently from around Burbank. The traffic is good but it depends on the time of day. She gets good traffic at around 5-7AM or 2-5PM.
  • Striff
    Offline / Send Message
    Traffic in LA is terrible in general at all times of days, but if your going to go between Burbank and Pasadena I don't think it will be as bad as the rest of LA traffic. That being said, it's probably not going to be good, but it's going to be way better than trying to drive on the 405.
  • superZ61
    LA is beast, live it, breathe it, and eat it good food=Philippe the Original
    1001 N Alameda St, Los Angeles, CA 90012-1803 (don't know anyone that works there, if you can go there for cheap and goood food)
  • Talbot
    Well... I MADE IT!

I'm going to be really honest and say that I was shaking when I got off the plane. And I almost threw up from the stress that night. It is a huge change to go from Maine to LA in January. Especially when I hadn't been further west than Cleveland. I got off the plane... went to talk to my landlord who I had never met... see an apartment I had never seen... meet a potential roommate... and see the school for the first time. It was a lot to commit to. But everything is amazing. I love my apartment and I'm getting a roommate in a month.

The school is also amazing. It is going to be a lot of work but I think it will get me to where I want to be.

Plus my internet is faster than it was at home.
    1108944675.png
  • blankslatejoe
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    nice! good luck out there Talbot!
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Go to THE COUNTER and get a burger.
  • Talbot
    aesir wrote: »

I'll be sure to check it out. Possibly tomorrow night!
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Go In and Out Burger.

As Donnie said "Those are good burgers".

Walter Sobchek says "Shut the fuck up Donnie... and yes, those are good burgers".

As mentioned before, Burbank to Pasedena isn't bad for LA, but it's still pretty bad (notably the 210/101 juncture).

A good website to view the current state of freeway traffic is:
    www.sigalert.com (<--bookmark this site)
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    Go In and Out Burger.

Yes yes yes. There's also a great sushi place out in the valley (sadly, can't recall the name) that has lots of blue neon inside. It's a small joint, but that sushi is fucking amazing.
  • Talbot
    Yeah I went to in and out burger the other day. Thoughts:

The people working there aren't retarded.
    Fries are way overrated. They were styrofoamy.
    Burgers were... good for fast food.

More thoughts on Otis after I spent more time there today. It is a very up to date school. Every computer lab has 27" monitors with a macpro AND dell xps (or something pc) hooked up. So you have 2 computers always. All around the building are tvs with the new itvs hooked up to each. So they have stream stuff on them all the time.

Everything is really working out. We need to do a Southern Cali pc meet up though!
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    You weren't impressed by In n Out Burger?!?! .....blasphemy...
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I am also unimpressed and I'm a Californian.

I also may have overeaten there as a teen...
  • ibarter
    Offline / Send Message
    ibarter polycounter lvl 8
    aesir wrote: »

I second this, just went there for the first time the other day and it was great.
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    Well at least you're gonna get a taste of the awesomeness that is Southern Californian Mexican Food.
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Korean BBQ in Koreatown is by far THEE best korean food on the planet.... (and I'm including Korea).

Some of the best Korean chefs moving to the US, and are able to use FRESH ingredients picked that morning. Fresh meat from the butchers...

... rather than stuff packaged and sent frozen to korea.

I highly recommend a place called Soot Bul Jeep.

:D
  • ceebee
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    Hollywood resident here. I'm actually closer to Super Happy Cow now that I've moved out of North Hollywood (I'm closer to my school, Gnomon, now). We should definitely have a SoCal Polycount meetup.
  • Talbot
    What is there to do alone near Marina Del Ray? I walked around but I can't think of anything else to really do... Other than spend money at a shop. I just don't have anything to really do tomorrow.