Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Temple Angkor Wat

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
I keep putting off displaying any of this stuff, because I keep seeing things that I want to fix before I show anything; but at this rate, I won’t show anything until I am completely finished, and I don’t want that because I actually want your feedback so I can improve upon what I am doing. With all that said, this is obviously still very much a WIP, but I think I have enough to start to show what I am doing. This started out as a test for a company (please don’t speculate – I’m sure many of you can figure it out). It obviously wasn’t successful for them, but I really enjoyed making it, and I wanted to go through the process of sculpting several of the pieces and texturing them.
The meshes that still have the default checkers on them will be replaced by modular static elements. I also want to add in some more plants (and more vines/plant life hanging from trees and on the mountains), and build out a top spire piece for the roof.
I am using a few tiling textures from the UDK source files right now: the moss and the tiling mountain textures that are Lerp’d with my own textures. Also, the water and the skybox are default right now as well.
I am also showing one of the pieces in Zbrush. I’ll probably show a few more of them off as I get more done (I've got to redo the texture on my column to match this wall base). A big part of what I am trying to improve on is my Zbrush to lowpoly and texture workflow.
So, please let me know what you think of it so far. I want to make this as good as I can.

mountain_temple_dschultz_01.jpg

wall_base_zbrush.jpg

Replies

• Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    Loving the tree there full of character and you get the sense that it is living around this structure, but i think the roots in my opinion could have a bit more variety/life in them. They all just fall a lil bit at the moment i got a bonsai tree and i have had it for a few years now and it is in a small pot with some soil and they are wiggling round all over the soil looking for food or water (not sure didnt really listen in biology. So, i dunno i would suggest have them wrapped round the ground.

As for the zbrush love it, maybe a bit more erosion in it, with a few cracks. But keep it going really like this scene you got going!
  • Addieo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fantastic tree and that rock is real nice, the temple of what we can see looks awesome so far. On the bottom left of the render the tree defies gravity a bit though.
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo: Thanks, man! Yeah, I've been struggling with making the tree roots feel like they have enough variation and organic quality. I've been basically following a couple of images I have. I am hoping that when I get some of the roof tiles in I can make it feel like it's grown a bit more into the tile. I'll definitely give it some more attention. I appreciate the feedback.

Addieo: Thank you! Yeah, I need to work on that area for sure. I need to pull that in a bit more, and pull out some more smaller roots below it. I know it's a bit hard to see from just this one angle. I need to spend more time with the UDK camera to figure out how to get some other angles. It's the first time I've messed with it.
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    This is really pretty! Those rocks are stunning!
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    wire001.JPG
    Reminds me of my art test for ND a looooooooooong time ago.

I like your zbrush work. check this guys thread for reference and how to get the most out of your materials! http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78690

I bet you can pull something as awesome as that one! i'll keep my eye on your thread!
    038.jpg
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan: Thank you! I used the mountain material from the Epic GDC mountains (because they looked so amazing), and it really helps make them pop.

glottis8: Thanks! Yeah, I really like what Jordan pulled off in that scene. I used the same world normal stuff (I think) he was talking about with his plants. I've been trying to glean as much as I can from the UDK materials, because I'm not much of a shader guy. I have a long way to go, hehe.
  • Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    hey not sure if you know about it, but a great way to do those roots would be to make a EP wire in the desired form you want the root to be.
    Then select a face you want to extrude to make the toot click on the EP curve then hit extrude and whack up the divisions.

If you have used this sweet, if not hope you understand it, let me know if it works out.

Also, is this for an art test i was roaming the pimp section and someone else is doing something similar?!
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Yea... its a good portfolio piece if you finish everything. I think this will look great on your portfolio. You can add more detail tho. I know most of that is gonna go in through zbrush. But i am looking forward to looking at your work.
    Sharvo wrote: »
    Also, is this for an art test i was roaming the pimp section and someone else is doing something similar?!

This was ND art test for env artists... i remember when i put mine up for cirtique i got a bunch of people telling me i was gonna get in trouble if i went around showing this to people... but hey.. how can we make a portfolio piece if we don't get any critique?
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Couple of new images from Zbrush. I'll have some more updates on the lowres stuff soon. I've got some more baking out and placement I need to do. I'm also getting a weird lighting issue where a few things are turning black during the baking process even though they are in full-on light. The same materials bake out fine on a mesh right beside them. Hopefully, I can get this rectified soon. The front tree in the first image isn't baked out as a result (so it looks pretty bright).

temple_column.jpg

roof_BPR__single.jpg
  • Zelenkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelenkov polycounter lvl 9
    great stone architecture!
  • Razgriz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    Fantastic stone. I'm guessing that these pieces will definitely be tiled/reused, so don't go sparingly on texture size, or all of that beautiful detail is going to disappear. I would even multiply the normal map a bit so it pops enough, it's sculpted a bit shallow, and the zbrush renders can definitely be deceiving with ao and all.

The exposure on the first image seems really bright and blown out, I would put a bit of work into scene lighting so we can see your beautiful sculpts in their correct setting.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    I'm in love with your carved stone.

Can you do a quick demo of your workflow for the intricate engraving? I've got a project I'm trying to get off dead center that has a lot of engraved murals and scrollwork, but I haven't mastered the fine art of it yet in zBrush...
  • Builder_Anthony
    I think you just planned this one out and took it slow.The variation is differnt in alot of places but macthes up smoothly.Its just really balanced out well.
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelenkov: Thanks, man!
    Razgriz: Thank you for the suggestions. You're probably right; I will need to pop out some of the normals a bit more. YEah, my lighting is a bit shitty right now. It doesn't look quite as bad when the front tree is baked properly, but it still needs a lot of work.

Garagebay9: Thank you! As for my process, I'm still figuring this stuff out as well. I can try and give you some info, and if you want something more specific just ask, and I'd be happy to go into more detail. A lot of the decorative detail is taken from alphas that I have placed using projection master. For some of the detail I couldn't find textures I wanted to use, so I made simple meshes in Max with splines and brought them back into Zbrush where I enhanced them and then made alphas out of them that I projected back onto my meshes. Storing morph targets before you use projection master is key. This will allow you to go back and add variation to the intensity of the detail, and if you already have some sculpted cracks etc. below you can erase the decorative detail to reveal the damage below. Also, using the repeat line tool (not sure what the name is) in projection master and setting the stroke repeat to about .98 or so will allow you to draw out an alpha in a line and repeat seamlessly.

As for brushes, the clay tubes and clay buildup are great, and all of the new trim brushes are excellent. I've really enjoyed using the trim dynamic, trim dynamic trail, and trim front, as well as hpolish.

Builder_Anthony: THanks! Yeah, I've been going slow alright. Hehe.
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are a couple of new shots. I put in the roofs minus the tile end pieces which are still in block out form. I'm currently making the walls and I want to add one more low to mid level plant/bush, and add some more plant life to the roofs and mountain tops, add a stonework spire, rework some of the roots on the ground (I know one of them is sticking out of the ground in a weird way right now),and do some better vertex painting on the ground where the temple and plants are, so they don't look like they are floating.

If you see anything else, please let me know. Thanks.

mountain_temple_dschultz_011811_02.jpg

mountain_temple_dschultz_011811.jpg
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a render from Zbrush of the wall tile. Off to texturing and baking, and hopefully I will have another update soon.

I know the image is small, sorry. It was too late last night for me to redo it when I realized my normal render size didn't work for this one.

temple_wall_012911.jpg
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    You definitely have some nice sculpts however I think the lighting may be washing out your details. Try to have a set directional light as your primary source and bounce off of that to really pop out the details in your models. You have all these cool details that i'm unable to see.
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks so amazing :) I thinking of doing a scene like this too and was just donering about your z-brush goodness and how you went about it?

Do you use alot of alphas? and how did you do the women in the last picture?
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaburan: Thanks! Yeah, I agree my lighting needs to be reworked. I do have a dominant directional light setup, and I've tried to go off of what I have seen in the other UDK scenes and modify them to my scene. I'll have to re-examine that for sure. If I can't figure it out, I'll definitely start asking more questions, because I want to get this right.

SaferDan: THanks! If you look back a few posts I went into a bit more detail about what I have been doing in Zbrush. I used the same techniques for the wall. For the woman, I used an alpha that I made from an image and projected it onto a plane. I then sculpted out from that (clay buildup and inflate) and then chiseled away certain parts. I was just thinking I could probably try and re-project that original image back on what I sculpted at a lesser intensity, if I wanted to get back some of the detail I lost when I sculpted out the forms. It probably doesn't matter though, because I want it to be pretty beat up like it was in my ref images.
  • looprix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looprix polycounter lvl 8
    Nd test ...I feel your pain. The scene is coming along and looking fantastic. Keep going! Can't wait for the final.

You could probably take bigger chunks out of the stone structures in Zbrush.
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah i see it! Sorry about that! It's looking awesome man :)
  • Priske415
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh my gosh I love this, really great work man.
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looprix: Thanks, man! Yeah, I've been going back and forth on where to take out chunks in Zbrush, because I don't want it to look too repetitive when I place meshes side by side; but I do think I should probably take some bigger chunks out of the wall and doorframe.

SaferDan: No worries. If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them as best I can.

Priske415: Thanks! Trying to push my stuff to a new level. "Trying" being the key word.
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's been awhile... I have had a few things come up that have kept me busy, but I finally have a pretty big update. There are still things I know I need to fix: (1) The bridge is still stub (working on that), (2) I want to add in some background mountains to fill in the bg, (3) The fog around the top of the mountain is too intense and the placement/form isn't quite right (still playing around with this), (4) There are a few leaf planes on the back tree that look weird.

If you see anything else you think I am overlooking please let me know.

Also, does anyone know why the vignetting I have in my post-process chain in UDK isn't showing up in the game viewport when I take screenshots?

Thanks!

mount_temple_032711.jpg

mount_temple_02_032711.jpg
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whoa this is awesome, ive been promising my girlfriend id take her to Angkor Watt for years, I might just show her this, looks spot on. Congratulations dude, you've nailed it!
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Check your postprocess chain? Otherwise it looks awesome.

EDIT: i need to learn to read the ENTIRE post before i make my replies.
  • Grey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really liking the change in lighting dtschultz. So glad that youve continued working on this! btw...no idea about the vignetting.
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    this is badasss, keep it going
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    looks nice dude. once you address those issues you brought up, it will be great to see it all come together. definitely agree about all the points you brought up.

might just be my personal taste, but this feels a bit too desaturated. a little more saturation and some splotches of additional/different color along with some lighter shadows might go a long way here.
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    scotthomer: Thank you! Yeah, I would love to go there and see it in person. Maybe one day.

Visceral: Hah! THanks! Yeah, I'm going to keep poking around in that chain to see if I can figure it out. I have it enable in game view supposedly, but still no dice.

Grey: Thanks! Yeah, thanks for giving me feedback throughout! It's been a big help.

snake85027: Thanks! Yep, hope to have this wrapped up soon.

Firebert: Thanks! Yeah, I've been trying to sneak some color back in to keep it from looking too flat. I should probably try and bring a bit more back into a couple of the focal points like you suggest.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    scotthomer wrote: »
    Whoa this is awesome, ive been promising my girlfriend id take her to Angkor Watt for years, I might just show her this, looks spot on. Congratulations dude, you've nailed it!

"See honey? It's so immersive i technically HAVE taken you there!"
  • synergy11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    synergy11 polycounter lvl 6
    Hello dtschultz, Amazing job thus far.

Angkor Wat is a fantastic place.

If its not too much to ask, can you post close ups and wires of your foliage and ground cover leaves?

Are the leaves hand painted in PS or did you use photo's?

Thanks!

Chris.
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry wrote: »
    "See honey? It's so immersive i technically HAVE taken you there!"

Aahaha, if only that where true, id have been to the moon and back on Polycount alone...
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Looks great! like something form uncharted or somethin
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Scene is looking great. Really like the tree.

Your pillars though look a little too "perfect" and your foliage is a little over much of the same color. Add some more variation in there even if its slight tonal shifts I think it would break up the look of just green leaves. You have some nice variation between the different foliage but on the leaves and plants they all look too one color.
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry: Hah! Yeah, I don't think it works that way.
    synergy11: Thanks! I can probably isolate all the plants in UDK and show you wireframes there. I'll try and remember to do that tonight. The textures were all taken from photos and then I painted over them.

aajohnny: Thanks! Trying to get it to that level.

Autocon: Thanks a lot, man! Yeah, I think you are right about the pillars. I had a hard time deciding what I wanted to do there, because I wanted to just make one pillar, but I also wanted it to be pretty damaged in certain areas. One thing I should have done is really beat up one side a bit more, so I could have rotated them and had a more damaged version all in the same column.

As for the plants, you are right. I know I saw some kind of rgb mask (I think that's what it was) in the plant shader in Epic's Foliage Demo. I need to figure out how that was made and do something similar, because that would really help break things up a bit more.
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    Coming along nicely schultz; maybe a tad bit on the bright side though. If your post chain is being a pain in the arse try just creating an actual Post Process volume and see if any of the values you've created show up. Usually the engine.ini points to the default post process so if you're creating an entirely new one instead of modifying the original you should look in there to reassign it.
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac wrote: »
    Coming along nicely schultz; maybe a tad bit on the bright side though. If your post chain is being a pain in the arse try just creating an actual Post Process volume and see if any of the values you've created show up. Usually the engine.ini points to the default post process so if you're creating an entirely new one instead of modifying the original you should look in there to reassign it.

Thanks, man! Good call on the post-process stuff. I'll bet that's the culprit. Thanks, I'll check that out tonight.
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    Looks beautiful! Can you please post the texture you used, or explain how you went about texturing the main temple, it's very convincing I love it.

Thanks!
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Oh this is awesome ... I am interested in makingsomething like an ancient temple and I 'd love to catch all your techniques tips and advices :D ......

Btw how many textures you did and did you use any tiling? How many textures / models in total ? how many modular assets? :) what happened to the first version of the broken roof you did in the previous version?

What texture did you use for tree a tiled or a baked one?How did you do to carve so well the statues liek a bassrelie with multiple level of heights?
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snow: Thanks! I used polypainting in Zbrush and then an AO bake to get most of the detail in the textures. Since I sculpted so much detail, I wanted to get as much detail for the diffuse from that sculpt. Then in Photoshop I just painted/overlayed some higher frequency detail that is harder to achieve in Zbrush (or at least, harder for me).

NAIMA: Thank you! Wow. So many questions. Let's see if I can answer these. So, everything is modular, except for the pieces on the ground. I probably could have made those into some larger statics as well, but because the terrain was so uneven, and I wanted to be able to stack them in a few places to make the areas unique I broke out some of the pieces from the bases of my walls into separate statics. If you look at the zbrush wall base, I recombined those into different statics and made use of all of those pieces all over the scene. On the temple itself, I made one roof piece (the zbrush piece earlier in this thread), and I broke the lowpoly into chunks in Max, and made a couple static variations out of that one piece. I have one column, one wall piece, one roof divider (again with separate pieces, so I could make some variations).

I changed out the side of the roof, because I didn't feel like it was necessary after I looked at more refs. Once I got everything textured and placed, it seemed to stand up better than it had before when everything was grey.

For the tree, it is tiling texture. I used a baked texture initially, and it looked really good in Max, I thought, but it was too pixellated in UDK compared to the rest of my scene, so I redid it with tiling textures. It has two tiling diffuses combined with vert painting, a normal, and a height map. The look of it is different, but I used the shader from the tree in the Foliage Map in UDK. That's a great place to look, if you want to see how to make a great looking tree.

For the statues, I just used an image I found. I created an alpha out of it and used projection master in Zbrush to apply it to my mesh. I then cleaned it up and sculpted in additional detail. My method worked fine for this piece, but if I was going to do it again, I would do the projection in a few steps. I watched a paid tutorial on Gnomon after the fact, where a guy does this same thing in a few stages, and I think it would have been more efficient. He creates a couple different maps, one is a more blurred out version of the image to get the basic height and form without any of the detail. The second version you try and isolate just the detail in the image. It basically just gives you more control, so you don't get so much noise and have to spend too much time cleaning up your mesh using the morph brush and re-sculpting in new clean detail. It's hard to describe. It's worth it to check out the vid "Using Photos as Displacements": http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/products/tutorials/nzu_series/

Hope that helps!
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    You're a gentleman for replying, so it was polypainted in zbrush, is the moss vertex painted or was that done there as well? I'd still love to see some textures, my recent efforts at stone with moss have been less then desirable.

I take it the tree was all done in zbrush?

Lastly your rear rock is that all sculpted in zbrush with a large normal and a small detailed tilable normal overlayed? I'll have to figure out how to sculpt rocks like that, awesome!

Sorry for wracking your brain XD, I truly am in awe.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks thanks alot for all your kind answers :D I am looking foward to start to make something like this for my island ^^ I hope to use with the same effectiveness those projections they look really gret Very cool good job :D ...
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    crazy looking, man! nice work! keep it up!
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snow: A gentleman, hah! I'm not sure about that. :) The moss is vertex painted. I said it in one of my earlier posts, but just to clarify the moss is not my own texture. I am using the same moss texture and moss shader setup Epic used in the GDC foliage demo. It's a great setup. For one channel you have your diffuse, 2nd channel has the moss, 3rd has the moss texture that's run through a power node (I think), which gives you that brighter lichen green. It's pretty sweet.

NAIMA: You're welcome. I look forward to seeing it!

raul: Thanks a lot, man! I'm glad you like it.
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is a Zbrush render of a naga sculpture I'll be placing at the front of the bridge and probably somewhere else around the cliffs. I've cobbled this together from a few references I've found. There are a few things I couldn't see, so I had to guess. The only thing I'm not sure about is on the back where the top shell attaches to the pedestal. I'm not sure if I like being able to see the back of the snakes. I might need to extend the shell to cover that area up. I'll try it and see if I can do it with out screwing up what I've already done.

The base of the pedestal also looks a bit soft in areas to my eye. They look sort of rounded and worn down in the refs, but when I try this it looks a little too bulbous to me. What do you guys think?

This isn't the exact ref I was using, but you can see the form there. http://www.flickr.com/photos/thomasglobal/2525099647/ Yes, the naga is different from this one. I really like this swooping form at the end of these railings, but I really like the detail from this other image I found, so I decided to go with the naga from the other image.

Front
    naga_front_041911.jpg
    Back
    naga_back_041911.jpg
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    are you using anything for reference? like, is this from a game or something?

reminds me alot of

http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&q=naughty+dog+art+test#/d39dw4v

a naughty dog art test
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really nice detailing. i like it alot :)
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius: See first post.
    AnimeAngel: Thanks a lot, man! I appreciate it.
  • mixeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mixeh polycounter lvl 8
    Wow dtschultz, I hate how good you are!

Was all that detail in the Naga Sculpture from an alpha? Any possible insight to your workflow for that asset?