Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Lola - Low poly char study

JR
polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
JR polycounter lvl 15
Hi guys. As I finished my little girl and receive a lot of useful crits, I'm starting another study, to improve my skills and knowledge. This is basicaly a regular sexy cartoonish girl. I'm working on the 2d side before start modeling. Images below are still WIP.

C&C about design, lighting or whatever is very welcome.

lola01.jpg

lola02.jpg

Replies

• haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    I know this is just the concept, but I would be careful with the dark values on the skin. In particular, the shadowing in the cleavage is too dark for her skin tone (it ends up looking more like dirt :poly136:). The lighter and more saturated colors of the shadows on the hands would work better, I think.

I would also be careful with the dark recesses on the face too. Sometimes that kind of thing works well on male characters, but it tends to be unflattering for females because it detracts from the lips (feminine) and emphasizes the chin (masculine). The form you want to create is fine, it's just that you probably want to stay within a more narrow range of values. Women go through a lot of trouble with makeup to emphasize certain facial features so maintaining clarity and readability is a good thing to strive for in your texture.

Looks like a cute character. Looking forward to seeing your progress. :)
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Hey haikai, glad to see you around. Thanks for the tips, very appreciated.
    I've made the changes you suggested, and i think she really looks much better now.:thumbup:

lola03.jpg
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    Really nice concept art man, and very cute character.
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Nice, I like the update! A good concept can always be used as a starting point for your texture too if you work with projections.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yup, nice update!

Only problem still is the mouth. At the moment it feels as if it is sitting on the surface of a balloon, almost as if she was blowing air in her cheeks - instead of being part of the face. Dont hesitate to push things in/pull stuff out!
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks guys.

@haikai: Yeah, that's the idea. I'm gonna use the front and side view as projections on Zapplink as a base for my textures. BTW, what do you think about Zbrush as a painting texture app? I'm aware you use Bodypaint, but have you tried Zbrush yet?

@pior: I tried to make the integration of mouth a little better, adding some small shadows and higjlights at corners... Do you think it's better now?
    Anyway, i believe on the actual 3d model this problem will be totally solved.

There goes an update, with some work on side view.

lola04.jpg
  • Addieo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fantastic concept, were you going to use any more colours? That hair will look awesome.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Hey Addieo. Do you think she's too monochomatic now? Maybe I can use more hues on the final texture.

This is the final concept. I'll start modeling and try to do more elaborate painting work on the 3d model.

lola05.jpg
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    Cool concept so far, I'm liking it. One thing I do notice though is her feet are a bit long. Also I hope you don't sculpt the hair like a lot of people do, alpha planes for this would looks sweet!
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    jramauri wrote: »
    @haikai: Yeah, that's the idea. I'm gonna use the front and side view as projections on Zapplink as a base for my textures. BTW, what do you think about Zbrush as a painting texture app? I'm aware you use Bodypaint, but have you tried Zbrush yet?

I only tried poly painting in Zbrush briefly. Seems like some people can really whip out some amazing stuff with it, but it's such an alien process (much like everything in Zbrush!), that I didn't think it really fit how I like to work. I actually haven't seen a whole lot of diffuse only models produced with Zbrush although that's not saying that it's not capable of it. Zbrush is my primary sculpting application, but there's a ton of stuff in there that I still haven't explored enough.

The concept is looking good, by the way.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    haikai wrote: »
    I only tried poly painting in Zbrush briefly. Seems like some people can really whip out some amazing stuff with it, but it's such an alien process (much like everything in Zbrush!), that I didn't think it really fit how I like to work. I actually haven't seen a whole lot of diffuse only models produced with Zbrush although that's not saying that it's not capable of it. Zbrush is my primary sculpting application, but there's a ton of stuff in there that I still haven't explored enough.

The concept is looking good, by the way.

In fact, I'm not poly painting in Zbrush. I import the low poly model, the same I did on Maya and paint the actual texture on Zbrush, through projection master and Photoshop. I believe this should sound even more alien and old fashioned than most people here expect, but it works well for me...

@marq4porsche: Yeah, the idea is to make the hair on planes. Old school style! Thank you for your comment.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Well, this is year I decided to focus more on painting and leave 3d aside a little. So it follows a test I'm doing with Lola. I've posted this on WAYWO thread too, sorry to bother you twice!
    Lola_rework_01.jpg

Lola_rework_02.jpg

Lola_rework_03.jpg
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I would say, dont be afraid to make shadowed areas of the face more flat (like you did on the leg). At the moment the face feels 'overpainted', so to speak.

Good luck!
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks guys. There goes an small update, with some improvements on face, hair, clothes, etc.
    Lola_rework_04.jpg
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    looking great so far man, love the concept, and your rendering is really nice.