Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

BJ's Pre-Domwar Thread

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
So I'm kinda stuck in limbo right now with Domwar. I really don't understand why I should be all limited to one forum, and I wanna post here too. Forum warfare=stupid.

So instead of entering for either of the forums, I'm just gonna post some WIPs of my pre-domwar char in both places. Here's what I've been up to:

DWMini_WIP_013.jpg
DWMini_WIP_014.jpg
DWMini_WIP_015.jpg
DWMini_WIP_016.jpg

Cheers all!

Replies

• Rico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think that's a good idea, John. It's looking a lot more awesomer since last time I saw it!
  • Elyaradine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elyaradine polycounter lvl 11
    Looks really cool! Could perhaps use some darker tones to bump up the contrast a bit. Also, the armour/detail bits are on his lower body so that the face, which might usually be the centre of attention, ends up looking a bit bland. My noob 2c. :P
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    If you have any tris left over I'd throw them into planes that'll affect the silouette right now. Specifically the legs.
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    This is looking great BigJohn,

My thoughts are adding some more saturation and a contrasting colour or two would add that last 10% and some pop.

see attached a quick paint over with a few variations to help demonstrate some ideas.

bj_paintover.jpg
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    I like this model i love the face and the expression- nice sillhouette and use of hair cards. the weakest part of this piece is the weapon- The sillhouette(mostly of the handle) is lacking and could use some semblance of how it was constructed. If there was one thing i personally would do its rework that. Overall I think his armor texture could use some differentation of material types, maybe some changes in saturation here and there as wel. it would be nice to see some more of the hair being used on the front maybe a tuft on the chest and some on the top of his right hand. Could also use some clips and buckles and things to help sell the construction of the armor. Still not a fan of the shape of the feet. His fingers could be more pointy and clawlike.
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    I like it. But I would like to see some more contrast in the deifinition of the muscles.. he feels kind of washed out now, like his flesh is made of wax, if you know what I mean..
    Other than that, great job :)
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated :)

I like the idea of making the stripes green, gonna give that a shot. Lots of stuff to think about here.
  • Viridis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is very cool! I agree that the feet need a little more attention in shaping the geometry and working with the texture on the claw parts. Also the right index finger looks a little shapeless. Like Dan! said, I would play around with making claw-like hands, just to see if it looks cool or adds anything.

He is quite literally a sexy beast!
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits guys. It helped me out a lot.

A bit more progress for tonight:
    DWMini_WIP_017.jpg
    DWMini_WIP_018.jpg

Still got lots to do. Alpha card on his right leg got messed up somehow too :(
  • zenarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    That is some very nice texturing!
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    This is coming along REALLY nicely!

:D

If I can suggest one thing, it's to reduce the contrast on the spirals. It's drawing my eye to it so completely.

The texturework is DAMN nice! Great job!!!

Ohh.. something I sometimes do to force a 'painted' look, is use the pencil tool, rather than the airbrush.

:)
  • edoran89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really dig this, reminds me alot of Kimahri from ff10.