Home General Discussion

Recommended Portfolio Building/Hosting Websites?

madmuffin
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
madmuffin polycounter lvl 7
Hey Polycount,

Right now I only really use blogger to store my artwork and stuff but it doesn't really cut it in terms of a portfolio I can show people who are interested in my work.

What websites do you guys recommend the most for building and hosting a portfolio? I know very little HTML or graphic design CSS stuff so the less code I have to work with the better it is for me, even if that means my portfolio will look a little more generic then it would otherwise.

Any recommendations are appreciated!

Replies

• Arkadius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arkadius polycounter lvl 13
    I think blogger is pretty good you just need to give it a chance. Check out my site. I dont know any Html but with a little effort you can have a decent site.

You could also try carbon made, it is simple, its free as well, but you don't have too much control as far as the layout.
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    you could look into carbonmade portfolios.. there are others out there, but its a pretty easy to use setup.
    http://carbonmade.com/examples
  • madmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    madmuffin polycounter lvl 7
    Arkadius wrote: »
    I think blogger is pretty good you just need to give it a chance. Check out my site. I dont know any Html but with a little effort you can have a decent site.

You could also try carbon made, it is simple, its free as well, but you don't have too much control as far as the layout.

Wow. I must just be doing it wrong, because yours looks nothing like the blogger I know, it's really nice and well done and awesome.

Is it just like one single post with all the images and stuff in it with nice art for the various borders and headers?

And I am checking out that Carbonmade website now.
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    Download Dreamweaver as a trial and you get 30 days to build your website. I did mine pretty easy
  • Eric Chadwick
  • Imajus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haven't tried it myself but I've heard good things about http://www.wix.com/
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    i power mine with wordpress hosted through bluehost.
    i think i paid $70 for the year including the domain registration. Great tech support and with no knowledge of html i had things up and going in a couple days
  • Arkadius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for some Reason I'm not automatic subscribed to Threads.

Its not a Blog post it just A "Page" I think Blogger lets you have like 5. So I have one page for my gallery and one for Resume then a blog, but the pages are separate from the blog.

Heres the Html Code for the Page you can see its pretty simple.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4618134/Gallery_Code.txt

I just Picture linking. I created a thumbnail in photoshop and then just linked it to the full photo off Photobucket.

The green highlight border was some code that I Googled for. I didn't really write anything just cut and paste a bit. I did it in less than a day so its not hard. Best of all its free, bc I'm one cheap bastard :)
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.scott-talbot.com/

I just redid mine for college applications. Nothing special. I just kept it simple. I coded html and css but the gallery script I downloaded online for free. If you go to www.w3schools.com they are a good resource for coding.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    making thumbnails manually is the least thing you want to do
    if you need to dump lots of image in your website,

I just use blog or some other preset ready web.
    you can use your own hosting and install the blog.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Ok here is what I think. Take it or leave it. Your portfolio site is going to be what every company, person, hr, art director, artist, lead artist is going to see first and foremost so

1.) Make it look great, easy to read and navigate.

2.) Don't use some cookie cutter template that can be easily recognized

3.) Don't skimp on it. Portfolio sites take time to do. Take the time and do it nicely. I would hate to be reviewing a potential employee and see his site and it just look atrocious. It is a direct reflection on you. If you show that you are lazy on your site, chances are you will be lazy at work.

4.) Make sure it goes to the art first. I don't care about what you do in your personal life or on the side. Sure put an about page on there if you want to but have it go to the art first and foremost. That is why people are going there in the first place.

That's a few of the major things I would mention right now. There are a lot more as well but seriously. Spend the time to make a nice site. It pays off. You don't have to be a web wizard to make a nice page. I think mines pretty clean,easy to navigate and works well.

It was all made in dreamweaver and photoshop.
    xvampire wrote: »
    making thumbnails manually is the least thing you want to do
    if you need to dump lots of image in your website,

I just use blog or some other preset ready web.
    you can use your own hosting and install the blog.

Yeah cutting up thumbnails isn't fun but it really doesn't take that long in the whole scheme of things.

1. Make a psd with the dimensions of your thumbnails you want.
    2. Open up an image you need a thumbnail for and copy to clipboard
    3. Paste image into the thumbnail.psd file and resize, move, etc to get what you want to show inside of the borders
    4. Save as say gun_thumb.jpg and there you go.

Just keep adding to it. You will have all your thumbs in this one file and you can easily add more thumbs without having to manually do a ton of other work and they all stay the same size.

There I hope that helps a little. It's a long post but seriously your site / portfolio is the biggest thing you have that will lead to you getting a job.

You wouldn't go to a night club unshaven, unshowered, dirty, stinky, messy hair and just looking like a fucking scrub and expect to get a lady would ya? NO? Then why would you think the same approach to a website/portfolio would be ok as well.

Good luck...
  • Arkadius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nicely put Jesse and nice site. I think thumb nails are the way to go. Another option would be just a long list with all your work on one page it gets the point across and its easy. Besides I don't think anyone would be cutting that many thumbnails, after all you just want to show your top work ;)
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't agree with most of Jesse's points, except for #1.

I've been on the hiring & reviewing end many times. A game artist's website is purely a vehicle for the hiring manager to evaluate your artwork, and your ability to deliver the skills we need if we were to hire you.

We don't care if everyone uses the same template, we're not judging your web skills, we're judging your game art skills. The artwork, resume, and contact info are really all that matter.

If the site design is pleasing to look at, sure that's nice. But it only counts for like 1% of your total "score", if you want to look at it that way. Your artwork itself counts for 90%, work experience something like 5%.

Just make sure you follow the basic advice given here: Your Portfolio Repels Jobs