Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UFC Ring/Arena

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
DiegoTeran polycounter lvl 11
Hey guys new here. hope to get some critique on my work. Im on my 3rd quarter at my school for Game Art and Design and on my 1st modeling class so go easy on me. I have the pleasure tho to be able to learn from Oniram who is a member here along with some other guys. I try and learn as much as I can from my peers.

anyways... here is my UFC cage thing im modeling for my 1st modeling class. let me know what you think.

ps: im not sure what kind of pictures im supposed to post exactly. so if im missing anything let me know.

redseats.jpg

farview1.jpg

Replies

• AsaNYC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AsaNYC polycounter lvl 12
    Is this the WEC or UFC cage? It seems a bit smaller than 30' but I'm just eyeballin' it, so take that with a grain of salt.
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UFC but not sure about the measurements to be honest, I did eyeball it :P
  • Macattackk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macattackk polycounter lvl 7
    Looks good. If youre gonna show an ambient occlusion render id up the samples so that its not so grainy.
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macattackk wrote: »
    Looks good. If youre gonna show an ambient occlusion render id up the samples so that its not so grainy.

Its only WIP shots right?

Question: Will this be imported into any game engine or just a beauty render?
  • spahr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spahr polycounter lvl 8
    Wiki: "The UFC cage is an octagonal structure with walls of metal chain-link fence coated with black vinyl and a diameter of 32 ft (9.8 m), allowing 30 ft (9.1 m) of space from point to point. The fence is 5'6" to 5'8" high. The cage sits atop a platform, raising it 4 ft (1.2 m) from the ground. It has foam padding around the top of the fence and between each of the eight sections. It also has two entry-exit gates opposite each other.[81] The mat, painted with sponsorship logos and art, is replaced for each event."

so yeah, first critique would be scale. It honestly makes your life a lot easier if you follow scale strictly and build structures like this exactly. Especially since the octagon is so iconic.

UFC_74_Respect_Bout.jpg

Yeah, in general, the whole scale is off. You are missing the doors. the top horizontal bars sit on the 8 verticle bars unlike what you have, also there arent any padded bars on the bottom.

Id say you need more room for the 1-1.5 meter walkway around the octagon, as well you shouldnt forget the details on it.

Overall your modeling looks good, and you have good attention to detail as you can see with the nice drapery around the octagon and small hinges on the chairs, but your missing just a few fundamental scale/reference parts.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    lookin good. agreed with the scale comments, something to pay attention to in the future. was this the final result? what did gaddy have to say?
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Visceral wrote: »
    Its only WIP shots right?

Question: Will this be imported into any game engine or just a beauty render?

not sure how to do all that stuff about rendering yet to be honest. this is my 3rd quarter at school. but willing to try it out if i learn how to. and idk what a WIP is either :( and will not be imported into a game lol this was just for my first modeling class.
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spahr wrote: »
    Wiki: "The UFC cage is an octagonal structure with walls of metal chain-link fence coated with black vinyl and a diameter of 32 ft (9.8 m), allowing 30 ft (9.1 m) of space from point to point. The fence is 5'6" to 5'8" high. The cage sits atop a platform, raising it 4 ft (1.2 m) from the ground. It has foam padding around the top of the fence and between each of the eight sections. It also has two entry-exit gates opposite each other.[81] The mat, painted with sponsorship logos and art, is replaced for each event."

so yeah, first critique would be scale. It honestly makes your life a lot easier if you follow scale strictly and build structures like this exactly. Especially since the octagon is so iconic.

Yeah, in general, the whole scale is off. You are missing the doors. the top horizontal bars sit on the 8 verticle bars unlike what you have, also there arent any padded bars on the bottom.

Id say you need more room for the 1-1.5 meter walkway around the octagon, as well you shouldnt forget the details on it.

Overall your modeling looks good, and you have good attention to detail as you can see with the nice drapery around the octagon and small hinges on the chairs, but your missing just a few fundamental scale/reference parts.

i understand completely about the size and measurements, i did add the door at the end, about the padding, the images i found did have padding's at the bottom so i did follow that. i do try to pay attention to detail and i will get measurements for future projects.

sean gaddy gave me an A not sure now if it deserved it :P