Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My first Zbrush model - crits please

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
tekmatic polycounter lvl 11
Hey PC people, like the title says, I am welcoming crits on my frist Zbrush model of a hand. It far from completed but would like to know where improvements can be made.

Also what will be the best way to pull out the nail parts so that they look more realistic. The hand was modeled in Maya and I had combined the hand and nails into a single mesh.

Thanks

Replies

• Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    nice detail

But if anything I think hands should always be modeled at rest rather than spread out
    here it seems like you've got a combination of both
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    Can we see the base mesh?
  • tekmatic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the base mesh. Hawt, yeah I was aiming for that relaxed pose, but I was not getting the best deformation as I used Mudbox's posing tools.

I am relatively new to Zbrush so I don't know if there are posing tools there.
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    I think either you should add a lot more shape and detail on the Maya mesh and only rely on sculpting for very fine details

or

go with very basic shapes for the base mesh and rely on sculpting for most of the forms and details. Simple, evenly spaced, quad meshes should be good enough. Let the sculpting program add all the dense divisions for you as you step up towards more detail. Sculpt as much as you can at the lower levels and focus on proportions and bigger shapes before getting into details.

You can use the transpose features in Zbrush to adjust your model (lots of tutorial videos on YouTube). It's kind of awkward at first, but can be very effective.

The hand itself is not bad, but is lacking a deeper sense of anatomy. Be careful not to make flat "pancake" hands. The thumb is a very distinct shape and isn't just a shorter version of the other fingers. Examine how the hand comes off of the wrist, and note the subtle curves and sweeps made by the fingers from all angles. Hands are tough, and it's something I need to work on as well. :\
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    The fingers look long to me, especially the thumb and the pinky, and remember to get an overall good sense of shape of the hand before going into the details : ) good luck
  • tekmatic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the crits people. It is still a WIP and definitely there are changes that will be made. I will post soon the improvements.

haikai: I will check out the transpose option in Zbrush....thanks for that hint.