Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Blighted, diffuse painted character

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
haikai polycounter lvl 8
The Blighted: another diffuse painted model for an as of yet unannounced project by InsaneRoot (concept by Matt Dixon). 7781 triangles with 1k diffuse map. As usual, Maya + BodyPaint + PS. Other models I made for this project are Botler and Brutus.

I'm not sure what this guy is exactly, but I thought of him as something like a mutant orc. :poly124:

Blighted_comp.jpg

Replies

• PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    The larger dents in the metal, particularly on the leg and arm bands, as well as the stomach plate, could have been done in the mesh. It would have helped give those shapes a more believable wear and tear look. You also probably could have saved a few triangles by using planes and an alpha map for some of those small chains. While they look excellent as they are, I think you'll see some clipping if you ever decide to animate this character. The same goes for the shoulder topology, it looks like it could use a few more loops. Then again, I'm not a character artist!

Looks excellent either way, that is a beautifully painted diffuse.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    holy crap.....this is just pure gold haikai..

willl be going into my inspirational folder!

Would i be able to see the texture map a little bit bigger? If thats okay with you : )
  • italoand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice character! Great job as well!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Great job! Love the texture work on this guy. It's neat to see textures so loosely painted but put together so well. Keep knocking these out!
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I'm thinking you could save quite a lot of polies by making the rectangular chains with pure cubes (well - not cubes, but you get what I mean) 12 tris instead of 20 triangles times ~100 links would save you about 800 polies, over 10% of your total budget. It'd affect the silhouette, but only just a teensy.

I agree with Patrick that some of the forms could have been modeled in more. These dents in the shoulder, for instance, would cost you not even 10 triangles in total, and vastly improve the silhouette of the armor plates:
    shouldersilhouettePO.PNG
    It'd also look a lot nicer if the nails and toe/fingertips would have gotten a bit of extra geometry rather than just being a collapsed cylinder.

Texturingwise, I think the boils and veins stand out a bit much, they don't blend in and the colour of them is more suited to a pinkish skin tone rather than greenish grey.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lovely stuff as usual Haikai.

Is this 'Matt Dixon' secretly just your real name or alter ego? :D

Rather than just make a 3D interpretation of the 2D, you always seem to magically make the concept art into a model lol, it looks so impressively alike!
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    yeah wonderful stuff, you nailed the concept.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    wooo thats a big cod piece!
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Your a beast man, I love that illustratory style of painting you got goin on!! The only tiny tiny thing i can think of is maybe you could noodle one or two of his teeth around just a tiny bit to give them a chaotic direction of growth ???
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

PatrickL: You're right, I actually was going to model out some of those dents, particularly in the shoulder armor, but I guess it slipped my mind. I also had similar concerns regarding the chains. My client wanted to avoid the use of alpha if possible, and the poly budget was 8k so I figured I'd see what I could do with modeling out chains as much as possible. I think with careful skinning the chains shouldn't clip too badly when animated, but the most problematic areas might be the chains that attach from the shoulders to the body (although perhaps those could use their own joint chain from the shoulder that could be animated to correct odd positioning). My natural instinct would have been to model the chains as an extrusion from the body itself, but then I'd be limited by the resolution given to the skin areas and stuff like that. Great comments though. I'll keep these things in mind for future models.

Jungsik: Thanks! Here's a cropped view of the texture:

Blighted_crop.jpg

Snader: Kind of hard to see from the image, but the smaller chains ARE actually 20 triangle box shapes. You're probably right about the nails. That was kind of a last minute tweak. As for the contrast of the boils and veins, I know what you're saying and struggled with it. For some reason it looks great to me on the concept, but it was hard to get it to look right on the texture. I figure they're so bright because he's got radioactive blood or something. :) Luckily all that stuff is on a separate layer that can be adjusted if it's a problem.

creationtwentytwo: Hahaha, I only wish I could paint concepts like Mr. Dixon. Seriously though, if I do something from a concept, I hope to translate as much of the original artist's ideas as possible even if it means doing stuff I might not normally do for my personal work/tastes.

Hazardous: Thanks, man. Yeah, the teeth, and face in general, could probably use more asymmetry of shape. I figured I'd leave that up to the client's discretion though. My anal retentiveness makes me reluctant to do things like that, and it's something I really need to address!
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I saw that they use 20, I'm saying you only need 12.
    20vs12.PNG
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice, I just have a few question, : )

Was this for a freelance ?

Also, for your personal works, do you come up with your concepts or do you use other peoples, and if you do where do you usually find them? and how fast do you work normally on your characters?
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    ha..I was thinking ..that looks like something by Mat dDixon..then noticed the concept..good work man...
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think that some of the veins and skin features are a little too blurry, maybe sharpen filter on some of the skin, I also think you could've gotten away with mirroring parts of the skin texture, on the arms or legs maybe, since they are partially covered, and have mesh asymmetry
  • murph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WOW looks really awesome--- i love your brush strokes on it
  • CJE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CJE polycounter lvl 13
    Great work, you nailed the concept!
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Amazing work as usual, haikai. The skin could use some more dirt dots though and maybe some more boils(on the legs and near the elbow).
  • Flaringo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flaringo polycounter lvl 11
    Looks awesome! I love your stuff dude, you're an inspiration
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    Even tho your an Ass, atleast you got some good Art ^____^
    I like your style! Goodwork
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    That looks great. Awesome style with that texture, the model is a near perfect execution of the concept.
  • MephistonX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MephistonX polycounter lvl 9
    awesome work, looks exactly like the concept !
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Snader: Sorry about that! I misread your comment.

Jungsik: Yea, this was freelance. For my personal work I usually do my own work, but lately I've been doing more from pre-existing concepts. There are a lot of concepts out there that are much better than what I come up with on my own.

achillesian: I agree, the skin in general could probably stand a lot more sharp details. The arm is mirrored, but the leg isn't because the mirrored skin blemishes were too obvious there.

Goraaz: Thanks. Yeah, there are definitely parts of the skin that could use more stuff on them.

b1ll: Haha, man, I will forever be known as the polycount ass now. :poly136:
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Thats amazing, could you post a quick little step by step thing for that base skin texture and metal?
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    frell wrote: »
    Thats amazing, could you post a quick little step by step thing for that base skin texture and metal?

Digging through my saved files, here are some progress images. It's not as informative as an actual tutorial or anything, but I hope it's useful:

Blighted_progression.jpg

In cases where I have a nice concept to work from, I always try to see what I can get away with by simply projecting the concept on to the model. Sometimes it's helpful, sometimes it isn't. At the very least it kills the blank space and gives a nice starting point to sample colors and values from. There are downsides to it though such as being distracted by decisions that were made for a 2d image that can be frustrating to harmonize into a 3d model.

Transferring the diffuse onto a new UV layout is also something I rely on because I can't always be certain what I'll need until I start actually painting. Fortunately this kind of thing is pretty forgiving when only dealing with diffuse textures.

As far as the actual painting goes, I tend to lay out basic colors first. I then do kind of an occlusion pass on things to give them some form and then detail out from there. The next time around, I'd like to experiment starting with a darker base. Contrast is always something that I'm fighting with so maybe starting at one extreme will help ground my choices better. There are still some unresolved contrast issues, but I thought it was a reasonable enough interpretation of the concept.

*EDIT: fixed image size. Damn Photobucket.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Very nice.
    The only thing that annoys me is the lack of shadowing overall, under the metal pieces, etc (the left shoulder mainly)...But i assume there's a lot of symmetry in the uv's, so...
  • fabio brasilien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fabio brasilien polycounter lvl 11
    haikai, your work is great! i am your fan! :)

Do you have this WIP sequence in a larger size? :thumbup:
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey haikai, just wondering did you down-res your texture from maybe a 2k?
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Noors: Yeah, I know what you mean... If I gave him more unique texture space for shadows then I was afraid his texel density wouldn't hold up to the other characters. I can only hope there's some awesome self shadowing in the game. :\

fabio: Thanks for pointing that out. Photobucket resized my image, and I didn't realize it. I edited the link and am hosting it myself so I hope it's better now. Can anyone recommend a free image hosting site that is less restrictive?

Jungsik: In this case, I did resize from 2k. I can appreciate the benefits of painting at actual res, but I typically work double res. It does tend to be more time consuming though.
  • REKLAS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors wrote: »
    Very nice.
    The only thing that annoys me is the lack of shadowing overall, under the metal pieces, etc (the left shoulder mainly)...But i assume there's a lot of symmetry in the uv's, so...
    My thoughts exactly. It looks nice though, good job.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    That progress sheet is awesome! It's very informative.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Man you are a great font os inspiration! I love these old school non normal mapped models. And it's great to see such beautiful work, so nicely done. thanks for posting, both the model and the info about the process. I hope to achieve such level of quality in the future.
  • Urbanmelon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Urbanmelon polycounter lvl 7
    Your texture work is really great. I though I was looking at concept art when I first saw the thumbnails... Very original and refreshing!
  • JGcount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thought I was looking at a concept piece aswel.

I actually like how "lose" this is. Interesting style and I'd love to see it in conjunction with its intended invironments. Awesome style.
  • trancerobot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trancerobot polycounter lvl 7
    No crits from me this is excellent!