Home General Discussion

Replay Value?

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
What are some games that you could play over and over and over, and why? What are some things one could do to add replay value?

Replies

• 00Zero
    black ops for sure. i could shoot those hinges over and over and over
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Modern Warfare 2 multiplayer. Love the killstreaks, the weapons, the maps and level up.

Uncharted 2 multiplayer. Surprised at how awesome the multiplayer was and how much fun it is to play. Nice change from just standard FPS games.

Anything by Blizzard because there games are like replayable crack.

TF2 - Simple jump in shooter that is a lot of fun.

Pokemon - got catch'em all

Zelda Ocarina of Time - Best game of all time.

Halo Reach multiplayer - well maybe not anymore after having to beat the single player 32 times. kinda zapped my space marine enthusiasm for a bit
  • SnowInChina
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator

that

i dont know how much time i spend on d2..
  • Yozora
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    What are some things one could do to add replay value?

Multiplayer, DLC/patches, achievements/unlocks and non-linear gameplay/character development.
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    add anything that makes each game different
    - multiplayer is less predictable than AI -> different experience
    - non linear story
    - new content
    - randomization - different levels/maps/etc, e.g. Torchlight
    - character/unity ability trees, ideally allowing you tons of different combinations so that players want to try out new ones
    - achievements, leaderboard
    - perfect execution (who wants to play shoddy games again? ;) )

exception 1: your story or mechanics are so absolutely awesome that people just want to play it again and again and again, like reading good books again. There's only a few games who achieve replayability this way. e.g. Monkey Island, Diablo

exception 2: you make a simple, casual time-killer game which is easy to learn, not too difficult to master but still has a challenge and can be interrupted at any time. e.g. Peggle, Tetris, etc. People will just keep playing it because it's fun and better than most other options they may have to spend a little time (e.g. lunch break, waiting at the doctor, etc).
  • danr
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    plants v zombies

i've racked up 40 hours on that, and to be honest i'm not entirely sure why. But that won't stop me.
  • crazyfingers
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    DOTA, Heroes of Newerth, League of Legends, whatever you want to call it.

Economy and leveling are two key factors to replayability. People love money, they love growth, these are at the core of addiction. In the end games are nothing but 0's and 1's, just numbers, but money and exp are two very key numbers that players can relate to. A game that can nail these very well, make them meaningful, make the sound that chimes when you get money, or level up really kick ass, these are the games that get your brain to release those endorphins that make you have a good time playing, make you pissed when you die.

At the core of the game there must be many options to spend your money on, strategic decisions made at every point in the game that shift depending on the variables at play or the game gets stale, you don't want to play it again because your mind just shuts off and you're just going through the motions.
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Dwarf fortress :P the very definition of replay value.
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I dont usually replay games, or films, there is enough new stuff coming out every day that we dont have to experience the same thing twice and you only get one life so unless Im sharing the experience with friends I dont bother playing things through more than once.
  • Jungsik
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    Autocon wrote: »

lol so true
  • Minos
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    BIT.Trip Beat has a huge replay value. There are only 3 levels but you will never get tired of replaying them. It's a game that's easy to learn, but really hard to master.

TF 2 Just find a good server with good people playing and you will have fun

Fallout series (the old ones specially) You will probably replay the game or load your saves many times just to see the different outcomes of your choices.
  • ParoXum
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    I'm surprised no one said Civilization yet. Bought the IV game promo this summer and played it for weeks. And still come back to it sometimes.

Like someone said, economy and tech-tree, that sort of stuff.
  • dejawolf
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    MINECRAAAAAAFFT.

oh and mount and blade.
  • bounchfx
    TF2, Rock Band 3, Starcraft.

yeah that's about all I need.
  • Avanthera
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Metal gear solid 3, final fantasy 9, Starcraft 2.
    I actually have only completed like 4 games in my entire life.

I get really bored really quickly if there is no competition. Thats why I like Stacraft, so much to master, always getting better and able to track it.

MGS3 and FF9 have so many things to discover, so going back and wading through a few swamps is actually very entertaining.
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    I give my vote to Mount and Blade. Nothing like making your character Jesus and going around fucking people's shit up.
  • boyluya
    Offline / Send Message
    boyluya polycounter lvl 10
  • seforin
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    LEAGUE OF LEGENDS!!!!!!!!! D:
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Monster Hunter
    World of Warcraft