Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand-Painted Study Environment

paulsvoboda
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
Been working on a Hand-Painted scene using only Diffuse maps and a few Spec Maps (which I think adds a lot, just not sure if I should keep them). I realize I still have a lot of work to do and I would like to work on the exterior next.
Anyways, I would love some critique on what I have so far. Everything in the scene is mine except for the Skybox and the picture in the picture frame (which is Bo Mathorne's. I just love his style so much but will hopefully change the picture soon).
Colours currently seem washed out on imgur and desaturated on flickr, so I'm not sure how it will look.

5221620713_11556360ba_b.jpg

Replies

• Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    this is just way too good, awesome :)
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
  • Elith2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elith2 polycounter lvl 9
    Wow i kind of hate you a little :P

Thats really nice man.

I think some of your wood textures could use a little work? The chairs and the round arch dont seem as woody (thats right i went with woody) as the floor/barrels/wall panneling.

Just my thoughts on that.

But ignoring that...its very pretty. Can't wait to see more :)
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Wow... take down the AO and post another picture please?
  • mparis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    agreed your ssao is too strong maybe even get rid of it- IMO your textures look fine- the atmosphere could use some lovin- my humble critiques would be to add some atmospheric perspective to seperate the two rooms. Add some dust particles and light rays from the window as well as push some contrast in the color of your lighting- I have a paintover for visual reference.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    Agree with the SSAO comments. I also think the stone texture in the bottom left needs some love and needs to be scaled a little. It looks a little stretched.

Other than that, it's super amazing. I am in love with the style. If you could do a small scene were you can walk in, look around, and check it out from the outside that'd be like eating the best food in the world. And yea, I'm kinda hungry for steak...

Please update, and give us some insights into your work flow!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    This is really nice. I like what you have in place. The textures are all pretty high frequency. Actually I think it's the 2 wood textures mainly. Maybe make the wood on the wall less noisy or the chair/table wood? Also the god rays that Dan! talked about would be pretty hot along with some lighting tweaks. Don't be afraid to have darker areas in the scene. It all seems a bit busy and having some shadow areas will help tone that down some.

Turn off the SSAO in UDK too.

This is pretty awesome though. Just a few small tweaks to bring it all together.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Where did you find that concept and when do we see the models?

lol

Looks pretty sweet. My only crit would be the scrolls on the ground are a bit noisy, I actually thought it was a stone floor at first look. They just don't read well imo.
  • kingcobra
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah this looks like it's from Lord of the Rongs?

It is pretty stunning :) Well done man!
  • EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 7
    Looks good, you can tone down the ambient occlusion in a post-process chain and have it feint but working.

Did you use photo overlays too? It doesn't look handpainted per say, mainly because there is so much high frequency detail in the textures.

Very high level stuff though, breakdowns would be nice when you're done :).
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    As everyone else said, tone down the AO ;)

But there is one more thing that ruins this for me atleast, it's just way to brown for my taste, i would like some more blue's, try to bright it up some.

Keep on going, your of to a good start :)
  • paulsvoboda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the non-informative first post. Thank you so much for all your comments. I will definitely tone down the AO :).

Elith2 I'll look into that. The two have two different textures. I made the chair texture early in the process and then did another for the barrels so will try to redo the older texture.
    Dan! Great advice. WIll work on the things you said. Thank you!
    jeffro I think I'll redo the wall panel texture as I'm not very happy with it. And great advice on the tweaks..Thanks
    Mr Bear Everything was handpainted - no photo overlays.
    Stromberg90 Thanks. I'll brighten up the blues and give them more prominence in the scene.

The concept was taken partly from Lord of the Rings but mainly from here:
    http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/114/4/4/Hobbiton_Post_Office_by_Joshk92.jpg

I wanted to do a scene focused on hand painting so I took the basic concept and then went in a bit of a different direction.

Here is a shot of some of the models. A lot of the textures are different since I've tweaked them for UDK but I'll be posting some texture sheets once I fill some of them up with more textures.
    5223759805_87ab63170c_b.jpg

Again, thank you all so much for your advice and comments.
  • EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 7
    Well shut me up then, amazing.

Looking forward to a pan through like on your last environment!
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    Loving the hand painted texture work, your props look very good. Hopefully one day Ill be able to get into doing some handpainted work. The environment looks very close to concept art with the style you have there. So mainly your painting in the lighting in the diffuse maps?
  • nullfed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nullfed polycounter lvl 9
    Very inspirational - definitely hitting my 'do some work!' node.
    Looking at the individual props in the later pic, i'm tempted to suggest adding a few polies for the metal bands and stuff like that, but seeing them all together in the first image, it doesn't seem to matter.

The whole thing seems to have the same level of busy-ness, perhaps take a step back and look at the scene as a whole and simplify some of the textures here and there to create areas for the eye to rest, and then maybe introduce some more variation in the colours, as mentioned earlier.

I'd like to see how it looks without the 2 foreground barrels and no paper on the floor.
    Great stuff though. I really want to see your final images for this.
  • Elith2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elith2 polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah you really seem to have gotten into the flow of it all by seeing those closer up shots of the barrels :)

The chair wood and stuff doesn't need major work or anything maybe just a quick revisit. But at the same time it might just be me nit picking.

It looks awesome dude keep it up :)
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mparis wrote: »
    Bilbo's home?
    Exactly what I thought. =]

Looks awesome, op.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    Well you can stop your study now and tell us your secret :O

looks really good! loving the style :)
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Oustanding work again, paul! Keep it up.
  • jayoplus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome work Paul.
  • Urbanmelon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Urbanmelon polycounter lvl 7
    Hi Paul, I agree with what's been said about some textures being too dense, some wooden objects
    in the foreground and background kind of blend together because of it.

The overall feel of the room is very nice, but I think the lighting could benefit from some tweaking.
    There's no obvious focal point in your image, lighting-wise.
    The angle of view puts the table as the center of interest, but everything in the room is lit with the same intensity. With that small window and the bright light outside, you could have some strong, interesting lighting going on.

Some fog to emphasize depth and separating out the background and foreground would be great too.

I did a quick paintover to illustrate my thoughts (I hope you don't mind):

paulsvoboda_Paintover.jpg

Great work though, looking forward to seeing more !
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Paul great work man! I like how the green carpet drives the eye to the table. Urbanmelon, thats a nice paintover, I think that elements are holding better in your example.
  • paulsvoboda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone for your comments.

Urbanmelon - Awesome paintover! I really like what you've done with it and I'll start working on getting it to look the same. Thank you for taking the time to do that, I really appreciate it.

nullfed - I'll give that a shot and see what it looks like.