Home Technical Talk

environnement Question

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
hi guys

i have some little question about environement creating

1 - when we start making a environement ! we blocking the scene and we start making hipoly object and after that we baking and texturing , right ?

but i see a environement for jason :

preview23.jpg

He start with making the low poly not hipoly stuff :( ?

wath is the right way to make a environement ? ^^"

Replies

• cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    If it feels good do it. There is not a definitive pipeline that is the answer. It can change from project to project.

However, Jason's scene there IS a blockout, as it is labeled. He blocked it out with representative low poly meshes, and not simply solid blocks. I do this all of the time myself. For example, this is an old blockout I did several years back. It only took about an hour: http://chrisholden.net/gallery/images/thewall02.jpg
  • ayoub44
    Offline / Send Message
    ok , but after the blocking we make hipoly ? and after that the low poly and we bake normal
    ?
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Well, in this particular case, Jason might not have done baking for the scene. It's possible he just used normals generated from Crazybump or the like.

Like Chris said, do what feels right to you. It's possible to do the low poly then the high poly, or vice versa. Some people even prefer to model a mid-poly version first, which can easily go either low or high after it's done. It just depends on what's best for you personally, there is no right or wrong.
  • ayoub44
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks , you really help me

but when i make a environement , when i export it to udk , have to export object by object
    and replace them again in udk ... :( there are a method to export environement to udk with our replacing it again ? wath i have in max , i have in udk ?
  • Kuki
    Offline / Send Message
    Kuki polycounter lvl 8
    yes - searching for the holy graal
  • Ben Apuna
    You can move all object's pivots to the origin (0,0,0), then probably reset xforms as this is Max we're talking about. Then export every piece individually. In UDK import each object and place them all at (0,0,0), they should all be aligned and placed just like you had them in Max.

The main problem with this method is you completely lose the benefit of instancing your static meshes, but if it's just a portfolio piece and not a actual game level you plan to play in then it should be fine.

The best way to really do this is to make your scene in UDK with blockout meshes rather than in Max. Then when you reimport the real low poly meshes they automatically replace the blockout meshes. As long as the final low poly meshes have the same names and pivot positions as the blockout meshse it works perfectly.
  • Jungsik
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    Hi ayoub44 - it looks like prty much all your questions been answered

If your really interested in the workflow of jasons level more

he made a breakdown of his 'demon throne'

http://vimeo.com/11803973

check it out, there's like 9 videos :D
  • ayoub44
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben Apuna : :thumbup: that work , thanks man

Jungsik : :) thanks for the link , it's really help me
  • Jungsik
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
  • EMC3D
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 7
    My workflow for getting a blockout / low poly blockout from maya to UDK is to:

- Import the whole blockout (remove trims if needed) into UDK.

- Reimport one by one in chunks, modulating what needs to be in chunks, tracing it over the original shell blockout.

- After that is done, delete the shell blockout, and now you have your somewhat UDK broken down version to work with and dress.

Although It's a lengthy process, I wonder if there's anything out there which can tell UDK to recognize non combined meshes other then materials, like ZBrush does with polygroups. That way we could export non combined environments into the UDK, and have them set as workable chunks with correct pivots... oh the day.
  • ayoub44
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks man for sharing your workflow :)

that Great