Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Female

JimeeB
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
JimeeB polycounter lvl 10
Sup homies. I've lurked here for about a year now with seldom posts.

I've currently got a WIP female character for my 3D4 class. Here's the model sheets, I'll post some ss's of her base mesh in a bit I've got the torso done so far.

Update:

2j47l13.png

UPDATE 01:

4i0zfs.png

24ll9hf.jpg

Replies

• RAWTalent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks a little stumpy and wide in the hips IMO see if this helps

anatomy-muscle-system-female.jpg
  • JimeeB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got her base mesh doneish. (These things are never done ): )

If anyone would like to see more renders/wires for a better view for critique just ask I'll gladly whip them up.

v4mb89.png
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    this model is not very asthetic/apealing. Is this the style you are going for?
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Man, you got a ton of edge loops you don't need. Especially going right down her middle. Also she has this weird... Duckness to her body. Like her torso is super long and her butt sticks out like a rocket.
  • JimeeB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @RJ If you're not going to give constructive criticism, please don't post.

@Erich I understand what you mean, I'm going to go back in and shrink her head, and extend her legs. My teacher gave me the same basic crit.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A restart would be good, or deleting like half of your polies. They're unnecessary.
  • JimeeB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Extended her legs shrunk her head, lengthened the arms. And pulled out a bunch of edge loops. Also completely got rid of the mesh smooth so I'm in the process of doing smoothing groups. I'll post an update when I finish with the smoothing groups.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    She has.. pierced hair?

What is the purpose of this model, realtime(game) or prerendered(movie)? For realtime she's completely unoptimized and she can look just as good with about half the polygons. For prerendered your loops make no sense and are hard to animate.

You'l also want to revisit the hair because A it doesn't look like the reference and B it won't look good because it's too scarcely planed.
  • JimeeB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader wrote: »
    She has.. pierced hair?

What is the purpose of this model, realtime(game) or prerendered(movie)? For realtime she's completely unoptimized and she can look just as good with about half the polygons. For prerendered your loops make no sense and are hard to animate.

You'l also want to revisit the hair because A it doesn't look like the reference and B it won't look good because it's too scarcely planed.
    The loops are tied into her hair like beads.

I've gone though and re-opted her. And how should I go about fixing the hair? I have no problem completely re-doing it.
  • d2king10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d2king10 polycounter lvl 12
    Man, you gotta learn to take critique...
  • JimeeB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d2king10 wrote: »
    Man, you gotta learn to take critique...
    And what do you mean by this? I've taken what everyone's said and I've put it into the model. The only person I got defensive against was the one who was blatently rude.
  • JimeeB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    I was onely trying to help you dude. If a model doesnt look apealing/aesthtic/nice to look at do you think people are going to hire you to make models for their games?
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    In fact, she's not appealing or pleasant to look at. This is not a rude crit, it's a constructive one. I think the main problem is on your initial drawing. You should put 3d aside a while and foucs on learn some anatomy and some more about drawing/design characters. Today is very easy to learn such things, web is full of tutorials and courses about the subject.

If I were you, I'd let this model on the freezer and started a sketchbook, to train drawing skills a bit more.
  • JimeeB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you think the model is unappealing then try and help me fix it. Just saying it's not aesthetically appealing doesn't help me at all.

I apologize for thinking your crit was rude, it's hard to see a statement like that and not read it as sarcastic or otherwise.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    JimeeB wrote: »
    If you think the model is unappealing then try and help me fix it. Just saying it's not aesthetically appealing doesn't help me at all.

In fact. Criticize is very easy, right the point direction, otherwise...

I don't know what you're aiming for, if your char is cartoonish, realistic, anime, or whatever, but I'm making two comparisons with female figures that are appealing to me. hope this can be useful.

deletar.jpg

And I reinforce what i said, I know your will for 3d is great, but I think you should leave this aside for some time, and make a sketchbook to strenghten your anatomy and drawing skills. It will be worthy.

Best of luck.
  • JimeeB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot jramauri. As for drawing, I can draw. I rushed the model sheet and my 3d is suffering because of it.

I took your comments and updated the model accordingly. As for completely scrapping it, I feel I can learn more at this juncture from correcting whats wrong than from completely starting over.

Plus this model is for a class. And has to be done with some animations in two weeks.