Home General Discussion

Snow Stories!

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
ebagg polycounter lvl 17
The Seattle area's snowfall is weaksauce compared to many places, but somehow we were hit by an early one this year that has left things more shut down than usual, maybe because it's been going nonstop all day so people left early for the commute home or just said they weren't coming in. I'm reminded of all my coworkers and fellow artists from areas that consider the snow (and weather in general) really weak here, so what do you do when it's snow time? What are the most epic snowy and/or stormy conditions you've experienced?

PS: silly Seattle doomsday pic;
sFQ7z.jpg?ref=nf

Replies

• oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Like the collage!

I always jog or bike into work. The only thing that changed for me is I jogged this evening instead of biking to work. Well. Of course having to be a bit more suttle with footsteps so I didn't slip and longjohns.

Best snows were in Michigan for me. Lots of snowmen could be created and last.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    This will be my first winter without snow. I moved from Utah to Georgia over the summer, and things are very different here.

The craziest snow storm was two years ago on Valentines day. We got hit with a nasty blizzard. Things were so bad people were abandoning their cars on the side of the freeway and hitching rides with people that had trucks or 4x4's. I had a jeep at the time and was able to make it ok. But it took me 4 hours to drive my usual 35 minute commute. My cell phone was dead and my wife was worried sick. Being valentines day she was going to surprise me with take-out from my favorite restaurant. But by the time I got home it was super late and cold. Still good though.

When I went to work the next morning it looked like something out of a survival movie. The freeway was lined with abandoned cars, and the cops where out there guiding tow-trucks to those cars to try and get them off the roads so the plows could come through. It was nuts!
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    I can only think of the time I was a child of about 7, and was at school. The snow looked fine, so I jumped into it, feet first.
    I was instantly buried to my neck, and late for class.
    I think I was stuck for half an hour trying to get free.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    skylebones wrote: »
    This will be my first winter without snow. I moved from Utah to Georgia over the summer, and things are very different here.

Last year was the most snow the south has seen in a very long time. We got hit hard by NC standards, and GA got it pretty bad as well. It is by no means UT, but chances are you will see snow. The funny thing about it snowing in the south is that the states are never prepared. We hardly get any snow, so when it comes, there is just not enough man power, equipment, or supplies to combat it.
    Everyone runs out and buys bread and milk (which I will never understand) at the first sign of a snowflake, schools shut down if there's even a slight dusting on the ground, and the people lose all common knowledge on how to drive a vehicle.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Snow whats that? Seems like Toronto has been lacking in the snow department....or Mother Nature is about to fuck us up pretty soon with a terrible storm. Actually winter in Toronto has being slowly getting to a point where Winter and Fall seem the same. Remember the first time I came to Canada, that was the worst snow season I have seen ever.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I use to have so much fun in the snow when I was a kid. We had a guy on our street, with a plow on his truck. Every year, he would plow our road and create huge snow piles in people's front yards. Me and my buddies would burrow into these snow piles, and make snow forts out of them. Our tunnels would get pretty elaborate too. Once you get the body heat inside, the walls would ice up and solidify everything.

Now I'm old, and get pissed at the snow, because I have to deal with assholes on the road, who think that driving in 2ft slush piles, is no different than driving on dry pavement. And our 3 lane roads, turn into 2 lane roads, because people can't figure out the lane divisions.

Worst experience, going down a long entrance ramp to the freeway, getting near the freeway speeds, then having a bump on the ramp bounce the rear axle of my truck, and cause me to go into spinning 360s all the way down the ramp and onto the freeway. Luckily, the traffic was JUST clear enough for me to slide in without hitting anyone.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    ebagg wrote: »
    so what do you do when it's snow time?

shovel

Mr_Freeze03.jpg
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In Minnesota about a 2 weeks ago, we went from 70 degrees on Thursday to snowfall on Friday (the next day). Last time it snowed an insane about was about 5 or 6 years ago I'd say, I was going down to Iowa for a funeral. Counted 107 cars/trucks/semi's/buses/RVs in the ditch. 125 if you count the motorcycles in the back of trucks.
    The past few years, it really hasn't been about the snow up here, it is all about the ice. Just the past few days there was around 1000+ accidents just in the metro area, the streets were like a pinball course.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    skylebones wrote: »
    This will be my first winter without snow.

lucky bastard. Snow is just nice looking mud that falls out of the sky, sky-mud.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    2004. Reno, NV. Crazy ensued. Now, I lived in Minnesota for almost 4yrs. I've seen some good snow storms. Driven to work 14 miles in 2ft of solid unplowed snow. But this storm was fucking EPIC.
    Normally, the valley floor in Reno gets about 6-7" or so in a good winter storm. It really doesn't get too crazy. But the perfect storm hit and we had white out conditions for nearly a week solid.
    The vallery floor (in some areas) had up to 4ft of snow. Around my apartment was just over 3ft of snow - just past my waist (I'm 6'1"). Reno does have plows and salts the roads, so we were lucky in that regard, but it was a nonstop shovel fest and it was pretty damn crazy all over the place. Certainly the biggest snow storm I've ever seen. I loved it. :D
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the news is doing what it does best, freaking out, which is fine by me

I spent 3 years in Minnesota, crazy amounts of snow which was awesome but horrific at the same time. The first year we didn't have a snow blower so we shoved the driveway, it really sucked when we would get it clear then a plow would go down the street piling up a giant wall of snow at the end of the driveway again...
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    I moved last year in July from Southern CA to Baltimore and lived in WA prior to that. Remember when we had that snowstorm a few years back in WA and people were abandoning their cars and shit? Ebagg's picture is accurate.

Here's the snow in B'more last year, We got something like 75 inches total, which everyone tells me is really odd. Guess we'll see this winter.

snow1.jpg?w=420&h=309

I love the snow when they actually close work and the electricity stays on, it's a good excuse to be lazy.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah Em, it was pretty crazy.

Hated it.
    We were hit bad in the last week in January, the first week of February, and then again at the end of February.
    And with the DC/VA/WV/MD/DE budgets for snow removal are much less than the states abobe them, only served to compound the rediculousness. Nearly all of the bodgets for things like this were gone by the time the 2nd blizzard rolled in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_North_American_blizzard_of_2010
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_North_American_blizzard_of_2010
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_North_American_blizzard_of_2010

Around the DC area we'd only get around 8-10 inches in a storm, and only once during the winter. This was something completely different, and nobody was prepared. Was nice to have over a week of not having to do stuff like going to work. At the same time... you're stuck inside your house and can't leave. >_<

snow_dennis.JPG
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hate snow with a passion. I live in Central Illinois..Used to get a lot more snow when I lived outside of chicago, but still...Can't stand it. I save up all of my paid days off for winter so I can just not come into work when it snows.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    I love snow. Started snowing here in October! Temperature is steadily going down, some coldish windies coming from Siberia this week too, we're down in -30C(-22F), usually lies around -15(5F) to -20C(-4F). Being outside feels nice, coming inside is even better :D

Not many stories, but I did jump into a pile of snow in -25C(-13F), while only in my boxers. Refreshing to say the least, didn't even get sick :D
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I know why I left Norway....evil nasty snow! Otherwise it was a blast though. No snow here in Shanghai, but winter ain't nice here either. It's around 0 degrees and nobody has a clue how to heat (i.e. heating with your crappy wall-mount A/C) or how to insulate a building.

Last year I came back from Beijing (via London). Spring in Beijing, spring in London and in Oslo? Piles of snow and darkness - just as you'd imagine the home of trolls and vikings ;) Had to wait another 1 1/2 months for spring to come.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Winter in Florida: it was cold so I had to wear pants and a sweater; my Mom and I kayaked up the Crystal River to see all the Manatees who migrate there to enjoy the year-round 78 degree water, two dolphins zigzagged under our kayaks for a about a mile until they left to inspect an Airboat that they found more interesting.

I've been in the north for about 4 years now (yeah, I consider Virginia the north) and Winter to me just means death and darkness.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    Winter in Florida: it was cold so I had to wear pants and a sweater; my Mom and I kayaked up the Crystal River to see all the Manatees who migrate there to enjoy the year-round 78 degree water, two dolphins zigzagged under our kayaks for a about a mile until they left to inspect an Airboat that they found more interesting.

I've been in the north for about 4 years now (yeah, I consider Virginia the north) and Winter to me just means death and darkness.

being a fellow born and raised floridian , I remember the people wearing the heavy jackets in the 60 degree weather freezing there butts off.

I have for the last 2 years have moved to one of the more colder climates (washington and then to Portland,oregon)

and winter to me (though pretty to see the seasons change)

Reminds me of nothing but what you said.......Snowy-death
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    The whole of the Dutch Railways is one big joke story. Last year we had 5cm of snow and half the country was ground to a halt because the Dutch Railways had no idea how to handle such terrible weather conditions.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    more effing snow!!!!

I'd much rather deal with hurricanes than this bullship
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    We got 3.5 feet in 14 hours. People on the Japan sea side got almost 8~9 feet in less than 1.6 days in some areas. Nothing sucks more than hacking at 50cm thick slabs of ice on the roof with a wind-chill of minus -9c. Actually, what sucked more was hauling all the hacked 50cm of ice to the already full ditch.

I spent New Years eve and New Years day, shoveling 15~30cm snow every 2~3 hours.

Freakin' snow festival better be insane this year.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm amazed that our ancestors left Africa, saw snow and didn't say "Fuck this shit" and turn back.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My father in law tells me that some bad years, places get 15-20m of snow through a season.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm amazed that our ancestors left Africa, saw snow and didn't say "Fuck this shit" and turn back.
    Seriously. I don't mind it, I just hate shoveling.
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    I'm totally okay with it, since it'll give me an excuse to call in and not go to work today. Yussssss.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well, it was fine once but with a snow storm at least every week we're expected to either come in, work from home or use a vacation day.
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    Yah Justin, Mass has been getting literaly shit on with sky-mud from mother nature. I really can't fathom how the Natives used to deal with this... on a side note aren't you in Acton? Did you hear about that police stand-off with the crazy lady with the pellet gun?
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    Woah. Police standoff? Pellet gun? I need to hear this story Vic! I'm only about 2 miles from Acton.

And yeah, Mass is getting slammed this year with snow.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I found out my car makes a warning beep when it spins out of control

vcortis: lulz, I'm about 3 miles NW of that

while we're talking about other stuff, what do you think of Waltham? My apartment complex just threatened to evict me because my renters insurance expired so I'm looking to move.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    Went outside, saw blizzard, turned around, now I'm here.

Apparently 1-2 feet of snow till tomorrow morning! Ahhh knee deep snow, reminds me of Canada <3.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'm in Kansas, on the edge of the worst part of this storm. We have gotten like 8in of snow so far, hella windy, basically a blizzard. My boyfriend got sent home from work around 3 because the roads were getting too bad.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Last week while in NYC I got to witness a thundersnow, apparently it's a rare occurrence to see, so it that's pretty cool. It was pretty surreal to see lightning going off and illuminating all the white snow around the vacant streets. I would have enjoyed it more if the snow hadn't knocked out the train I was planning on taking to friends place. I ended up having to sleep in the studio I work at on an awful couch with a space heater a foot away so I didn't die over night, haha.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Maaaaaannn, Boston is under like a snow Armageddon. It will not stop snowing up here, so i just ignore it.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Still so much snow and frost here, daylight has started rearing it's overbright ugly head though :( Oh well, so much for the most peaceful time of the year.
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firecracker197 polycounter lvl 11
    It was 72F on Saturday...now its 12F...it snowed and then melted and then froze...now everything is frozen! Everyone here is shut in, we don't mess around with snow here in Texas, it scares us.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right now there's a thundersnowlightingstormblizzard outside and it's really scary! I think there's going to be more than 2 feet of snow tonight.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Chicago is in a world of shit right now, i'll post pics tomorrow.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got 1.5-3 feet of snow depending on where you are in the yard right now, still coming down. Looks like less than it is as its pretty much all just covered.

IMG_5222.jpg
    IMG_5225.jpg
    IMG_5221.jpg
    IMG_5296.jpg
    IMG_5239.jpg
    IMG_5281.jpg
    IMG_5270.jpg
    IMG_5277.jpg
    IMG_5297.jpg
    IMG_5240.jpg
    IMG_5261.jpg

Also, two feet snow dams sticking out from my gutters, wtf
  • yeman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kd4Xg.jpg

Holyshit, the snow devil!!

No snow in Seattle, again, and what's up with the sun? The weather here is really making people's brain numb.
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    So far there's over 24" of snow here with 0 visibility. Think of Silent Hill only with more white. I guess that's what we get for living under Lake Michigan.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeman wrote: »
    kd4Xg.jpg

Holyshit, the snow devil!!

No snow in Seattle, again, and what's up with the sun? The weather here is really making people's brain numb.

Yeah polycount themed lens flare from the light on the porch =P
  • vcortis
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Oh man, that is a mighty epic crash...

Well, as per usual, Toronto missed a lot of the worst of the storm, but have been moaning and bitching and freaking out like it's armageddon. I heard tons of people were getting off work or school for a snow day...... for less than 10cm of snow.

THIS is why the rest of Canada makes fun of us, TO. THIS is why.

(However my back is so sore from the shovelling :( /moanbitch)
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    winter37.sJPG_950_2000_0_75_0_50_50.sJPG?1296719446

winter04.sJPG_950_2000_0_75_0_50_50.sJPG?1296719448

Looks like The Walking Dead but with snow and in Chicago.

Also this picture is fancy.

winter22.sJPG_950_2000_0_75_0_50_50.sJPG?1296719447

Got these pictures here.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah my university got shut down cuz of the snow here in Toronto.
    I was pretty surprised - went by my whole life without a single snow day, and my first one is at a university level.

Apparently, it was once 'so bad' in T.O. that the mayor had to call in the army to shovel away the snow or something.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    indian_boy wrote: »
    Apparently, it was once 'so bad' in T.O. that the mayor had to call in the army to shovel away the snow or something.

Yeah, I just found out about that recently too--and how apparently we will never live that down from the rest of the country :P
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    last month we had 5 cm of snow (2 inches)
    the whole country was paralyzed and it made it first topic in the news for several days
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    indian_boy wrote: »

All 200 of them?
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Not really any snow here in Dallas. But on Monday night it rain a couple of inches, then immediately dropped below freezing. So now there's a thick layer of solid ice over everything.

Without going into too much detail, we have a major milestone that was supposed to be done Tuesday, but between the road conditions and rolling blackouts no one can even get into work.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    no snow here in brazil, unfortunately (love it), we just get some insane rainstorms and every now and then hailstorms, sometimes plum sized. from way up it looks like snow, but that kind that punches holes into people's roofs and breaks windshields :(

here's one that happened a couple of years ago
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga2FK9r_f9c[/ame]