Home Technical Talk

Does a symmetry brush exist for PS? (yeah like the one in the zb!)

well, thats basically it! I am doing some sci fi motifs and something like that will really really help! any thoughts? thanks for your time!

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Manga Studio has one... Hope that helps!
    On the free side, Alchemy beta has it too.

Maybe Illustrator as well ? Not sure tho.
  • airbrush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    airbrush polycounter lvl 13
    sketchbook pro has symmetry
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for taking the time helping! those sound cool, although for speed/pipeline sake, I will like to keep things just in photoshop if possible. I'll take a look though!
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    goddamn!! thats freakin expensive for an 'additional function' ......I would've trade all the ''improvements'' in PS versions older than cs3 for this one only!!!
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • CodeFather
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CodeFather polycounter lvl 15
    It is possible to create an action that copies and flips half of the canvas but it will have many limitations such as drawing on one layer only and manual update (this means you should draw a line or two, then press a button assigned to that action in order to update.)
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello CodeFather, thanks for your answer, yes something like that might work, but its not a "realtime" solution as you say.....and that sort of defeat the purpose while sketching. But I'll try that for the moment, I know there is zsketch in zb, but I prefer photoshop for that task....I ll keep searching!
  • CodeFather
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CodeFather polycounter lvl 15
    Unfortunately interactive effect and simultaneous updates can't be achieved even with photoshop scripting.

Maybe it is possible to achieve such functionality with a program called autohotkey. I'm not sure but if it can recognize the press/release (up/down)events of the wacom pen, someone can write a script that will do everything that the action I've described in my previous post, but automatically on every pen up state. This means that everytime you lift the pen from the tablet, the symmetry side will update, so basically it will update on every stroke.
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey CodeFather, thanks again for taking the time answering, Ok I thought that photoshop scripting might work, I wont look into that then.
    What you mention, does make sense but I dont know if a script like that exist like you say, I ll lurk around maybe I ll find something. Thanks again.
  • THE 5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THE 5 polycounter lvl 14
    Thats not raly symmetry by defaul but I think you can make it do symmetry.
    Im PS CS4+ go on "3D" and there "New Tiling".
    I have read somewhere, that this feature uses UV coordinates and depending on them it creates the tiling, so if you got some mirrored UV shells it could work as symmetry.
    No shure about all this though, I have not yet noticed what this got to do with UVs. Though, I never had a indepth look at it so you could try and see what you can come up with :/
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    sumo paint, a online free Photoshop rip off has it as well:
    http://www.sumopaint.com/home/
    icbbihzmfjabjkad.jpg
    With the legendary symmetry tool and its multiple properties you can create beautiful symmetrical creations.

Experiment with the symmetry points, gravity and modes to get exactly the result you want.
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    CodeFather wrote: »
    It is possible to create an action that copies and flips half of the canvas but it will have many limitations such as drawing on one layer only and manual update (this means you should draw a line or two, then press a button assigned to that action in order to update.)

to complicated and doesn't update, so you'd have to run the script all the time - the same can be done with smart objects

create a file and in there a layer
    convert that layer to smart objects (thats your target)
    doubleclick it
    arrange both images (target and source)
    paint one half in the source smart object file and save it
    duplicate that layer in your target file
    mirror it

from there on you can always paint in the source file and save to see the target updated and as you have the smartobject twice with one mirrored it updates both targets when you save your source
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THE5, thanks for sharing that tip, I do not have the extended version currently, I will try downloading a trial, maybe that can do the trick.

Renderhjs, hahaha...thats crazy man!, like first I thought it was an addition to photoshop, its truly a rip off!! the symmetry works, although its only radial (as far as I ve seen...) and no parameters for real tweaking. Thanks anyways for taking the time posting it, again workflow wise I do not want to buy any additional software (unless its a script/plugin...surely not a 300$ one neither..in that case I will rather save money for sketchbook pro...but thats not the point...), I need to keep things within photoshop (if not I will rather just do zsketch but thats what I am trying to avoid, as zbrush gets complicate when dealing with resolutions for print for example, I am mostly doing 2d/3d for advertising purposes btw). So either a plugin or a script (or none...haha!).

Neox, you are smart man! I ll definitely try that one! Thanks for sharing!
  • papagersi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    papagersi polycounter lvl 16
    There is trick just as symettery in Photoshop .
    I will put some tutorial images for symmetry trick in Photoshop

long time ago.. I discovered this tutorial and I translated for my language..
    However, I lost the original image

(Does anyone know the origin ? ?)

Check this out !

http://yfrog.com/0pphotoshopsymmetryj
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    papagersi, that's pretty much what Neox suggested, I used to do that too but now when I'm looking for shapes I juse use Alchemy.
    Still Adobe should definitely consider adding some real tools for this.
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    yep realtime symmetry would be really helpful, especially with customizable pivots - damn that would speed up my texturing by a lot