Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

AKS-74U

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
Hey all!
I had some time to kill at school yesterday and today, so I thought I'd model and texture an aks-74u quickly.

And to avoid repeating some of the mistakes I made on the ak47 I'll post the highpoly this time to hopefully get some crits before I move on to baking and texturing.

This is what I have so far.
All pieces have been modeled except for the clip release I think.
However, I'm pretty sure I've made some inaccuracies. ^^

6y1d2p.jpg

Cheers! :)

Replies

• Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    Surprisingly accurate. The only things I notice are that the lump on the bottom of the foregrip is a bit too sharp-edged on the top, and the front of the trigger guard looks wrong (corner is too sharp). Also, your pistol grip shape is off. The part where the web of the thumb would wrap around needs to be deeper (your pistol grip is too fat at the top)
    aks74u.jpg

Also, I think you could do with softening the edge of the back of the dust cover a bit.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback Kitteh!
    I'll sort those areas out when I get back home. :)
  • Krazy8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The muzzle brake looks a bit odd as if its kind of small near the sight and the front is flared out to much. It could just be the angle but I would take a look at it.
  • Ewaf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Someone followed racer445's tutorial very well! Looks good, I made mine following racer445's tutorial and it turned out exactly like yours.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I actually haven't followed racers modeling tutorial. I just watched the texture part before I started texturing the AK47, but I'm glad you like it, and thank you for the compliment! :)

Gonna check out your AK! ^^

I'll definately take a look at the flare of the front. It does look a tad big now that you mention it.

Thanks both of you! :)
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ewaf wrote: »
    Someone followed racer445's tutorial very well! Looks good, I made mine following racer445's tutorial and it turned out exactly like yours.

So everytime we make a AK74U we have to give credit to Racer dont we? ;)
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update on the ak.
    Fixed the front area of the dust cover on the left side (FPV). I misread the references at first, but it's fixed now.
    Also made the front muzzle less wide and some other various tweaks.

Is there anything you think I should fix before baking it?

rhvehd.jpg

Cheers!
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    You still need a magazine release. Also, that part you adjusted on the frontmost left bottom corner of the dust cover looks like it has some kind of smoothing error. The accuracy issues I pointed out in my first post seem to still be there too.
    The ribs on the front of your magazine don't look right either, check this pic:

Tula-Arsenal-AKS74U-A3525.jpg
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for posting kitteh! I adjusted the grpis as well btw. Hope they look better. Ill see to the smoothing error tomorrow. Didnt notice it myself untill now. ^^
    Thanks for posting the pics. Will adjust tomorrow! :-)