Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Shrew81

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys, I recently redid my website,
If you guys dont know me, Ive been around PC for about 2 years now, almost everything I know about game art is thanks to Polycount U
Seriously, first major job I land, Im getting a polycount U tattoo :D

But heres the site,
http://www.cg3delijah.com/
Let me know what you think, especially the one-image per item layout. I cant decide if its effective enough.

Replies

• JonMurphy
    Offline / Send Message
    JonMurphy polycounter lvl 18
    One note - I can't see the images as Dropbox is blacklisted at my studio. Something to keep in mind.
  • Avanthera
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, I lost this thread for a bit, Dom war and everything :)

Thanks JonMurphy, I've changed over the images to photobucket, should be accesible by everybody now.
  • BlvdNights
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    I see a bunch of tiny props, but nothing that stands out. You don't even have a full scene in your portfolio. You really need something like that. Don't focus on 1 prop so much as showing off you can be more than a 1 tricky tiny pony.
  • PatrickL
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    Remove "Yes, I am currently looking for freelance offers." That line isn't doing you any favors, and it just distracts from your art, which is what people visit your portfolio for in the first place! Your portfolio also suffers from the same problem as mine: A lack of direction. Are you an environment artist? Show off whole environments, not just a few isolated props. Are you a character artist? Show off your characters, not weapons and windows.

Presumably, these are your best/favorite pieces, and you're using them to show your general level of skill as a 3d artist. There is nothing really wrong with that, in my opinion, but without any direction, it isn't maximizing your portfolio's potential and it isn't doing your own abilities justice.

Truthfully, I am only passing on the wisdom I was given by my fellow Polycount members, because like I said, my portfolio suffers from the same exact problem.
  • ariofighter
    Offline / Send Message
    ariofighter polycounter lvl 13
    I really like the style of many of your pieces, and I completely agree with the points posted above.

To add one thing though, I was always told that there should never be a WIP section on a portfolio, and likewise I think there should never be an "old work" section. You don't want to run the risk of a potential employer seeing anything "old" that you know your better than, because they will just take an average of everything and pass you by. (Potentially)

I am currently doing the same thing and removing a lot of my old pieces from college, because although I may be "attached" to them. They are not doing a good job of showing off how much I have learned since I have graduated.

So keep up the good work and keep at it. I look forward to seeing some new stuff
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    isn't this an art test or something I've seen it a few times.

Spiked_Barrier_1.jpg
  • Avanthera
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback!

BlvdNights: I agree with you definately, I'll be working on a larger environment over the next few weeks. And I'll also try to get a few sets of concurrent assets together as well.

PatrickL: Im currently working on a smaller project that isnt paid, but Im getting a lot of work done, but its very much all over the place. creatures, props, environmental,
    Im working on an environment atm, I'll def try to get my stuff organized.

ArioFighter: Thanks man, Ive removed the older works section.

JeremyLindstrom: haha, yeah, it was an art test for a different unpaid job XD
    Since it wasnt used, I was told I could show and do whatever with it, so I brought it here and got better:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75520
    I feel like I improved so much with this prop, maybe Im getting a bit too attached to this as well? :P

About the all over the place assets, I feel like I have a better chance of nabbing an Junior Environmental artist position than creature artist, and especially character artist. I love to sculpt up creatures and fleshy bits though. Is it acceptable to have a few creatures/characters just there at the bottom of the page just to show I have those skills, and then have the majority of the portfolio filled with environmental art? Or is that hurting my chances too much?