Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Patrick Sutton

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
PatJS polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys, I've finally built up my portfolio, and I'm about ready to start sending out applications to get a job. First, however, I want to make sure my portfolio (both site and content) doesn't suck.

I have a few questions as well:

1) I am using very large images (maximum horizontal resolution of 1400 pixels). However, it is not 2001 any more, and I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that game studios are using computers with screen resolutions above 1280x1024, and 1400 is less than many current laptops, as far as I'm aware. Are my images too big? Will the size deter employers?

2) Should I drop the explanatory text at the top of the Bog Standard Prop Bonanza page?

3) Is my email address legible as patjsutton@gmail.com? Does the 'J' look at all like an 'L'?

Please, critique everything!
http://www.patricksutton3d.com/

PS the download resume links don't work because I haven't made the files yet; they are just a placeholder.

Replies

• cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I like it. big images, good presentation, and crisp work.

1. Love the image size.
    2. Never saw it until you said it, so doesn't matter.
    3. Hm, didn't notice it as an L
  • MiAlx
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    Hey Patrick,

I took a look at your portfolio, awesome art, love it.

I believe that the large images is a good idea.

About the explanatory text, like Cholden already said, I don't think that it really matters that much.

Lastly, it definitely looks like a "J" and not like an "L".

The only thing I noticed, and I might be wrong, is that the wireframe image of the jet (SAAB) might be a tiny bit too small. The most important parts are clear but some parts of the wireframe are a little unclear (hard to see). I thought i'd point that out to you, but maybe it's just me being really tired atm. ;)

Just my 2 cents, I hope it helped.
  • PatJS
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the input cholden.

DKK, that's a good idea; the only thing I'm worried about is that I haven't photosourced any of my textures, with the exception of wood, and I don't want to make it seem like I do make use of lots of photosource on the other projects. I don't know how big of a deal that is, I guess I'm just really happy that I can make decent textures without photos because about 5 months ago I was hopeless at it and it's really been a goal of mine to improve. I don't think I would have even thought of it but someone in one of my threads thought that the shipping crate was photosourced until they saw the normal map, and I guess I'm just paranoid :poly142:
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Most of your work looks really nice.
    Personal favourite is the desk from the props section, textures work very well and the shape compliments perfectly. Least favourite is the gun. The handles wood texture is too saturated and shape looks like it would fit a saw, not a rifle. Also the sight on top looks untextured, is it?

ps: "bog standard prop bonanza" might be better as "props" seeing as the title suggests unimportance and this section shows your best texture work.

pps: after viewing some of your uv maps, it seems there is still room for mirroring identical pieces and splitting more big sections in half to retain quality when downsized.
  • PatJS
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks MiAlx, I'll go redo the wireframe for the Viggen.

GCMP: The sight is not untextured; it has a subtle mottle effect that I've only seen on the PSO-1. It could stand to have a bit of wear though, you're right. Also, I think you're right about the name, I should probably change it. Could you give me some specific examples of where I could mirror identical pieces/split stuff in half?
  • whats_true
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    lol, only two 2D art? Would mash that into one section and add a few more pictures. No point in makeing them separate if you only have one picture to show in each link :\

Your stuff is rad!
  • JDinges
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    Well done man, solid work and great presentation.

My only minor crit on your work - on a first glance your sniper rifle texture seems a bit off with the wooden stock being so worn out and the metal being so clean and pristine. An odd contrast in quality of the pieces on the gun.
  • PatJS
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    whats_true: yeah I should really add more 2d art. I haven't done a lot lately because I've been preoccupied with building this thing, and I'm not very happy with art much older than this.

JDinges: between you and GCMP, I think it's official that I need to really work on the Vintorez some more.

Thanks for the input everyone!
  • vcortis
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    Nice work and great layout of your website. Well done and I can tell you know what you're doing.

The only major downside I see to your portfolio is that you have inadvertently pigeonholed yourself by choosing all modern/militaristic subject matter.

Wether you know it or not a lot of companies won't take chances of people who don't display some sort of example of having a piece fit their particular style or genre.

It isn't that your work isn't good, because it is... but I feel like you'd have a stronger portfolio if you also added in some fantasy/sci-fi stuff, buildings, foliage/nature scenes, stylized imagery, etc.

Limiting yourself to props, vehicles and guns could end up doing your skills a bit of a deservice as it does nothing to show me you know how to competently setup a scene to include good lighting and layout (scale and position) to make a complete scene. It also doesn't show me you can adapt to follow a unified artistic style guideline.

Again, your work itself is good, your website is excellent, and at no point should you feel bad about what you've already done. But going forward I would try to vary it up a bit to benefit yourself in the long run (unless you really really just want to do militaristic props, guns, vehicles... in which case go for it).
  • PatJS
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    mannnn I worried about that every time I made a military thing, but I always got so jazzed about whatever I was looking at that I couldn't not make it. I've got a few things I'd like to make that are fantasy related, so I'll just put off the application sending until I've got those done because I definitely don't want to be pigeon-holed into a "generic shooter prop maker" slot. To be honest I love doing stuff I don't usually do (I'd never made a vehicle until a few months ago, for example), so I'll definitely take your advice!
  • fabio brasilien
    Offline / Send Message
    fabio brasilien polycounter lvl 11
    Great stuff! I also agree that you should make something with different stile, like fantasy stuff.
    I believe what you have there is enough to show your great skills. :thumbup:
    Also I believe you could make one tab for all your 2d artwork.
    When I clicked it looked strange, one new tab for one image... :\
  • d1ver
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Great folio, both content and presentation. No critique from me. Good luck with the job search!
  • Sebeuroc
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebeuroc polycounter lvl 13
    Hey man, your work is looking really sharp. I really like you welder concept, I'd love to see him in 3D.

Here are a couple small things about your presentation that bother the nit-picky graphic designer in me... You home page is beautiful and nicely spaced all the way down the page, but once you click on one of the links the images within aren't consistently sized.

sutton_portfolio_paintover.jpg

Best of luck job-hunting!
  • Firebert
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    Really nice work man! Very, very nice! Best of luck!
  • Mistry10
    Offline / Send Message
    Mistry10 polycounter lvl 8
    Great work dude !
    i really like the layout on your site
  • ivanushka
    Super precise and crisp, excellent! I would follow Sebeuroc's advice about rescaling the images so they all match up in width.
  • PatJS
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    Excellent advice Sebeuroc, I'll constrain the elements of each page to a single width, thank you!
  • scotthomer
    Sorry for dragging up a thread from a few months ago, (i was looking for your website after losing it off my bookmarks).

This work is amazing, I love your crisp art style and the website layout is inspired!
    I was wondering if you have any advice for getting such realistic looking textures with such small texture resolutions?
    PRC117_Textures.jpg

Your use of specular maps is really interesting, i love how much detail you put into them that isnt in the diffuse.
  • conte
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
  • onionhead_o
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    really liking ur portfolio textures. just wondering how much of it is photos and how many is hand painted?
  • PatJS
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    scotthomer: I don't really have any advice for believable low res textures; it just turns out that you really don't need as many pixels as you think you do to define something well. I painted it at that size originally, so that might help, since downsizing stuff can make it lose definition with smaller details like scratches.

I've found that there will generally be all sorts of detail on the spec which isn't present on the diffuse. Notably, with guns, they often have a finish with numerous scratches that are barely visible until the light hits them just right, so you should have scratches which are only visible on the spec. Specularity is the king as far as believable metal is concerned, and gloss is super important for differentiating materials.

conte: :)

onionhead_o: Everything is hand painted, with the exception of wood; all wood materials have a photo of unblemished clean unpainted wood as a base. Scratches, dirt, and lacquer are added afterward. Also, the sidewalk on the cast-iron building is photo sourced.

This isn't to say that photosourcing is bad. My Titan moon base has a basic metal material which is made from a mix of 4 or 5 photos and a couple masked color layers.