Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: MoP

MoP
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
MoP polycounter lvl 18
So since I've recently started trying to draw a bit more, I figured I should start a sketchbook.

It's mostly not going to be game-art related at all, but you never know what might end up in here.

At the moment it's mostly pencil/charcoal, I'm thinking of branching out into gouache later though. Always liked how that looked.

Here are some photos/scans from last month:

charcoal_bad2.jpg

1010_01.jpg

1010_02.jpg

1010_03.jpg

1010_04.jpg

1010_05.jpg

1010_06.jpg

tiffany01_wip04.jpg

Some better than others. Usually around 30-60 minutes of drawing. All from photo ref - not confident enough yet to really try something realistic from imagination.
Cartoony stuff and monsters I can do alright, but not people :(

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    And some from this month:

1110_01.jpg

1110_02.jpg

tiffany02_wip03.jpg

Hopefully will have more soon.
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome work Mop, how much actual art do you do at work on a day to day basis anyways? Your official title is technical artist right?

Oh wow LOVE the one right above this post.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    jocose: Depends on the stage of the project, but I tend not to do too much "art" at work - I do the occasional highpoly/lowpoly/texture (usually item/weapon asset stuff), but it's mostly in-game implementation, Maya scripting, performance optimisation and general workflow stuff.

This stuff is mainly just me wanting to get a bit more practise with traditional media.

And yeah, I like that one too - she's a friend of mine, and quite lovely (same girl in the previous post) :)
  • Neolight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neolight polycounter lvl 10
    Long time no see. Awesome studies dude.
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    oh oh oh! Glad to see you join the party. (always been a fan or your work)

I am pretty sure you can draw from imagination right now, but keep doing those studies as they are pure eye candY!
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    MoP wrote: »

charcoal_bad2.jpg

Izzard?!?!?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Ahahaha, no! It was purely accidental, the photo of the guy I was drawing actually does look a bit like him but I didn't get the likeness quite right, instead I somehow subconsciously Izzard-ized him... that was the first thing I thought after I finished it though, several other people pointed it out too. Whoops!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    We recently started doing themed speedpaints at work during lunch break. These are three of the first, starting from last Friday. Usually about 40 minutes each.

"Girl vs. Giant Robot":
    girl_with_robot.jpg

"The Folly":
    the_folly.jpg

"The Fifth Rider of the Apocalypse":
    fifth_horseman.jpg

Hope to keep these up nearly every day to improve digital painting.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    One from today's lunch break, only 30-ish minutes this time because I was slow getting food.

Not too happy with it, I had an idea in my head that looked awesome before I even opened PS, and this isn't really even close to nailing it. :(

"Imprisoned Giant" was the theme:
    imprisoned_giant.jpg
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Love the colours and the setting! But yeah seems kinda static and straight forward to me. I think it could have been improved with a more interesting angle that exaggerated the giants size, the giants pose should either be total ragdoll, all weight on his wrists, legs limp pulling the chains towards him - or fighting to be free. A little more emotion in his captors poses... and finally some darker lighting that only just reveals what a huge beast he is!

Haha, sorry to just pile on crits like an ass like that, I've been checking your sketchbook regularly and its really inspiring! You get a list of crits because I'm not good enough to do a paintover :B
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    wow Mop I didnt knew you could paint, one of the pics with pink leaves look really good. I like!
  • Motorov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like your black/white works :)

And this one, nice and hard mimicry of face :)
    But if you create a facial expression, the lower jaw, together with the facial muscles are also moved slightly to the left ;)

tiffany02_wip03.jpg