Trying to improve my sculpting skillz.

Latest Update:

87923361.jpg

Replies

• duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duncan polycounter lvl 11
    I am going to use Sculptris to break my fear of sculpting. I am using Sculptris because you need to sculpt everything from a sphere, and if anything is going to get me over that hump this is the program to do it. Here are some of my studies.

37014676.jpg
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally got this guy re-topo'd and into Z-Brush. I decided he is going to be my little Wacom Worrior.

wip01.jpg
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you did that character from a single sphere? thats cool man. Also the colours you choose for the girl portrait are nice imo!
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    I feel like you are hugely underestimating your skill level. I know that many members on here would kill to be able to produce the kind of work you have in here. In fact, about the only noticeable issue I can see is with the female head, and it just looks like you'd need to raise the face a bit.

Now back to the art.

You have a very firm grasp on anatomy, and from what I can tell, a nice grasp of sculpting. Give yourself some more credit, and keep up the awesome work. I am pretty excited to see where the Wacom Warrior goes.

Also, why the choice of Sculptris over Zbrush? With Zbrush you are also able to start your sculpt from a sphere so essentially you would be doing the same process with either program if you were so inclined
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    This thread is P-I-M-P.

looking forward to more. :)
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    duncan wrote: »
    I need to improve my sculpting skillz. Coz currently I have none.

wat.
  • fr0gg1e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fr0gg1e polycounter lvl 17
    Hey guyz!
    Just to go over my fear of painting, cause I got no skillz.
    1st doodle
    Gericault+-+Medusa.JPG
    Don't be too harsh!

Seriously, really nice! If you were next to me I'd punch you in the face, not by jealousy but just so you stop telling yourself you "suck". Keep on going, and in a month you might kick everyone's ass ;P
  • lampekap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey duncan, love ur stuff. could you upload your material?, it looks really nice as a skin material.

@mike yevin: with dynamic tesselation its much easier to sculpt a whole human out of a sphere than using a sphere and sub dividing. thats why zspheres r so handy in z burhs :)
    i love sculptris too because you can add really really small details on the places needed, without increasing the poly count on the other part of the mesh that doesn't need it.
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    those sculpts are pretty awesome!! Keep it up!
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    Hahahaha nice wacom warrior !! Loving it !!
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    lampekap wrote: »
    hey duncan, love ur stuff. could you upload your material?, it looks really nice as a skin material.

@mike yevin: with dynamic tesselation its much easier to sculpt a whole human out of a sphere than using a sphere and sub dividing. thats why zspheres r so handy in z burhs :)
    i love sculptris too because you can add really really small details on the places needed, without increasing the poly count on the other part of the mesh that doesn't need it.

Well of course, but you could always just retopologize your sculpt after you block out the main forms in Zbrush :) Plus the creator of Sculptris now works with Pixologic, so we can probably expect to see some sort of dynamic tessellation in a future release
  • Bon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bon
    @ frogg1e: HAHAHA! mate that cracked me up. But seriously it looks dated, make something modern and get with the times.

@ Duncan: On subject, mate you don't have a worry in the world about your skills. I would like to see something out of your comfort zone though, maybe something anatomically correct, 4 legged animal etc. How about recreating 'The Raft of Medusa' ^^^^ ;D
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone. People have often told me the only thing missing from my images( sketches or whatever) is my confidence in them. I usually dismiss those comments because I have next to no faith in my ability's. Slowly this is starting to change, but at least it is changing :).

@ Mike Yevin: Yeah it is the dynamic tessellation that drew me to Sculptris. To try and gather as much practice and knowledge about pure sculpting, without stressing about topology or alphas or anything else, I have to say Sculptris is pure awesome. I hope Z-Brush latches onto the dynamic tessellation because it is a completely free flowing organic way to create anything.

@ fr0gg1e: hahahahaha :D. Thanks.

@ lampekap: Thanks. Did you want the Sculptris material? If so here you go.
    skin02h.png

@ Bon: Yeah, once the Wacom Warrior is finished I am going to try something a little different. Probably a multi legged creature of some kind..... Actually I think I might get on board for the dom war this year. I usually fail to even finish but who knows maybe this year will be different. hahaha "The Raft of Medusa" would look pretty cool as a sculpt. :)

Thanks again everyone. I will try to stop telling myself I am shit and just get on with it. Updates soon.
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Purplepaint polycounter lvl 8
    I hate you, and by that i mean i love your work :)
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    These sculpts are amazing. Also your Wacom Warrior reminds me of:
    20060722061229%21JonasJr.jpeg
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    Hahaha...Duncan, if you can't tell yourself that you're abilities are definitely above average, then maybe you CAN tell yourself that you suck LESS than most people actually suck. Get what I'm saying man? =D

Your character models suck way less than mine, BTW.

But that's cause I don't do characters... ;D
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone.

@ MattQ86: That guy is ace. I hate it when I unwittingly create some thing that is too close to an already existing ahhhh.... thing. :) I was actually thinking of giving him a mechanical arm. Oh well thanks for the ref :D

@ tristamus: HAHAHAHHAA what an interesting way of looking at things.

Anyway Not much of an update but I have started on the body.

87923361.jpg
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Yes, I agree. Duncan sucks much less than I suck. Or put more simply, he doesn't suck as much as I don't also not suck, by comparison to the measurable levels from the 1989 census only of course.

Good stuff man :)