Home Unreal Engine

Multiple people working on one UDK map file?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
Hey I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a way to have multiple people accessing the same UDK map file but saving it across all versions. Have a group level next semester but was researching stuff to have it ready before the holidays.

Replies

• sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    you can't just split your map into multiple streaming levels?
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt wrote: »
    you can't just split your map into multiple streaming levels?

Sadly no. Its a pretty small map but would help a lot for example if like one of us is doing some environment work while someone is working on lighting etc. There must be a way as it seems something studios would need.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its a pretty small map but would help a lot for example if like one of us is doing some environment work while someone is working on lighting etc. There must be a way as it seems something studios would need.

If its a small map for school, just have one person editing the map while other people build stuff.

Studios would typically have separate files and stream them in at runtime, so people can work on sections of a map as sprunghunt said.

Teams typically use some form of subversion control (perforce, SVN, etc..) to update/recieve latest work between other team members, but I don't see how it would even be possible to be working on the same file at the same time with somebody.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm ah well. Thanks for the info :)
  • kdm3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can have multiple sub levels for one level. The way we did this was have one level as a base level with nothing in it. Then have you geo level as a sub level, then have your lighting as a sub level, etc. You can access this through the content browser in the "levels" tab.
  • Neavah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When I was in school we used tortoise SVN in big group projects, to upload and give access to all the assets and levels being worked on. They're particular steps to take in caution that no one over writes files/ deletes files from updating.

I don't recall a lot about SVN - so it might not be what your looking for.

Also We weren't using udk. and it seems there might be better ways to do what your asking (as other people have mentioned).

just throwing it out there though. :)
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Go the sub-level route. Each asset type can be on the sub level, you can choose to load and save what sublevels you need. Just make sure to make the level active before saving.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the information. Will check out the sub-level route as it seems to be the way to go.
  • piippo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would prefer anything over SVN, like Mercurial(my favourite) or GIT.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    why dont you try prefabs. you have you main geo prefab, then a lighting prefab. kinda like layers.