Home Technical Talk

Zbrush layer brush giving undesired result

mixeh
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
mixeh polycounter lvl 8
Hi all,

I'm following this brick tutorial by PhilipK, but when I use the layer brush with spray as he suggests, I am supposed to be getting this: http://www.philipk.net/tutorials/materials/tilesold/tilesold_01i.jpg, instead i get this:

2hevvp1.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks!

Replies

• cw
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    you're on a different version of the program with some slightly different behaviour by the looks of things. I don't know an instant fix or alternative, but have a look in the brush and stroke palettes and fiddle with some settings, you might be able to get closer. Also check for any other versions of the layer brush in the lightbox, there might be variants which do what you're after.

good luck!
  • Bal
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Try using a positive focal shift instead (+50 or something), gives a closer result to what PhilipK is doing.
  • PhilipK
    Offline / Send Message
    PhilipK polycounter lvl 10
    Heya, first I think you may get a slightly different result if you use the spray alpha with some various brightness (there should be one in by default). That would make your spraying less uniform in depth. Also there's a setting if you right click the actual brush. I can't check atm and I just don't remember what it's called but it's a way to lower the intensity influence on the brush, by default I think it's 4-5 on a lot of brushes, you could try lowering that.

But I don't really think you're that far off, it's a lot about brushing the whole surface really roughly first, then perhaps use an inverted brush and go over the whole thing again. Sometimes it looks really horrible until you've gone over it enough.

Hope any of that made any sense :)
  • Tom Ellis
    Haven't got time for an example pic unfortunately but try this (assuming you're using a graphics tablet, it may or may not work with a mouse)

Set your desired view of your mesh

Projection Master >

Uncheck color and check material, check deformation and leave normalize on >

Turn off fade (it tends to leave creased edges along the boundaries of the mesh in projection mode) >

In the dialog popup click 'Activate Polypainting'

Change stroke to spray

Brush size to something pretty big

Intensity to something very low, I find 4 works well.

Now, rather than 'brushing' across the mesh, try 'tapping' and holding for short periods of time, then tap all over the mesh, overlapping the spray with different pressures and times, and you should end up with a good result.

When done, hit Projection Master and 'Pickup Now' and you're done.

Hope that helps.

EDIT : Just tried with a mouse... doesn't work well at all.

Also, I forgot to mention you should switch to ZSub once you've dropped into Projection Master
  • PhilipK
    Offline / Send Message
    PhilipK polycounter lvl 10
    Haven't got time for an example pic unfortunately but try this (assuming you're using a graphics tablet, it may or may not work with a mouse)

Set your desired view of your mesh

Projection Master >

Uncheck color and check material, check deformation and leave normalize on >

Turn off fade (it tends to leave creased edges along the boundaries of the mesh in projection mode) >

In the dialog popup click 'Activate Polypainting'

Change stroke to spray

Brush size to something pretty big

Intensity to something very low, I find 4 works well.

Now, rather than 'brushing' across the mesh, try 'tapping' and holding for short periods of time, then tap all over the mesh, overlapping the spray with different pressures and times, and you should end up with a good result.

When done, hit Projection Master and 'Pickup Now' and you're done.

Hope that helps.

EDIT : Just tried with a mouse... doesn't work well at all.

Also, I forgot to mention you should switch to ZSub once you've dropped into Projection Master

Well said, that's pretty much exactly like I work using Projection Master.
  • mixeh
    Offline / Send Message
    mixeh polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks a tonne for replying philip, and really really appreciated the step by step creationtwentytwo, using that process I'm getting similar results to philip!
  • Sean VanGorder
    Just wanted to throw in my two cents.

I was following Phillip's method as well, and was also having a little difficulty getting a similar result for the rough surface in Zbrush. After messing around with a few things, I ended up grabbing an image of crumpled paper off of google and turned it into an alpha. By using that with the spray settings and a low intensity, I got some pretty nice results really quickly. If you click the link in my signature, you can see the rough surface I got used on the bricks I'm working on.