Home Technical Talk

XSI Shortcuts without options

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
Hi !

I'm learning XSI these days and i got a problem concerning the shortcuts.

If I click the Modifiers into : Model/Modify/Polymesh/Bevel (bevel is an example but it's the same for extrude or others) i get a nice little window with options for this modifier. Like that :

beveloptions.jpg

But whenever i create a shortcut for this operation (i see the shortcut next to the modifier into : Model/Modify/Polymesh/Bevel) and use it; the window doesn't appear :( Is there a little trick to have this "options window" when using the shortcut ?

I got another problem concerning the viewport itself, i got two grey border on the left and right :

viewport.jpg

How can i get rid of them ?

Thanks in advance XSI loverzzzz ;)

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    The gray area is just the area outside the camera that wont be visible during render. In this case you're seeing it as your viewport is widescreen, but the default camera is 4/3 720x486. You can either adjust the camera properties so that is has the right ratio to fill your wider viewport, toggle the opacity of the clipped area (this is a new feature in v2011.5), or switch the viewport from camera to User.

As for the shortcuts, I just tried assigning bevel to ctrl+shift+b and the menu pops up for me, so I'm not sure what the issue is. Normally the property editor wont pop up if you hold ctrl when creating the operation, but that might not apply when using ctrl in a shortcut as it appears for me. Try going to preferences>interaction/property editors/views tab, and make sure 'popup property editors on node creation' is checked on
  • GoSsS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks a lot!

It seems that if you assign a shortcut only with ctrl it didn't popup the property editor, because i'm now using ctrl+shift+key and it works just fine.
    Thansk for these answers.
  • GoSsS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
    Hi again !

I'm coming back with some questions again and xsi will probably become my new weapon of choice for Hi Res modeling :D

1 - It seems that the camera properties aren't saved. When i close/reopen xsi I still have this grey area on the left and right of the viewport.

2 - Is there a way of changing the color of the border edges or of the selected edges because it's the same color (teal) and it's kind of annoying when it comes to select an edge of a border (never sure it is selected) :

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55rk0Qg7Wss[/ame]

As you can see it's impossible to be sure that the edge on the border is selected before becoming red.

3 - Is there a way of adding volume to a curve like in 3ds max ?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lri_X4Kv_Ko[/ame]

The only way i found in xsi is the same as in maya; create the curve, create a circle and extrude it along the curve (the problem is that it creates a surface and not a mesh).

4 - Where are stored all my shortcuts and preferences ? (Oh wait ... are these the files stored in [USERNAME]/Autodesk/Softimage_2011/Application ?)

5 - Is there a way of putting the minimum value in any sliders with only one clic (in 3dsmax if I right clic on the 2 arrows on the right of each value, it puts the minimum value possible of the selected parameter (3 sides for a cylinder etc))

max_rmb.jpg

6 - Is there a way of doing the same as duplicate along curve as you can see here ?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYmFeYO2aK0[/ame]

this video is coming from slipgatecentral.

I found the way to do exactly the same as the "path deform" in 3ds max (which is cool but i prefer the "duplicate along curve" :D, because I only need to create a simple element and it duplicates it (the number depends on the spacing i choose or the total number i want etc) along the curve; as for the path deform (or deform by curve in xsi) i need to duplicate the elements, attach them together and deform this element along the curve)

Thanks in advance!
  • Sora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,

1: You need to save a default scene that will be open everytime you start XSI. adjust it to your hearts content and save it anywhere you want and in XSI's preferances, go to data management>path to default scene and enter the path of your default scene there.

2:In preferances>scene colors>selected componenet color.

3:No there is no single click soloution as max in XSI. Extrusion along curve your best friend for this kind of jobs:)

4:Exactly there

5:AFAIK no

6:Create your polygon object and select all of its polygons and in right click menu select duplicate polygons along curve