Home General Discussion

best action game ever made (DISCUSS ON)

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
aesir polycounter lvl 18
Don't worry, you don't have to come up with the answer, because I already know what it is. The best action game ever made is:

VANQUISH

Holy crap it was great. I just beat it the other day, and I can't think of any other game that has given me such a fun polished single player action experience.

Even the story, filled with cliche and cheeze alike, is delivered with such vigor that you can't help but love it.

Don't believe me? Download the demo and try it out. It's a small taste.

This review says it best: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-10-18-vanquish-review

(The game's sales haven't been great regardless of the stellar reviews. After playing the single player once and beating all the challenges, you'll probably be 10-12 hours into it. But I dare you not to beat the single player again on hard, or god hard. A lot of people won't shell out the money for something without multiplayer or a 50 hour long game, but I say fuck em. This shit was perfect.)

Replies

• crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    TRIBES!

But i haven't heard of this and i will look into it ;)
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    looks great by the screen shots, very nice, didn't see a trailer.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    I dunno, Dead Space was pretty high up for me, as well as Resident Evil 5.
    Though that could change soon.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    I tried the demo, it was pretty cool but the plot is your typical Japanese bullshit.
    But who plays this games for the story anyway, it sounds like pure fun, and that's what matters!
  • dkreset
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dkreset polycounter lvl 8
    yup, it's freakin' awesome, currently playing it myself. screw the story and enjoy the actions ;) not like gears of war had much story behind it :P
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Liking it a lot. I loved the demo and bought it Day 1. Haven't had much time to play though. Only on Act 3 - 7.

Kinda wish there were more weapons or weapon slots but it's awesome either way. I love the fast pace and how you don't have to use cover to stay alive. Killing Huge robots is awesome!

I'm a sucker for cheesy Japanese plots so it's all good. Pretty funny.:)
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    God of War 2 is the best IMO even with the worst story of the series. And I find games with good story's far better then just fun game play with terrible story as I get more involved that way.

Saw a few vids of this, didnt look too cool at all to me. I should defiantly try the demo out though since its getting good reviews.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    that shit is seriously over the top... Stallone style!

have to try the demo before i really say yay or nay, but i doubt it will be good for my epilepsy.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not sure if it's the best ever yet, as I'm only 2 hours in, but if it stays the course then I'm with the OP on this. Deadspace? That's not action, that's a horror-survival. God of War 2? That's not action, that's a documentary!
    But Vanquish? Not since Contra have I seen such action-ness.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Guys! Uncharted 2. Bayonetta?

Is Metal Gear Solid 3 an action game?
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    glynnsmith wrote: »
    Guys! Uncharted 2.

IDK how in the world I didnt think of Uncharted 2. That would take the top for me actually. But idk if it is the same as these other action games. I would think more action adventure possibly then just an action game. Maybe its just me but I think of action games as fast paced generally button masher/combo games.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    wow

Eurogamer website is looking mightily shit these days
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13

This! :)
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18

Vanquish is better than uncharted 2. I practically played them back to back. It's not better in every way, but in gameplay it wins easily.

I have not played bayonetta because that chick freaks me out.

MGS 3 is a listening to cinematics game.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir wrote: »
    MGS 3 is a listening to cinematics game.

I think you're thinking of MGS4.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I think you're thinking of MGS4.

shit you're right. It's true, I've only played the first two and then lost interest :/
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude! You need to get a PS2, and play that game. It's by FAR the best game of the series :D
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    Looks pretty cool! I hope it comes out on pc as well. but it probably won't right? :P.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Autocon wrote: »
    IDK how in the world I didnt think of Uncharted 2. That would take the top for me actually. But idk if it is the same as these other action games. I would think more action adventure possibly then just an action game. Maybe its just me but I think of action games as fast paced generally button masher/combo games.

Yep; I'm with you mate. Uncharted is more of an action-adventure game like Tomb Raider, Prince of Persia or Resident Evil 4. I don't like how game reviewers tend to put all games into the same category. They make it hard for to find the games I like, goddamit!
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am a massive fan of the riddick games, and the riddick movies - i swear to god they are just so amazing.
  • Rayph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rayph polycounter lvl 13
    Vanquish is amazing in its pacing and sheer balls to the mother f*ckin walls badassness. Game is simple and focused on fun and I couldn't enjoy it any more than I do for that fact.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwKSgB8ajTk&hd=1[/ame]

Man Vanquish looks awesome. Just wish they had a PC version
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Metal Gear Solid's cutscenes are acceptable in my opinion, because they are awesome.
    And you can skip them.
    And the gameplay is amazing.
    You know what cutscenes I hate?
    Boring, needlessly long, un-skippable cutscenes right after checkpoints, before a difficult boss fight.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    What is this, this isn't Metal Slug?! Sinners all of ya!

(damnit, wish I had an xbox)
  • RobotBash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vanquish has great action and pace. True the un-skippable cutscenes are a total pain in the ass (why not let us skip?). Besides that, this is a great game. Just beat the spider robot thing, cool bad guy!
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    super sorry for ugly necro post :)

just got vanquish on super cheap, having played the demo I thought it would be a bog standard shooter and left me with a meh....its ok. The actual game though I thought is unbelievable. The crazy visuals are gorgeous and the action is just mental. reminded me of zone of the enders 2 aswell which is no way a bad thing. sega I give you the thumbs up. can see why you guys love it so :)

my favourite mission so far,

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jMYJtztxuk[/ame]
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Would Shadow of the Collosus be considered an action game? If so...that. Or Resident Evil 4! The father to modern action games!
  • StefanH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StefanH polycounter lvl 12
    QUAKE 3

there is not doubt about it. From a gamedesign perspective its very close to perfection i think. And the art was so much ahead of its time with shaders and shizzlenutz.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    I miss me some Quake 3 CTF :(
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolfenstein: Enemy Fucking Territory: No Quarter mod.

5 classes, 9 levels per class, a bunch of weapons, interesting abilities, Quake 3 circle jumping, and Wolf's non-linear objective style gameplay.

Oh, it was the most fun shooter ever. Throw in maps like AxisLab, Siwa, V2 rocket, and railgun... Woooh. If ever there was a digital drug, that was it.

I absolutely, completely loved this game. Punkbuster was a bitch sometimes, but this game was so great.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I'm not sure some of you know what an action game is lol. I've heard amazing things about vanquish, will pick it up when I have a chance. Bayonetta was absolutely fantastic in terms of just being pure fun, and the God of War series in general has always been incredibly polished. I'd also throw in Ninja Gaiden for xbox. so good.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Vanquish is just depressing. It's Platinum/Clover finally giving up and saying "fuck it. Let's just make a dumb, desaturated, space marine game. At least then maybe people will buy it". I have little doubt that the gameplay is great - it's Platinum after all, but after Bayonetta, Okami, God Hand and the rest with all their personality and colour, it just makes me a little sad.

I'm going to go with Arkham Asylum as best action game ever.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yay! Finally got it a week or so ago, it's GREAT! Loving it. I love the contrast between the clich
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaze369 polycounter lvl 8
    I'm gonna go old school and say Zone of Enders 1 + 2.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Pure action? Painkiller, soon to be dethroned by Bulletstorm.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Bulletstorm, you sure ? I tried the demo the other day because it looked so promising but it actually felt heavy to control and not much fun play - especially obvious after some crazy Vanquish sessions...
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried demos of both games and Bulletstorm wins by a wide margin with me, simply because I don't have to stop and run into cover, which I feel breaks the momentum in high speed action game. Also Bulletstorm is just slicker in a heavier way for me.

If Vanquish is a well placed sniper shot, Bulletstorm is the same, but with a bullet made out of barbed wire, that explodes.

I agree on clunky controlls though, I had that issue with both games, and it's because I usually play on PC :S
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Hehe I'd say give Vanquish a few more tries then :) the control scheme is very different, but once you get the hang of it, it's extreeeeemely fast and accurate, you'll be surprised!

hint : powerslide all the way into a chest-height wall, hop over it, and press down the aim trigger - it'll switch the action to slowmo while you are in mid-air, giving you a full 6 degrees freedom for aiming. Absolutely badass!!
  • planaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tribes renegades mod ftw
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    kaze369 wrote: »
    I'm gonna go old school and say Zone of Enders 1 + 2.

I have to agree, the Zone of the Enders games were awesome, first can I actually ever played where I could beat enemies with any other mechs or random environment stuff.
  • Klumpmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Red Dead Revolver is definitely on top of my list.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    Hehe I'd say give Vanquish a few more tries then :) the control scheme is very different, but once you get the hang of it, it's extreeeeemely fast and accurate, you'll be surprised!

hint : powerslide all the way into a chest-height wall, hop over it, and press down the aim trigger - it'll switch the action to slowmo while you are in mid-air, giving you a full 6 degrees freedom for aiming. Absolutely badass!!
    Okay now that sounds more interesting :D Since I'm getting Bulletstorm on PC I might as well get Vanquish for the 360, when time and money allows it :)
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Serious Sam: First Encounter on one of the harder modes with friends playing coop!
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have to agree, the Zone of the Enders games were awesome, first can I actually ever played where I could beat enemies with any other mechs or random environment stuff.

Thank you, I knew someone had to be on my side. The flying mech mechanics in that game are just superb.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    planaria wrote: »
    tribes renegades mod ftw

Amen. Smart deployable forcefields were the shit!

What I really miss is the simple "brackets + enter key" inventory system. 3D Realms and Raven Software used to be genius pioneers in this in the 90s - it made multiplayer much more interesting in an otherwise 'dumb shooter'.
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    Ninja Gaiden for the Xbox.(for pure action)
    Uncharted2 if we talk action adventure
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Cant narrow it down, for me its zoe 2 or ico or shadow of the colossus or uncharted 2 or god of war 3 haha

I remember getting zoe 2 when it came out and then it became almost impossible to find anywhere. the first zoe I thought was ok, bit boring though and felt like an after thought from mgs. the 2nd game blew me away though. Loved the character design and the story was great and it played sooooo well.

The vanquish demo was pretty poor and just looked like another bog standard shooter to me, but its only the very first level and its when you still dont have any idea on wht you are doing. You play the actual game and you will be mesmerised. The shooting is really solid, great cover system, the weapon leveling up is really clever and visually its jaw dropping. Very z.o.e.

Im looking forward to bulletstorm, I thought the demo was fun but did feel a bit limited with what you could actually do, I suppose its only one level though. Will wait for the reviews before I commit to a purchase :) Killzone3 got reviewed in gamesmaster, 77% so not sure I will get that til its cheap.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    for me its MDK or original Tombraider. Just can't beat them for good old "gun and run" action. I'm a retro kinda guy though. God of war was good though. I generally 5 years behind when it come to games.
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool wrote: »
    Cant narrow it down, for me its zoe 2 or ico or shadow of the colossus or uncharted 2 or god of war 3 haha

I remember getting zoe 2 when it came out and then it became almost impossible to find anywhere. the first zoe I thought was ok, bit boring though and felt like an after thought from mgs. the 2nd game blew me away though. Loved the character design and the story was great and it played sooooo well.

The vanquish demo was pretty poor and just looked like another bog standard shooter to me, but its only the very first level and its when you still dont have any idea on wht you are doing. You play the actual game and you will be mesmerised. The shooting is really solid, great cover system, the weapon leveling up is really clever and visually its jaw dropping. Very z.o.e.

Im looking forward to bulletstorm, I thought the demo was fun but did feel a bit limited with what you could actually do, I suppose its only one level though. Will wait for the reviews before I commit to a purchase :) Killzone3 got reviewed in gamesmaster, 77% so not sure I will get that til its cheap.

Nice, that's 3 people for Zone of Enders.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Operation: Wolf / Cadillacs & Dinosaurs

But seriously, I played Vanquish too, and thought its action was just incredible. Probably the best I ever seen.