Home General Discussion

iPhone 3D Viewer?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
kodde polycounter lvl 18
Hey guys,

I was looking through some old projects and remember this NDS 3D Viewer software available on here on Polycount a while back. This got me thinking. Isn't there any good 3D viewers for the iPhone? At least capable of displaying an .obj with a color texture? With decent camera controls?

Does anyone know of any good 3D viewers for the iPhone?

Thanks!

Replies

• Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    A thread popped up in tech talk a few weeks back about some guy putting one together with Unity. You're very welcome to build one yourself if you're inclined :D
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    Snowfly that would be awesome if I knew how.

Two major issues which come to mind to solve would be making it available to a wide audience. I for one haven't jailbreaked (jailbroke?) my iPhone, so it would have to go on AppStore.

Secondly, how would you fetch your data? You'd have to transfer by FTP or something similar I suppose.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I started a thread about this not too long ago. Didn't have much luck unfortunately.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77764

There appears to be one or two guys out there claiming to have an app built ready in Unity, but they want to sell the code for publishing I think.

I did find one that's on the app store, and could get my OBJ in but there's pretty much no documentation or support and couldn't get any textures to display at all.

It worked by using a html link, so I used an OBJ in my DropBox, which as I say, loaded up ok, but wouldn't appear textured.

The example mesh that comes with it does show textures, but I couldn't find where the example mesh was located. I've got a Jailbroken iPhone and explored literally every folder on my iPhone looking for the OBJ but I couldn't find it, so either it's stored remotely, or I just missed it.

It's definitely do-able, just needs someone who knows what they're doing to put something together. With good documentation too, OBJ viewers are often far too complex to be worth messing with. I remember the DS viewer, while it's great that someone took the time to make it, I messed around so much trying to get certain meshes/ textures to display that I often just gave up.

Ideally whoever does build something will have a game artist background.

I'd love to give it a shot and would dedicate time to making something, but my iPhone dev knowledge (and coding knowledge in general) doesn't go much beyond greeting the earth :D
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    creationtwentytwo> I just replied to your other thread. Got the Wavefront app working well. :)