Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Natural Selection II Alien Structures

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
d1ver polycounter lvl 14
Hey, guys! Just wanted to pimp a little work I've done for Natural Selection II from Unknown Worlds.

My work was to refine the lowpoly, unwrap, bake and texture.
It was a fun and unusual task to convey different kinds of organic surfaces.

To get the base texture for this fella I actually had to scan a piece of ham out of my refrigerator. Times like that I love my job even more=)
ns2eggsack.jpg

That's Whip and he is an alien turret. Here's the description from the development blog.
ns2whip.jpg

And this thing is an incubator for alien structures, where they "grow".
ns2drifteregg.jpg

This organic, wet, semi-transparent stuff is interesting to do, because its believability totally depends on use of all the different textures that make a material. Here are Whips' textures as an example:
ns2whiptexsheet.jpg

I actually did one more alien structure that I am not allowed to show yet, so I'll post it sometime later I hope.

Anyway, thanks for watching guys, hope you like it. And yeah special thanks to Den Fox and Unknown Worlds for the opportunity.

Cheers!

Replies

• Barnstable
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work. Those textures look amazing. I'm especially liking that veiny texture on the first one.

Is that rainbow color in the spec how you got the textures to look iridescent?
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Ha, i love the organic look NS2 is able to pull off, keep it up :)
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Really loving the slick transparent plate you got going on there - absolutely class texture work!

Gotta say the way the whip has a slightly thinner connection to its base has always bothered me, but that's a design decision I guess.

as a fan I am really interested in what the first and last... things... are. :P
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Barnstable, thanks a lot,man. Yeah, the veiny one is my favorite too=)

And yep the colored spec pretty much gets the job done. You put a little color into the diffuse, make sure there's enough variation and then you really crank it up in the specular. You could also place some very subtle different colored blobs into the illumination map to add another "layer" of color variety.

crazyfingers, thanks, I'm really glad you love it!

Huge thanks,fearian.

The top part of the Whip is supposed to rotate around the bottom, so maybe thinner "neck" makes more sense that way.

Well, I hope I don't get my balls busted for this, But I'm pretty sure I saw those things in the alpha.
    As far as I get it the first one is supposed to be an alien spawn point. Aliens hatch from it =)
    The last one is a similar egg, only for alien structures.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Ah that makes sense, by which I mean the smaller base for rotating, and the fact I didn't recognize them ;)

Its a shame the Alpha is in a bit of a state right now, I've put off playing it until its running smoother :P
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah, on my PC it's just a mishmash of triangles yet. But hey, spark is still working and you can check out all the game assets in the model viewer.) Even though they don't have opacity mask running right now it's still kinda interesting.
    And nevertheless I think the guys are doing a great job, with their very open development strategy. Gives a whole new value to pre-ordering.=)
  • Peter H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    scanning the ham worked, really does look like a horrible fleshy lump!
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    ahahaha, thanks, mate =) I'm glad it turned out right
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    ew. nice work!
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    hoooo! Never seen opacity texture before as now! This is amazing!
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Slimy and disgusting. I like it :poly124:

Are you going to apply some distortion to the outer shells of your mesh? As it is now, those alien-things inside look a bit too clear for my taste.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    P442, I'm glad, that it's so bad you like it=)

Thank you,vofff! Thas was a really amazing thing to hear. I worked hard!

Thanks,teaandcigarettes. I'm glad you dig.
    I'm not really sure If I got your question right.) Do you mean the the mesh should be distorted a bit? Or the there should an actual distortion map like in UDK that "twists" the pixels seen through a transparent object? Or do you just think the whole thing was too transparent?)

But whatever the question is, the answer would still be "no".=) because the client has required his textures exactly the way they are and if it's going to be changed it's doesn't depend on me anymore.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks a lot, man!
    It might be a little unexpected, but those are rendered with default scanline renderer=)
    Firstly because the games' Normal Map tangent base is the same as scanlines'. And secondly the engine is still in the works and I haven't seen transparency support in it just yet.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    those are some amazing textures. I've never really attempted making fleshy textures like that. I should give it a shot one day.
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Was just looking through some of their developer vids yesteday thinking "them aliens look nice" :) Remember seeing the mothercreature Marcus Dublin did, too. Great work on a great-looking game. I agree that without some distortion or simulated mucus inside the shells it comes across as too clear, though, and generally not veyr convincing, though it's hard to appreciate without seeing it in-game. The transparency of the first creature especially could use some work around the rims of the shell layers etc, where it would be thicker and thus less transparent. Ideally though the insides should blur... Nice to see well-used specular btw, like you say it makes all the difference here.