Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Bog-Standard Prop Bonanza!

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
PatJS polycounter lvl 9
After my series of aircraft I realized that I had never really made any of the cliche props, and I figured it would be a good exercise to try to take basic objects (crates, desks, etc) and try to make them look really cool and interesting, as well as have the opportunity to do materials that aren't metal. To that end, the only photosourced textures here are planks of wood from a pristine unblemished photo on CGTextures, and a subtle overlay on the very top of the tanker desk. It's still a work-in-progress project, but the stuff I'm posting right now is done (though please, critique away!). It's been pretty nice to be able to crack out 2 props a day instead of the multi-week epics i've been doing before.
SeaCartage_Sheet.jpg
FlatFile_Sheet.jpg
StudioBox_Sheet.jpg
TankerDesk_Sheet.jpg

Replies

• GoSsS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
    Wow!! I really like these wooden boxes. The worn paint effect on the wood is really believable and theses crates really seem to have a history.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    whoa, 512's! high roller!

they look great. good job dude.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    i really like that first box. well done.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Looks realy good and sharp, but the wood on the first one is just spot on, love it :)
    For the rust on the small flat file model, it's a bit to bright and redish imo.

Keep on making this props, cause you defently have talent for it ;)
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the comments guys! Stromberg90, I'll mess around with the flat file, thanks for the crit. Here's another one:
    IntermodalContainer_Sheet.jpg
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work on that shipping containter, it's insanely realistic.

How much (if any) of the diffuse is photosourced? It looks like you just ripped the orthographic views of a real world container and slapped them on the low poly, but looking at the normal map, I'm guessing you created the diffuse yourself, which is very impressive.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    The subtle changes in your spec are awesome. Great job on defining the materials in your texture ;)
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    There's no photosource on this stuff with the exception of the wood on the boxes (which is clean in the source, all of the wear and grime and paint is hand painted), and I've twice now used this dude for subtle, uniform specular variation: http://www.cgtextures.com/texview.php?id=5224&PHPSESSID=0f462bcd0a54ad6d86f9c8b3fb703b90 (once on the table-top of the desk, and once on the shipping container).

killingpeople: thanks man! This whole thing was kind of test of my abilities to apply everything I'd learned in my long projects to quick props, and I think it's turning out pretty well :)
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Every thing is just, WOW. Love every little bit.

Just one thought, you have some pretty heavy gradients in our normal map bakes. Something that could give artefacts outside the viewport. Maybe you already know this and choose it, if that's the case - I'll shut up :D
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    I've been trying some stuff with unwrapping to see what I can get away with w/r/t normal baking and geometry complexity. I'm going to redo the unwrap on the flat file because those drawers are prominent, and there is some "bowing" in the apparent surface when a strong spec highlight goes across it. In other areas, especially with lower specularity, I've been able to get away with much more (for example, the inside of the studio box). I've also been doing it areas which are very low visibility, like the inside of the drawer on the desk, or which you really just can't see the distortion, like drawer handles. I've found that it works better when the curvature is going in one direction, like a cylinder, than when the mesh has two directions of normal curvature (like a box, which has a plus-shaped unwrap). However, it seems like plus-shaped unwraps with very small centers seem to work well enough; I did that on my Ka-27 and Ja-37 in the rotors and wheels and they worked just fine.

Also, I'm rendering everything in marmoset, which I'm fairly certain handles normal maps in a normal fashion.
    --

So I just finished this aircon, and I'm not quite happy with it. I especially don't like the vanes. any suggestions?

Aircon_Sheet.jpg
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    grayscale specular :(
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    How would you recommend that I use color for this? I've really only used color specs for colored metals like gold or brass.
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    Great work, love your texturing on these models, your textures are very crisp for the rez they are. The container is my favorite piece but I do agree about the rust on that one piece being to red.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    I've realized that marmoset handles shading and normals very close to how maya handles it to. So, as you say, it doesn't really matter. I from what i understand it's better performance wise to use soft edges instead of hard..

Really inspirational stuff! Though my texturing skills are pretty basic i would throw a hint of blue in there. For the metal that is..