Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dragon

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Drakon polycounter lvl 6
Hi Guys, loving the forum so just had to join :)

Currently working on a dragon for a sculpting contest, any crits/tips would be highly appreciated :)

2i78nd0.jpg
2rcacuq.jpg
2i290mf.jpg

Replies

• silver_shadow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good job, really like this. Will you be posing this dragon, and be situated in a scene, or will this be a purely sculpting contest.
  • autokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    autokey polycounter lvl 11
    Welcome, drakon! This guy looks great! The thing that I first noticed is that he looks off balance. His front legs need to be forward more in order to hold up that big head of his :) Also, could you post a closeup top view of where the wing joins the body? It looks like you have some detail there of where it attaches, but I'd love to have a better look :D
  • Drakon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drakon polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks guys! Presentation is also a part of the contest so my plan is to create a cave/ledge as the scene and pose him roaring out towards the horizon (or sumtn like that).
    I have just started working in HD and added a rough skin look, i tried scales but didnt like the look of it so im going for more of a rough dinosaur skin. Also testing out polypainting as i havent tried it before.
    Is it possible to render out AO to the texture? That would help alot with the texture..
    I might shrink his head slightly as you say hes got a big one :) Ill post some more pictures when i get home from work in a couple of hours :)
  • autokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    autokey polycounter lvl 11
    Drakon wrote: »
    Thanks guys! Presentation is also a part of the contest so my plan is to create a cave/ledge as the scene and pose him roaring out towards the horizon (or sumtn like that).
    I have just started working in HD and added a rough skin look, i tried scales but didnt like the look of it so im going for more of a rough dinosaur skin. Also testing out polypainting as i havent tried it before.
    Is it possible to render out AO to the texture? That would help alot with the texture..
    I might shrink his head slightly as you say hes got a big one :) Ill post some more pictures when i get home from work in a couple of hours :)

Honestly, I don't think his head looks too big, I think it looks great! You just need to adjust his stance :) You may be able to fix it when you rig him, though.
  • Drakon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drakon polycounter lvl 6
    Heres some newer screens.

Shrunk the head a tiny tiny bit, made the skin more skinlike, added new claws, spikes and teeth since the old ones didnt have a lowpoly mesh and also worked on the inside of the mouth.
    Havent posed him yet, think ill add the scene first.
    2cgoodu.jpg
    iej8rn.jpg
    mbju6h.jpg
  • trancerobot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trancerobot polycounter lvl 7
    I think your micro details may be a little too subtle. He is a dragon, so I'd expect him to either have scales or rough elephant-like skin.
  • benjyshwa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    benjyshwa polycounter lvl 13
    Yeah I agree, Id expect some scales or much deeper cracks/folds in the skin to give him the armoured hide look.
  • Drakon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drakon polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks guys :) Will work on the folds. *googling elephant pics*
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    It may be a little late to bring anything like this up, but the anatomy you've got going for his arms/wing - that area there, really seems out of place. In a difficult to describe sort of way. ...it actually might not be so much their structure, I think - but that plating you've got going down his neck (that then follows the underside of his whole body). It's so wide up front, it almost looks like it's laying partially "over" his shoulders, which then makes his arms look like they're coming out of an odd place, like they're popping right out of some ribs or something like that.

Maybe that's just me, though. That plating going down his throat/underside though seems pretty solid, pretty rigid, and I imagine with it going over his "shoulders" it makes it feel like it'd really inhibit the movement of its front legs.
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    I think the body should be a bit more elongated. Right now I'm wondering how this thing would be able to run on all fours (if it ever needed to, that is).
  • Drakon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drakon polycounter lvl 6
    @ Two Listen: Thanks, havent thought about that, i was going for a compact and "indestructible" look so i immediately went for the big and broad plating up front, not thinking about movement.
    Think ill try narrowing the plate and just adding some separate "plating"/"ruggednes" on the shoulders.
    @ Shad0wForce: Thanks, ive actually thought about that earlier and tested stretching him a bit, but havent yet decided
    28irs75.gif

Also been working on the cave, crits or ideas about what kind of stuff a dragon would have on its cliff would be appreciated:
    1gspzr.jpg
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Corpses, bones, eaten prey. Maybe it likes to collect stuff as well (brightly colored cloth such as knight's banners and stuff?). Possibly something to lie comfortably on?

Both sculpts look pretty good, but it seems you skipped from large shapes to fine detail very quickly. I'm missing some larger details and I don't think you should be messing with skin pores, and tooth scrapings just yet. How about some more defined muscles? Some battle damage - broken horns/teeth, scars, torn wing/mohawk?

It's also still 100% symmetrical which isn't very nice.

Quite like the dragon's general direction though - stocky and buff, with an original face. Oh - you'll want to thicken up the arms a bunch, they're the thinnest part of him.
  • Drakon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drakon polycounter lvl 6
    Thank you snader, yeah since im pretty new to zbrush ive been skipping parts and trying out stuff ive never done before.
    I had more defined muscles in the beginning of the sculpt when trying to get a believable anatomy, but toned them down a bit when i thougt about that the skin would be thick and not to tight, might go back and define them abit more later.
    Symmetry will also be adjusted later, as well as some wear and tear.
    Not to sure about beefing up the arms though, that might be a bit to much. But i got aprox 6 more weeks to work on this so alot might change :)
  • Drakon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drakon polycounter lvl 6
    Gotten a bit further on the cave part and here's a testrender:

qs5gg0.jpg

and a 180 view:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FUoB1WC0Yc[/ame]
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like someone is a fan of DeathWing.
    Looking good.
  • Drakon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drakon polycounter lvl 6
    Hehe, thanks! :)
    I keep getting that about Deathwing, must be the jaw? Most of the inspiration actually came from D&D dragons :) Busy days lately so havent gotten much done on the dragon itself.. wish i could be a student again :P
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    Its coming along well! are you using alpha brushes for his skin? or just sculpting it individually cause i still feel like hes still too polished for a dragon :p

I really like that rock scene, looking forward to seeing the final product ^^
  • Drakon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drakon polycounter lvl 6
    Thank you Jungsik! :)
    When it comes to his skin and wrinkles i think i will be using some alphas with exaggerated intensity at first and then smooth them out to get a rough wrinkle that i can finetune with clay and pinch brush.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great <_< im lookin forward :D
  • Drakon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drakon polycounter lvl 6
    Ok, had a little time today so tried out some poses, have a look and tell me wich one you like or even post suggestions to other poses i should try :)
    33k3zu0.jpg
    9jetyv.jpg
    157223r.jpg
    9antr9.jpg
    etdydt.jpg
    23leeww.jpg
  • Drakon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drakon polycounter lvl 6
    Also got a little time to test out some alphas i made from rhino and elephant pictures, this is the one i think would resemble a dragonskin the most.
    2i2bpko.jpg
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    For the cave, piles of gold and treasure. dragons love gold and hate it when stealth hobbits steal from them.

For bones, I would say more dwarve remains than humans. Humans are greedy, but they don't have a hard-on for caves and jewels and such like a dwarf does.
  • Eltrex06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow really looking good so far, like the scales you have so far

Love the second and forth pose you got there, one the second pose it kinda looks like hes roaring down towards the ground... perhaps have him with his head up more like hes roaring into the sky (better sound travel vs aiming it to the ground)

one suggestion i would make is when i think of a dragon i think of reptile and replies have a lot of different size scales depending on which part of the body its on

check out some pics of iguanas and you can see what i mean.. they have larger scales on their heads and even large scales near the jaw and then it tapers into smaller scales on the body
  • Drakon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drakon polycounter lvl 6
    Thanx guys :)
    Eltrex: Ill look for some pictures and adjust the scales first thing tomorrow :)
  • Drakon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drakon polycounter lvl 6
    Reworking the shoulder area. Seems more correct (?)
    x43uhv.jpg
    edit* smaller image
  • Drakon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drakon polycounter lvl 6
    Just adding as i go, in case someone see any huge mistakes made :P
    dmedxj.jpg
  • Drakon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drakon polycounter lvl 6
    havent had alot of time to work with this until today, so heres version 2:
    2dhirux.jpg
    w189zp.jpg

Going to work on the face, add the wings and also add some assymetrical scars before i start painting, still not sure what color to go for :P
  • Eltrex06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    for color, i'm not sure if you have ever watched "walking with dinosaurs" on the discovery channel but they have some really cool renders of the dinosaurs in colors. Maybe that will give you some ideas.

http://dsc.discovery.com/dinosaurs/

^ that has a lot of video clips and dino viewers that can give you some ideas
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OoOO its looking prty damn good! Drakon :D

I hope your gonna go back finish the feet !!

the wings could use a bit more definition and detail!

Good luck!
  • Drakon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drakon polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks guys! Really appreciate it :)
    Will watch some "walking with dinosaurs" :)
    Also, Jungsik, please be more specific about the feet, this screenshot is without the claws if that is what you mean, if its anything else please tell me :)
  • Drakon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drakon polycounter lvl 6
    Okay! Got around to do some sculpting and coloring and just had to test out the diffuse and normalmap in 3dsmax, heres what i got so far, without any of the other subtools:
    an0mio.jpg
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OH okay :D I really like the pose :)
  • Eltrex06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking good keep it up cant wait to see the wings and claws go on :P
  • Drakon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drakon polycounter lvl 6
    Thank you :) I got the claws and wings done and eksported but got busy before adding them to max, will do that today. Also gonna sculpt some stuff like broken armor, old tree and piles of treasure for the cave :)
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i appreciate these are just pictures taken from my mobile phone (scanner is broked =[). but hopefully they'll help you with any proportional tweaks you want to make, taken from the Draconomicon (D&D dragon book).
    DSC_0222.jpg
    DSC_0223.jpg
    DSC_0224.jpg
    DSC_0225.jpg
  • Drakon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drakon polycounter lvl 6
    oO Thanks, i actually used a different picture of the same Blue dragon that you posted as one of my main inspirations. Will check out the proportions and make sure they are not outrageously far away from your pictures :)
  • Drakon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drakon polycounter lvl 6
    Proportions seem fine so added the other subtools and tested out some fire in his mouth:
    o8c321.jpg
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    I really dig the weight that this guy has- looks real sturdy.

my only gripe go back to your HiPo sculpt. Your mid level details are far too underdeveloped and it results in a muddy end result.
    try to break any sculpting process down into 3 steps:

Large details first > Medium details second > small high frequency details last.
    One thing I see time and time again is people getting too excited while working in sculpting packages and they rush to the small detail stage too quick.

things like the muscles, chest plates, bone land marks (such as the jaw region) need definition. Right now all of those are muddy.

Try to simulate how the muscles might stack, or tuck underneath one another- get some hard edges/creases where organic forms smash into one other. The anatomy is there and looks solid- it just needs some lovin.

A little more definition and this guy will sing-
  • Drakon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drakon polycounter lvl 6
    Hey, thanks :)
    I can agree when it comes to hard edges on the chestplates and bone landmarks, but after i defined the muscles i purposely softened the edges where the organic forms smash to make the skin look thicker, like the skin of a elephant. Dont you think tightening the creases around the muscles would make the skin feel thinner?
    Im no expert so im all for changing stuff, but would like your thoughts on this and also if anyone else has an opinion, please share :)
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Good to see you're using some good reference there, he's looking great :)
  • Klumpmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow love that you got it done! Looks superb!
  • Drakon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drakon polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks guys :) appreciate it!
    Going to be adding the cave, some more environmentand also doing some small changes to the dragon before the 17. Hopefully i will have enough free time to do this :P
  • Drakon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drakon polycounter lvl 6
    Well, the deadline was moved to yesterday, and i did not get enough time for the environmental stuff so this is what i delivered for the competition:
    mlno9g.jpg

Might work a bit more on this, unless i get inspired to start some other stuff :P
  • Drakon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drakon polycounter lvl 6
    Also heres a closeup testrender of the head, checking out the bumpmap in the render, turned out more noisy and lacking some defining lines in the scales but had to use it since the time ran out :P
    bg72mg.jpg