Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Treasure Chest - Feedback and Comments Needed

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Vinterdragen polycounter lvl 12
Hey guys, the following is a "next-gen game prop" with 1k color, normal and specular maps. 454 triangles...

I would like to receive some comments and crits...

cheste.jpg

Replies

• Vinterdragen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think that the bolts are awful and the wood needs more bump at the grooves.
    Any suggestions about tri count?
    Any suggestion about the textures?
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    post them flats. Got a ref?

The bolts on the metal aren't bad. Kinda have a realistic haphazard look.

Tricount doesn't matter as much as how well you used your polygons. Wireframe shots will help judge this.

I'd trim it more, metal trim across the bottom, and lid edges. Handles on the sides aren't a bad idea either.

Wood looks like a picture of wood you googled, and figured it was good enough. Could use some painting, leveling, etc.

Some parts get a touch on the noisy side, especially the details around the lock.

Bleeding the metal and wood together can help add to the aged look.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Everything that cholden said, and the pixel density between the top and the bottom part, the top part looks sharp, bottom looks blurry.
    Hope you understand what i am saying xD
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, defo doesn't look like a 1024 at alll, more like a 512 with everything fully textured even inside.

A look at the UV maps will REALLY help show up whats going on here.
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it looks like a great start man ;) You could probably get away with a little moore polys. Its good to aim low, but i really think you could get away with around 500 to 1k if you are working in an engine like UDK or Cryengine.
  • Sylk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just have to throw it out there that a mate and I pushed UDK to half a billion Tri before it crashed (Bottomed out at 1.24 frames per second, then crashed entirely) and about 40 million Tri before we started getting a significant frame dropping (Below 50 fps)...

So to say 1k tri, is a mass understatement. Hahaha. :P

On the note of the Model Chest, I have nothing that I could really add. I like the way you're going with it, but any other input or suggestion I have has already been said.

Either way, the overall feel of it is pretty beat up, I like it.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Since when has more polygons = better art...? O_o

Just because you CAN eat a whole pizza, doesn't mean you SHOULD.

Though pizza is awesome.
  • Vinterdragen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is my first model for game, I made UVs thinking about enabling to paint at Mudbox, trying to give a not reused texture for each face, but there are some mirroring in the UVs. The metal frames are mirrored, all the bottom 4 corner metal frames have the same texture and the frames at the cover too.
    The inside of the chest is also textured, the chest has a thickness (I imagine to then animate the chest opening). I found some UVs distribution issues so the pixels assigned are not balanced throughout the model.

I think about oxide the metal and metal bleeding, but is hard for me to paint it, I will keep trying

Thanks for the crits :D take a look at the UVs, wireframe and the maps.
    I re-sized all the Images in order to upload and load faster...

wireframer.jpguvsoverlay.jpguvn.jpg28054052.jpginsiden.jpgbacksideh.jpg

Please more crits to remake it much better :D
    I also have doubts about distribution at the UV Layout :(