Home General Discussion

PC problem

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
rolfness polycounter lvl 18
Hi guys a friend got a new pc and I suggested to him to install Win 7 64 bit.

but hes having huge problems with BSODs. Ive updated all the drivers for components, but still no cookie.

Ive also stress tested the PC using prime 95 and it comes up clean :/

run memtest and thats clean too.

BSOD messages vary from crash to crash the more common ones are memory management and Win 32..

any help would be much appreciated..

Replies

• Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    File this one under 'Duuuh thanks captain obvious'

But is the RAM seated properly? I had that exact same promblem because one RAM module was very slightly out of it's socket.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did look earlier but removed and reseated and running prime 95 again
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Like I suggested on the other broken PC thread, remove none essential hardware. Although you may have the latest drivers, it doesn't mean they are good.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Take out each stick of ram and only run one at a time <if you can, then use the machine see what happens after each one.

Did you/him/you guys build It yourself?
    Did you reuse any old parts?

What are the specifications of the machine/ brands for memory, motherboard, gfx ect.ect.

Hope you figure It out otherwise good luck guys.
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    What are the error messages in the BSOD? They usually help isolate the problem.
  • Neavah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    (just throwing this out there - another thing I would try)
    run a Chkdsk...

Good luck! :)
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys

All compenents new, and I built it for him, I dont have the specs handy right now, bit its something along these lines

i5 Processor
    Gigabyte Mobo
    4 gig ram DDR3 dual channel
    2x 1Tb HDD Seagate
    soundblaster audigy

and funnily enough reseating the ram and running prime 95 throws nothing up and I havent had a BSOD all day.. Im a bit reluctant to tell him its all fine in case its not. Did chkdsk came up clean. One possibility is RAM trouble but prime 95 should flag this one up. It ran for 8 hours today without a problem..

Am thinking now its a software issue and will probably do a wipe and a reinstall.

cheers
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That was probably it. Just start opening apps that stress the system more. Like Photoshop (if it's installed), a 3D accelerated game, etc...
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    BSOD's are normally related to the RAM, so it sounds like you probably got it fixed. If you didn't...I would just install windows again and see what happens. Also set all the BIOS settings to their default.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually, BSOD can come from anything hardware and/or driver related. I've seen it happen which screwed up mobo drivers, or swapping in a new mobo/CPU.

But these days, it's rare to have a BSOD due to a software/application issue anymore, so if you have a BSOD, it's always good to start checking the hardware, including reducing to 1 RAM module, if it has multiple. Reseating RAM is good too (as you have seen now ;))
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    Use Memtest for am testing. That'll catch everything.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leaving over night to run stress tests.. if its still running in the morning then its a wipe and reinstall everything.

muchos gracias peeps.
  • hayame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness wrote: »
    leaving over night to run stress tests.. if its still running in the morning then its a wipe and reinstall everything.

muchos gracias peeps.

If it still doesn't work, i'd suggest checking each and individually if every stick of ram works properly, then id check id the slots work properly too.