Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Yep, it's another AK47.

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
Hi all!
This is an AK47 I've been working on lately.
I just baked and started texturing today, so the texture is in no way final.

I've excluded some details on it that won't be visible in first person view, seeing as it's only going to be used for that.

I'd love some crits on the material defining as I go along texturing this.
The only areas I'm more or less done with (I think) are the wooden handles and stock.

2uszpyw.jpg

I'm aware that this is one of the most common weapons to be modeled, and there are tons of awesome ones, so I'm almost afraid of posting mine but....
Looking forward to getting crits from you! :)

Replies

• MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Gun overall looks great, you should add some more metal detail and make the wood alot less shiny.
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    could you also post a bigger render so we can look at the details ...
  • jrmenace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea maybe post a few more angles but to me the wood looks really good like that varnished clear coat, looks nice- alotho i'll give you a few crits i think the first half of the barrel the top could use more detail, also maybe the barrels a lil too thick,and i cant tell from the angle but the back end looksa lil small
  • bglopresti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If anyone has ever seen an AK they are usually beat up in some shape or form. Yours looks like it literally came out of the box. Rough it up add some dirt, some nicks and scratches. Other then that keep at it, everything looks close otherwise.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your feedback!
    I won't be able to work a lot on it today, seeing as I'm home with my sick son, but here are some updated shots from last night.
    I have started incorporating some of the things you mentioned, and will continue to do so tonight. :)

2z4zeaf.jpg
  • Colditz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Which version was your intention to build? Lot of AK were manufactured in the last years, and lot of different versions in every country. You have used some sort of reference for that. I'm missing the blue finish used on most early AK-47 and also some manufacturer stamps on the left and right side of the receiver. Additional, some details are completely wrong and the shape of the receiver is way to cornered at the top. A side view would be great!

697606.jpeg

Rifle_AK-47.jpg
  • Barnstable
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like the textures on there. I think it's very realistic, and stands up to most other examples of AK's I've seen modeled.

My one crit is that the modeling on the whole gun is so polished and smooth, and then you come to the clip in which I can clearly see five straight angles on the silhouette contributing to the curvature. It kind of breaks the illusion of it being a real gun for me.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your feedback!

Here are two pictures I used for reference:
    ak47.jpg

AK-47.jpg
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    As usual the dust cover and disassembly button, which are right in the player's face, are shaped wrong. It really helps to spend five minutes finding reference pictures. The ribs look wrong too. They shouldn't continue down that far. Also, why is there a big metal band on the front of your stock where it meets the receiver? It's not on any real AK and it's not in any of your refs. Also, you made the right side of the receiver stamped and the left side milled, which is... wrong. The whole gun should be one or the other.

408f5492f77b43fb458236e5b925da3c.png
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    i dunno if its a big deal but your AK has one side of the reciever milled and the other side stamped which isnt a thing irl. Like it has a lot of details off but most your key features are AKM specific apart from the milled side of the reciever and chinese style muzzle brake
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh wrote: »
    As usual the dust cover and disassembly button, which are right in the player's face, are shaped wrong. It really helps to spend five minutes finding reference pictures. The ribs look wrong too. They shouldn't continue down that far. Also, why is there a big metal band on the front of your stock where it meets the receiver? It's not on any real AK and it's not in any of your refs. Also, you made the right side of the receiver stamped and the left side milled, which is... wrong. The whole gun should be one or the other.

Thank you very much for the feedback Kitteh! :)
    I understand what you are saying, and I agree. My version is basicly a kitbash between different versions of the AK.
    It's mainly based on the older versions, but I found it very hard to find good references from just that one, so I went with having similar versions as refs. However, there are some differences between the ones.

This is another one of my refs. You can see the metal band in front of the stock there.
    AKMS_AK47.jpg

My goal was to create an AK that looks like an AK. I wanted to viewer to think immediately "That's an AK47!".

I'm not saying it's OK to model without references. I'm a ref-freak, and I can spend days just building a ref library. :)
    And I'm not trying to defend my model saying you're wrong, because you're not. It's just a choice I made to take some details from different versions in order to make it look like a generic AK47.

Again, thanks for the detailed feedback!
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry wrote: »
    i dunno if its a big deal but your AK has one side of the reciever milled and the other side stamped which isnt a thing irl. Like it has a lot of details off but most your key features are AKM specific apart from the milled side of the reciever and chinese style muzzle brake

I'm not sure what you mean. What do you mean with milled and stamped reciever?
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, gotcha! Checked out some different recievers on an online shop.
    Will see what I can do about it. :)

EDIT: Will make the reciever stamped. ^^
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I managed to get a few changes in while my son was taking a nap. Nothing like working under pressure. :)

Nothing major.. Just fixed the reciever, added some text and added a.. hanger? for the strap. I am aware of the fact that there is no second hanger (?), but it wouldn't be visible anyways.

Hope you like the progress.

2lc5kwo.jpg
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a sideview. Someone requested it. :)
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Meyeraustin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great to me.

What's the tri count?

Can anyone fill me in on what "milled" versus "stamped" means?
  • Ikuru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks nice dude! :) Loads of detail. I think the wood looks a bit plastic atm, Maybe try to turn down the spec and ad some saturation, and maybe ad some scratches etc on the normalmap.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you. :)
    I'll see what I can do!

I can't use color in my spec though. Don't ask me why. -_-
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    You still need to fix the ribs continuing all the way down the dustcover (if you can)
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh wrote: »
    You still need to fix the ribs continuing all the way down the dustcover (if you can)

I'll see if I can make a quick fix of that when I get back home. :)
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    Sexy, now it just needs to be dirtied up a little! Would love to see a wire.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff wrote: »
    Sexy, now it just needs to be dirtied up a little! Would love to see a wire.

Cheers! :)
    Yeah, dirtying it up is next on my agenda, after fixing the stock up a bit. :)
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson polycounter lvl 9
    go easy on the dirt up!
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    I might be wrong, but I think it could stand to be slightly wider, by about 5 - 10% maybe . And I don't necessarily agree with dirtying it up. I like it how it is. The Kalashnikov is the most produced assault rifle in history (I believe it's still in production even today, in one form or another), so there are probably millions of pristine, never-been-fired examples of the AK-47. Even most of the refs that have been posted in this thread look pretty well-maintained. I don't understand why everyone is obsessed with griming everything up. People who own/use firearms usually make it a priority to maintain their weapon.

I guess it also depends on context. If you want to represent it as being used by a military force of some sort, or by organized crime (e.g. large drug cartel, mafia, etc.), then I vote to keep it as it stands now. Conversely, if you want to represent it as being used by a small terrorist organization, or by a member of a street gang, I guess you could age it a bit and make it look more worn, but I wouldn't use the word "dirty" and I wouldn't overdo it. Just make the metal areas around moving parts look worn (around the bolt, rear folding sight, ROF selector, etc.), scratch and ding the wood stock and forearm, etc., but be subtle. And even in that context, you don't necessarily have to age it. It's not unreasonable to think that a member of Al-Qaeda or crip or blood could have a pristine example... they're not that rare or expensive.

[edit] also, a post-apocalyptic context is another scenario where a more aged/used/worn example might work better
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much KeyserSoze! :)
    At first I was going to keep it as it is, but after looking at references and talking with friends I've decided to add some wear and tear to it.
    I definately don't want to overdo it, just add some sand/dust in the crevices and some tear on the steel here and there.

I really appreciate the input!
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    No problem. I'm not saying that a more worn/dirty version would be unrealistic, just that it's not absolutely necessary. It all really comes down to the context you want, and of course it never hurts to have more than one version. It looks great, so keep it up.
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    The main culprit in that causes damage to a firearm's appearance aside from dropping it, brush scrapping it, etc is the shooters hands. The oil from your hands is bad for the metal on a gun. The oil, salt, moisture when combined with the heat that comes from firing the gun causes blemishes, that while can be wiped clean and re-oiled eventually leads to a wear down on a guns sheen. Same principles of varnish on a coffee table being worn down over time. It causes the same sort of semi bleaching effect that appears on varnished coffee tables.

Maintaining a pistol

If you look closely at the images on that website even (especially on the slide) though the gun is obviously very well maintained you can still see wear that occurs on any firearm that is handled semi-regularly. Slight blemishes that cause a distortion in the spec/gloss maps. Racer has gone over this a lot, but its one of those things that can never be said enough.

Unless a gun is taken fresh out the box it'll have those inconsistencies in the specularity/gloss, just at varying levels depending on how often its cleaned, used, and where its held. As I mentioned before, even the guns finish will start to fade in spots towards the metal (causing a whitening), which is why after a lot of use/time most personal firearm owners I know will have a gun re-blued/nickeled/finished. Generally the better care thats given the longer the time it takes before that is needed.

Anyway looks cool, but I'm not a fan of the current wood texture you have on the grip it catches my eye and distracts me. Not saying that, that grain doesn't happen on grips, I just personally find it odd and distracting, granted you'd never really see it in game since its covered by the shooters hand 90% of the time.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, that's a really cool link Grimm_Wrecking! Thanks a bunch for sharing! I'll definately look over it more closely when I get back home.

I'll go over the spec map a few times before I call it done. :)
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update.
    Flattened the stock as it reaches the reciever.
    Also dirtied it up a little bit and changed the presentation a bit.

Hope you like it!

ax1z51.jpg
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    Grimm_Wrecking has the right idea. work just the gloss more if you don't want it worn down any more than it is now. those slight oily highlight warps are essential for making cleanish things.

the wood is looking a lot better but along with more gloss work, properly representing how they made the wood parts for many of these weapons will pull it way closer to the real thing. having the lines from the wood paneling will help add some direction to the gun as well. here's a tutorial on how someone achieved this look using projection: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1200008&postcount=45

since the gun is dark, some hue changes in the diffuse may prevent parts from blending together. some easy to make dirt may help too.

also the scrapes in the diffuse should be the same tone as whatever the surface underneath the coating is (generally not brighter.) making the scratches bright on the diffuse is a very old-gen technique, and was done to emulate the light shining on them, which there's no need for because now we have proper specular!
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for taking your time again Racer. :)

Do you mean something along these lines?
    mtkysy.jpg
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright.. I have to call this done.
    I'm happy with it, and I don't have any more time to work on it unfortunately. I have other projects I need to deal with.

Thank you all SO, SO much for helping me achieve this final result! Couldn't have done it without you!

ak_47_final_by_beere-d323mc1.jpg

Cheers!
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Sick as hell! What did you use to render the screens?
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. :)

I used Marmoset. A real-time render engine.
    You can check it out here: http://www.8monkeylabs.com/tech/toolbag
  • [Deleted User]
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    I think it looks pretty damn sweet! Do you have flats of the final texture? Would love to see em. Cheers!
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    nice job. great looking rifle!
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, wow! Talk about necro! :D

@kinetic: I'll check out your thread ASAP!

@Brygelsmack: Thank you! I'll see if I can find them when I get back home.

@SouthpawSid: Thanks. :)

I really appreciate all your kind words, but maybe we should let this thread go back to its slumber? :)
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Cool, thanks!

Are you home yet? ^^