Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Pickles

Hey guys

Im seeing if I can get one more piece on my portfolio before my school sends it out.

I was originally going todo a dragon, but instead I ended up with something...cuter. I call him pickles...because well, Im gonna texture him like a pickle.

The zbrush sculpt is "done" but I'd like you guys' input before I move on to the lowpoly baking and texturing.

Anything look odd or straight up bad, let me know. Ill take anything into account, but Im sadly under time preassure.

The concept I ended up with and started from:
pickleswip03.jpg

And here's the sculpt that has some proporsional alterations:
presentationm.png

Please C&C
Thanks

Replies

• Skillmister
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Looks great although i think the tail should get a bit thinner near the end like in concept. Just personal preference.
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    heh, that kicks ass!

- BoBo
  • Veneficus
    This made me laugh XD I like it!

I think it looks great. Only thing I can think of is that his legs are shorter(or at least bent) in the concept, which I think suits his stubby, pickle like nature.. And gives him more wheight!
  • OrganizedChaos
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    Hahaha, oh man, I love how smug it looks! I agree- definitely super cute as well :3
    Are you going to add a bit more variation in the size of the scales? The larger details seem to be missing in the sculpt so far.
    If I were to crit anything, I'd say the tail looks a little... too heavy? Right now it's coming off more non-reptilian with it shaped like that.
  • woogity
    love this guy nice stuff!

for crits the sculpt outside of the head, which is awesome, seems to lack a little definition, it feels very soft, which im sure is intentional, but areas like the joints could use some harder points i think.
  • BlvdNights
  • JGcount
    Hey guys - thanks for all the replies and feedback.

Ended up changing the tail(eventhough it it looked like a pickle) since it was suggested to me by my teacher and because it seemed to emediately fix the two issues pointed out to me on this thread: That the old concept had more weight to it and that the tail looked...well...weird. The new tail fits his longer legs and make him more agile...MORE being the important word there.

As mentioned, had a tight schedule so couldnt update alot since I simply had to work on him for my portfolio(which gets "sent out" this monday). So, one week later:
    Pickles_blog_v01.png

Please, still feel free to CC and if you're interested, there's a turn table of him along with the maps on my blog

PICKLES!!!
  • d1ver
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Ohcrap! Amazing pickle!
    My only nitpick would be that I would probably use a bit more cold colors in the shadows or just in the some selective places to add a bit of warm/cold color variation. I'd also brighten shadowed places a bit more. And his ear could use a bit more geo. It's really noticeable on the side view.

But that really not that important. Really great work! Good luck with finding a job.)
  • Dim
    Offline / Send Message
    Dim polycounter lvl 10
    Love the model! As mentioned, there needs to be a little variation in the colors. I think the veiny areas could really use some deep purply-reddish touches. Overall, it looks really fantastic. :)