Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Combat Rifle

Ghostscape
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
Faffing about at home with this. Originally was going to do a Killzone2 style photo-concept but I got lazy and mashed shit together in Pimp my Gun instead. This is obviously leading to some issues that I really need to address, since the 98B stock overlaid on the FN2000 stock is a horrible non-euclidean nightmare, which I have half-assed into a useless rack and cheek rest, and will probably have to scrap.

Sights, details, magazines obviously unfinished, this is about 50% of the way through. Figured I'd post it and get some eyeballs on it. I'm not happy with the Meprolight sight, either, and want to come up with something sleek but with enough cool shit going on to make it part of some integrated air-bursting fusing system, since whats the fucking point of integrating a grenade launcher if you're not going to do really cool shit with it?

Also, the tertiary 'barrel' next to the gas system is a brass ejection tube, it's actually slightly angled downward (starts way back in the foregrip alongside the barrel) but it protrudes so shallowly you can't tell it slopes.

Anyhow this is a whole lot of words, here's a picture:

combatweaponwip2.jpg

Replies

• n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a lot of the gun looks too smooth like the holes at the end of the gun on the cage around the barrel. more loops would help there.

scope looks unfinished, a place holder i assume.

stock needs work, looks too plain and does not reflect the futuristic look of the rest of the the gun.
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    err... how does it work? The ejection port is way too far forward of the magazine. It should be centered above it. That cage thing over the stock doesn't look like it serves any purpose.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    pretty blocky weapon in terms of shape ( i know , wip ) , the sideview ( gray ) seems interesting, but the shapes arent beeing made interesting, lots of boxy shapes that dont make this gun interesting at all. Post moar progress ! do it do it do it !
  • PLing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the silhouette but it seems really thick. That grip would be really uncomfortable (or nearly impossible) to hold in real life, it's so wide.
  • IdiotDrummerGuy
    I like where this is going, some interesting concepts here. The GL up top with the rifle down below is interesting.

I dunno about the casings being ejected forward out of the gun... that just seems odd and logistically inefficient. Maybe pull a P90 and have em drop from below? Also, the giant bolt action lever that is shown in the sil looks vastly out of place XD a bit more nitpicky here - from where the rifle portion's firing assembly sits, it wouldn't have enough room to cycle a new round because it's awfully close to the rear mag.
    Johny wrote: »
    pretty blocky weapon in terms of shape

I agree with Johny on that one, the weapon does seem a bit too much like straight lines. Things like broomsticks, infrared sights, etc. are great at breaking those lines.

I'm really liking all the detail up front, that all seems well implemented and functional, just be sure to crisp those edges up a bit. looking forward to seeing more!
  • bglopresti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The concept of the weapon isn't terrible. It is kind of blocky though. The stock doesn't feel right at all. Too many straight lines add some curves in there. The grip needs work also unless however you are making the weapon who can palm 3 basketballs at once. Other then that its close. Keep at it.
  • Exut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just curious, but do grenade launchers need case ejectors? (not referring to your design, just a question in general) That's silly right?
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    Exut wrote: »
    Just curious, but do grenade launchers need case ejectors? (not referring to your design, just a question in general) That's silly right?

Depends on the grenade and/or launcher. This launcher uses grenades that have a casing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M203_grenade_launcher
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Wow, thread necro. Haven't worked on this much since then, maybe I should finish it up :)