Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Leopard 5 AX - Main Battle Tank Concept

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Monolith polycounter lvl 18
Hi there! :D

These Days I've been working on a lost model ( HDD Crash ) of a Next-next Generation Modular Allround-Tank which for now I call Leopard 5 AX.
He's supposed to be 1 of 4-6 Child-Tanks stored inside a giant Mothership ( Supertank/Mobile Base of some sort )

Pretty much everything is still WIP. Going back and forth all over the place to keep the overall detail similiar on the whole model.

13930_1286743258_large.jpg
13930_1286743299_large.jpg
13930_1286743341_large.jpg
The Leo5 features 4 Sets of Tracks to have some redundancy but has them mounted next to each other to keep the tank short.
The outer Tracks are driven by the rear Drive Sprocket while the inner Tracks are driven by the front Drive Sprocket.

13930_1286743370_large.jpg
A picture showing the basic Turret design with the cutout areas for the Modular Weapon designs featuring:
2x 40mm RAMJET Gatling Cannons ( Seen in the following Pictures )
2x 140mm Smoothbore Autoloader Cannons & 2x 80mm Smoothbore RAMJET Cannons
2x Cutting Laser Cannons
2x Large-Scale Factory Assembly Robotic Arms

13930_1287596646_large.jpg
13930_1287596688_large.jpg
The 40mm Gatling Cannon with the mounting and cooling Structure on top of it.
The ammunition Tank will be stored inside the front area of the Turret.
Only the Cannon itself moves up and down.

13930_1287789225_large.jpg
13930_1287789192_large.jpg
The almost finished Tank with the 2 Targeting Optics on top ( and one not visible below the turret ) which also server as regular cameras to drive the tank in a 3rd Person perspective.

The darker Armor is a special Monomolecular Steel a lot tougher than the normal armor but also a lot heavier thus only used for critical areas.

Replies

• Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    Looking really good.
    Will be watching the progress!
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    Show us the ref or concept :)
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    I love the style of it! Keep it up!
  • fabio brasilien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fabio brasilien polycounter lvl 11
    great details!
  • polozad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polozad polycounter lvl 9
    One question. How it should aim?
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    Simple design but realy appeals to me :).
  • A-N-P
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A-N-P polycounter lvl 6
    Awesome high poly modeling. Looking forward to seeing more updates :P
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    Nice details you did there I especially like how the defferent prats fit together and give interesting layouts on your surfaces without over-detailing them. And thats a unique design.

But from my personal point of view I'm not sure about the dual tracks because: There is not much advantage in having redundant tracks. If one fails the thing isn't moving anywhere. So basicly every track design that has more than one track on each side rather increases the chance of losing your modbility. But anyway we are talking about scifi so one could ignore those issues in favor of a new design idea. But speaking about design: The second row tracks don't do much for the viewer. It'll probably take quite some tri-count in your lowpoly but will only be visible when viewed directly from the front or back of the vehicle. So I guess 7 out of 10 people won't recognize this design feature when they encounter the model within a game.

Another thing about the unique design. I really like the different parts the whole hull consists of. And put together the different parts give a great layout on your surfaces. So great job on this. I imagine great normalmap details, can't wait to see them.
    But the overall silhouette is not very appealing to me. It basicly is a block on tracks and its not providing much differences if viewed from the side or the front (rectangle vs. square that is)

Again from a realism point of view (which is less important to you, I guess, which I'm fine with) the large turret will cause serious issues: A big target that is easy to hit, much weight which makes targeting slower. The design has no chance in effectively getting into a hull down position. So in general I see your design completely relying on its heavy armor as a defense. But this is a doctrine thats more and more abandoned by state of the art military (I think). The doctrine of thicker armor = higher survivability was already negated by insane tank designs from world war II. I guess today its more important to try to avoid being hit by anything because no matter how thick your armor is: There will always be a weapon system breaking through.
    But this is only from a realism point of view. But some additional details on the silhouette can improve the model.
  • Monolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Monolith polycounter lvl 18
    @ Disting / sltrOlsson / fabio brasilien / snow / A-N-P:
    Thanks a lot! Will try to keep it up :)

@ vofff:
    There's actually no artwork of the tank. If I recall it right I started with the Idea of a Turreted version of this West German Tank Versuchstr
  • teknomancer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    first off, i think the germans tried something like this in ww2, and even then it was too complex (why do you think the two tanks didnt have that much history?) however, the turret looks nice, but would be way too easy to destroy, as it has flat sides,think angles and you have a great idea. the flatter the side, the easier it is to be shot through. (why the german were surprised to see the t34 is because they had come across a tank they had never encountered before, one with slanted armour., that their shells could not penetrate). i do like the idea of modular design, and am impressed with the general look of the model, but technically, i'm afraid, it leaves a lot to be desired. sorry if this sounds critial, but in my experience, what looks good, often does not work. you may ignore my comments if you wish, as it is after all your own design. my advice, if you wish to try it, keep it simple, then it works. thanks for reading this. sorry if it is too critical.
  • teknomancer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    an alternative power supply might be nuclear, fusion is always a good diet for a tank this size. also, it would then be steam powered, so hissing componants and escaping steam are a useful addition. high powered steam also produces immense amounts of electrical power, so speed and energy can be a good method of not being hit. as an aside, excessive energy like that could be used to produce an electrical field through the armour, giving a kind of force field. the idea being that a high enough electrical field will melt any ammo that hits it before it can do any damage. this is a concept in developement in the us and uk today. might be useful, i thought?
  • teknomancer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you mention that the tank would look too much like the tanks of today, and i agree, it would. but bear in mind, if they are that way, it's because that's what was needed for the modern battlefield.
  • Razgriz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    This is looking pretty awesome, I'm eager to see it progress. Just a couple points I would take note of:

I have to give the obligatory "Your edges are too hard, soften those things up!". Way too tight right now.

Like someone else mentioned, the silhouette needs a lot of work. Right now you've got a really cool box on tracks, and I would love to see some interesting design choice to turn this into a well designed vehicle, and not just a well modeled one.

Be careful about the size of the bolts and bevels. You can set the scale of a piece by how you use these, and right now there isn't any consistency, for example, the giant bolt insets on the body, compared with the tiny ones on the tracks. I think it would be wiser to use the large ones sparingly, and be a little more liberal with the tiny ones.
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    It's an interesting idea and the model is coming together nicely.
    I can see some super serious design flaws tho if we assume this thing is supposed to work in the real world.
    - Where does the crew enter? i see no doors
    - where does the driver sit? There is no room for him because of the dual tracks and the 4x4 drivetrain (which a tank doesn't need because of the tracks). And even if he had a place there somewhere he couldn't see anything. The view is already pretty bad in modern tanks but with this huge turret on there there is only a very tiny slit to see anything.
    - 90 degree edges and the tall silhouette make a tank very vulnerable. the development of modern tanks goes in the complete other direction. flat angles and flat silhouette
    - the whole thing would probably fall over when the turret is in 3 or 9 oclock position
    - the engine would overheat because the turret is completely over the cooling
  • TheUtahraptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Even with the recoil reducer, this thing's kick-back must launch the whole continent into space!!!
  • TheUtahraptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    in real life that is...
  • TheUtahraptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if it were in real life.
  • LaurentiuN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
  • Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    Looks awesome, I like the idea that the gatling guns are hidden inside the turret