Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[PORTFOLIO]-Dan Pingston

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Dan! polycounter lvl 6
Hey all. I've been reworking my portfolio recently and would love some more eyes on it. I'm still juggling content around so any advice/crits on things to add/drop or design/layout whatever would be appreciated. Thanks.

www.dan-art.com

Replies

• jackalope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jackalope polycounter lvl 11
    I am not a character artist so I cannot really critique you there but there are a few issues with the site i found:
    the female head sculpt image is linked "Hard Knocks" page
    and the very last image doesn't work when i click it.

I am using google chrome on Windows 7
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    Same link problem here. I like you work but i think the plumpkin isn't your best piece so maybe it would be better to set an other painting/3d as start picture.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Looking at the sculpts of your various characters, one thing that stands out is that you could really push your sculpted details a lot further. Your diffuse texturing / polypainting is pretty decent, but viewing the sculpts on their own, there seems to be a lot of pretty broad strokes, overlaying pretty simple textural details. I'd take some more time to really push the details of your sculpts. I'd probably show some more texture flats, too.

I like your 2D stuff, though, even if the behold-my-perfect-tits-fairy seems a bit gratuitous. The last image seems to be linking to a local file, though.
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for taking the time guys. I fixed the linking issues(doh!) also got rid of the pumpkin. maybe i'll get a blog going for small sketches and holiday shinanigans. Texture flats are on the way
    @danshewan- I agree and I'll definitely push myself harder in those aspects. Thanks
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Looks great man. Space pirate has a border on it and the other thumbnails don't Otherwise the work is hot man.
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Purplepaint polycounter lvl 8
    Im not a character artist myself, so i cant really crit you there. Everything looks solid and great :D.

But for your website you should definately have a nav. Even thou you really only have a gallery and render images etc.. Your viewer should never have to use the browser back button. (or so my web dev proff taught me).
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    doesn't load for google chrome on my pc :(
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    @purplepaint- that's definitely been a point of debate that I will take into consideration maybe at least a home button on the content pages.

I have no idea(yet) as to why chrome is eating the site I'll be looking into it soon. Thanks for looking.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    I'm loving the blank, grey page.

looking forward to actually seeing it! lol.
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    edited for redundancy
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    Hey all! Since the new year is off to a start, I'm looking to begin culling back some of my older projects and bringing in new art. I'm looking to pick up more freelance jobs this year and transition into a full time gig. Any critiques and advice on what I can add or subtract from my portfolio would be greatly appreciated.
    www.dan-art.com

Here is a link to my cghub gallery which has a larger selection of images especially for my 2d
    http://damnit.cghub.com/
    thanks for looking.
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Really cool stuff, Love the pre-dom char a lot.

I'd personally like to see a lot of your HP stuff that's been poly painted, transfered to low polys with some wires and some texture sheets. You've got a lot of really cool looking characters.
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    Hey all Just wanted to post a big giant update to my site and as always, I'm looking for critiques and feedback- http://www.dan-art.com/

-new weapons and armor sculpts/concepts
    DanLion.jpg

DanHandW.jpg
    as well as culled out some things that are irrelleveant at this point.

I will be adding my "lil Devil" character

DanPinupPres.jpgas

well as adding in my frank sculpt
    frankfinish.jpg

Lots of growing since i first posted this. Still more to go- thanks for looking
  • Laughing_Bun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Laughing_Bun polycounter lvl 17
    The concept/sculpts for me are a bit hard to read. The paint over stuff you are doing isn't flushed out enough and really is just distracting. You need to sharpen up some edge detail because you are not helping the forms at all. I would much rather see a grey zbrush render. Work looks pretty good, but that was my first thought and it irritated my eyes.
  • tekmatic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tekmatic polycounter lvl 11
    Hey there Dan,

Great site, simple and to the point. Few things that in my opinion need fixing. For one, you describe yourself as a character artist, yet you are displaying weapons and props.....I would either remove them or change your self description.

Also the bottom part where people can contact you (and I guess you want potential companies/clients to contact you) I would make it more clear and distinct and separated a little from each other as well as put them on the top of the page. If I want to contact/check out your CV, I don't want to go fishing for it.

As for the work, it looks great (and am not a character artist)

Hope this helps.
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    TRANSFER YOUR HIGH POLYS TO LOW POLYS NUB. <3

PS. THEN SHOW WIRES.
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    @Gannon- XD

thanks laughingbun and tekmatic and the other 800 people who viewed my site in the past two days-
    updated site now with better navigation(hopefully) to important things like contact resume, changed thumbnails to better reflect content, ditched header image, added larger top button links to resume,vimeo and linkedin. heres a screenie
    folioshot.jpg

any other suggestions for improvement or ideas for further content welcomed.