Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Yapika's room.

Hi everyone,

I'm working on my first UDK scene, made from scratchs. Right now, it's composed of 13k tris and several 512²/1024² textures.
I will add some decays and other alpha textures tomorrow, and finish the props... also, it should feature some wet decays or so... and maybe later a bit of interactivity.
Hope you'll like it. Don't hesitate to criticize !

20838064705128_newrnd.jpg

15704558397099_newrnd2.jpg

Replies

• Wiktor
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    Looking interesting!
    However, I think it's way too lit up.
    Add some darker areas to help guide the eye. :)
  • Sebeuroc
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebeuroc polycounter lvl 13
    Well, I'm not a level designer, but I think this looks pretty sweet. I like the little details you have in there, like the doll especially. Though, the feel I get from this it could use more little odds and ends placed around?

Also, to me the pipes in the ceiling seem just a little out of place... they look more modern than the rest of the scene.
  • paulsvoboda
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
    It's looking okay right now. I think its suffering from two things at the moment. Your textures are all very blurry, especially those on the bedsheets and overall the material definition is definitely lacking. You say you are using 512 and 1024 textures. Push these as much as you can, otherwise there not much point to use 1024's. You could try tiling the textures some more and maybe sharpening them to take care of the blurriness. Posting texture flats may help.
    There are also areas in the texture that go to straight black. Your floor texture, which is looking really good, has these dark black lines which is ruining the otherwise really nice texture. Lower the contrast in it, think about using colour instead of black.
    The second thing is your lighting and post-processing. You have one light in the room and from what I see no windows, yet the room is bright. Think about how light would bounce around the room, why it would exist and not exist in different areas and you may then have to open it up to allow moonlight to enter or put more physical lights in the scene itself.
    Otherwise, its a good start but you could definitely improve this a lot. I'm sure others will have more and better things to say but I hope this helps.
    Good luck
  • BlvdNights
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    I actually really like what you're doing right now. But I agree with Paul above on all his points. Your textures need definite improvement.
  • Valerien
    I've sharpened my maps and optimized their size (reducing some to 512²). The scene now uses a dripping water particle system, and i've modified the lighting, coming from the exterior (may need some more power for the sun, and less inside the room). I've also reduced the influence of the point lights i was using to put the corners out.
    Hope it's better. I'm gonna work on adding a trap door on the floor and a small stepladder... and then i'll work on the exterior (by the way, paul, i noticed i was inspired by your last scene for this one !).

18558236530746_the_room_sharp.jpg
  • Sandro
    I like lighting, colors and those nice glowing stuff :)

Not sure about overall composition of objects.
  • SouthpawSid
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    lighting is so much nicer. I love the feeling of this.
  • paulsvoboda
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
    Really nice. Big improvement from before. I like where this is going.
    The sunlight pouring in from the door really adds a lot of interest and guides the eye well.
    I think you could tone down the scratches on the door significantly. At least tone down the normals on it and possibly indicate it slightly kin the diffuse, possibly a slightly lighter colour where the scratches are. I'm no expert on his so maybe someone could help me out with this. I do like the story you're bringing in with them though.
    Also, I think you could tone the particles a bit or make them a bit more random. As of now the only thing that differentiates them is there distance to the camera. Vary their size, their brightness, and tone them down a bit.
    Otherwise, you've got some really good things going on. Keep it up.
  • Ampaist
    looks good i would tune down the dust particles abit not so big and add more of them. look at eat 3ds dust tut