Home Technical Talk

Maya "Select Edge Loop" selects border on outer edges

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Autocon polycounter lvl 15
EDIT: Using 2011

So normally in Maya when using the Select Edge Loop Tool it selects edge loops fine. But on border edges and trying to select a loop it selects the entire border which is extremely frustrating and annoying having to then go in and unselect all unwanted edges.

Dose anyone know a way to get Maya to only select the Edge Loop instead of the whole border ring?

Here is an example picture of what I mean in case you need one. Selected one of the outer edges and tried to Select Edge Loop. It selects everything instead of ending where the loop ends which would be the corners.

mayaloopborder.jpg

Replies

• SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    It loops because it´s a "loop". You could imagine that it´s a 12 sided cylinder deformed to a square.
    I think Maya doesn´t check if there are extreme angles(<90°) like that to determine if it should end the loop like max does.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats seems to be a silly way to look at it. That is what I would call a border. They way maya is looking at it makes the border tool worthless. Max dosnt check for 90% angles to determin if something is a loop, it bases it off quads/tris. Even if you made 2 of the edges of a quad exactly aligned it wouldn't "loop" through them, it would stop because the quad forces the loop to end. Maya doesn't seem to follow this logic which sucks as Maya even considers a single 3 edge tri a loop : /

Whats more odd about it is that if you manually pick "Select Edge Loop Tool" from the drop down panel and try clicking a border edge it wont loop at all. But if you hotkey that action or use mayas default double click to select the edge loop it will select the all border edges.
  • Dim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dim polycounter lvl 10
    I agree here, this has long frustrated me, and I would love to know a solution.
  • THNKR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This should only happen when you're double-clicking an edge while in select mode. If you use the polySelectContext you'll notice that double-clicking does not select border edges. To select a single row of border edges use Select > Select Contiguous Edges.
  • attattattack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    attattattack polycounter lvl 8
    select first edge, then hold shift and double click the last edge you want.

Hope that helps

(I didnt know you could do that in Maya until I used Softimage, then tried similar method with Maya and it works)
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks THNKR and attackattack, both work great :)
  • Dim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dim polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks a bunch guys!
  • Cordell Felix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cordell Felix polycounter lvl 9
    yo, thanks attackattack lol. 9 years later and PC still helps :)