Home Technical Talk

ZBrush - decimantion and transfering high detail

iniside
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
iniside polycounter lvl 6
I must ask about it. Let's say I have low-poly model as base mesh.
First I sclupt it in zbrush.
2. I want to decimant it to fairly low-poly model.
3. Next I want to unwrap it in some external app.
4. Now the big question. Is it possible to import decimated model into zbrush again, and bake detail from first pass ?
Or should I first retopo decimated mesh, uwrap it and then import to zbrush ?

Yeah I know I can bake detail in 3ds max or even xNormal, but first one alawyas generate problems on normals.

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I think the biggest benefit you could get from Decimation Master is to take a 5million + polygon model, and crunch it down to something more manageable so that you wont have to try importing a 1GB+ obj into an external program like xnormal or max. You'd still have all the surface detail needed to do the bake. Aside from that, the second biggest benefit would be to 'lighten' a finished subtool on a model to make the scene easier to work with (http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=91806 and http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=91827 are examples of this being done to prevent a final model from being too intense).

Most of the time the results of decimation are generally not suitable to unwrap and use as a base. And while details can be projected from one tool to another, the whole point of Decimation Master is to preserve the surface detail in the first place, so I don't think there would be much to gain from projecting the original sculpt onto the decimated version. Unless you're talking about extreme polygon reduction to the point where the surface detail is lost, but if this were the case you'd probably be much better off just using the original base mesh instead, or retoplogizing/optimizing it on your own like you hinted at.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks. I was asking because I'm making mainly architecture and I don't really need any nice looking topology for that, just low-poly :D.
    But I see it cloud be a problem to transfer detail to triangulated mesh within ZBrush.