Oh Geez. Scifi Chick

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Empty polycounter lvl 18
[UPDATE] Finals
ScifiChick_Final.jpg
ScifiChick_Final_Diffuse.jpg

-

Been sitting on this one for a looong time, but I finally picked it up this weekend and finished it. I'm still playing around with the spec/gloss and rendering stuff. Right now I'm using the 3Point Shader but I want to try getting her into Marmoset, which isn't looking so good right now. I'll post some screens of where I'm at with it when I get home and maybe you guys can tell me what I am doing wrong. Thanks.

SciFiChick.jpg

Replies

• waedoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waedoe polycounter lvl 8
    oh mai look at those booty shorts, awesome model alot like metroid! except sexier
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Great execution - not so great concept.

There are a few issues such as some shapes being hard to read, but mostly I can't get past the fact that it looks like she forgot to put on half of her suit.

Technically, the only things that are off are some wobbly normals(e.g. underside of the shins) and the annoyingly speckly/pixely highlights/rimlights - perhaps some softer normals?
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    You know.. even if the concept is a bit weird, I think it works pretty well for her. The silhouette reminds me of something you'd see in a rail shooter from the NES days. I love it!
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    I don't know if it's the proportions or the face but she looks like she's 11 years old or something which is kind of creepy in those shorts... Other than that it looks great.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    fuckin sweeeet work man. good to see some high level talent in the mile high!
    This city will be a game dev hub if cats like you keep rollin in.

My only gripe lies in the presentation. props for showing this in real-time, but all the aliasing in tandem with the rim lighting really hurts the final image.
  • Charlie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It seems like the armor was designed by two people, one thinking practically, the other just wanting to see how much skin he could show.

Still love the style of it though, really nice celshaded'ish 3D effect.

The crazy jaggedy edges really take away from it though.

Great job anyways!
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    I love it - both the design / proportions, and the color scheme. The boots remind me of Ripley's Reeboks from Aliens. :)

I think the variation in forms between the bulkier armor and the slender figure beneath make it a really interesting overall character. It still reads well, and there's enough balance in the forms to make it look stylistically-intentional.

It's easy to reduce every set of sci-fi armor to some sort of combat suit, but I think this design could work really well for some kind of zero-gravity contact sport. The colors and her ordinary clothing reinforce this pretty well.

I think what would really sell this piece is a strong, stylish pose. Maybe one hand on a hip, head cocked slightly, a cheeky wink, aiming a finger-pistol at us? Or give her a prop and have her holding it? Something a bit more involved than a rig-ready pose.

Overall, great work.
  • Empty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for all the comments and feedback.

Seven came over and helped me get her working in marmoset after work. I still have some more fixes I need to make.

Still work in progress.

SciFiChick2.jpg
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    looks cool :) did she pee'd on her knees? ;) just joking. i like the model & textures & design
  • Mio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mio polycounter lvl 13
    nice~

well done on the mesh and texture!
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Honestly, I'd revert back to the original color scheme. Presentation is much better, but I'm really not digging the new color variations. Just an opinion, but I think the original scheme looked way more cohesive, whereas now it's making the differences in form clash a little.
  • Highelf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Highelf polycounter lvl 11
    I agree that it looks very nicely done, but poorly designed.

She looks like she has those thrusters just to keep herself upright! I really don't like scantily clad + heavy armored characters personally - it makes absolutely no sense at all.

I agree the initial colour scheme was better than the purple.

Nonetheless, it looks great visually, and is very nicely modelled and textured, so kudos to you :)
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    I, for one, really like these proportions. Silly yes, but also good fun.

What bothers me is the eyes. The specular white spot is mirrored, which doesn't really make sense. Furthermore, the eye white is rather too white and unaffected. Making it a bit darker under the eye lid would much improve the expression, I think.
  • Mladen Jovicic
    ah this is sweet. digging the design of this character. very fun. i actually like the first screenshots you got with that shader on over marmoset.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    I will be honest. Everything is good. But ass need to be more rounded :D.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Very tasty. Quite delicious, actually.

Maybe black and charcoal grey could compliment the orange instead of purple? I think it could also help pop the skin tone of the legs versus leggings, which I think is getting lost a little bit. Maybe just a less saturated purple, so it seems black or grey, but color reflects from the spec.

As for a pose, I think something like this could be cool. http://image.importtuner.com/f/9831144+w750+st0/impp_0208_01_z+model_jasmine_foxli+chair_shot.jpg
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    It's like a weird mix of Metroid, Halo and Team Fortress, good work! I like the colors you got there. Preferred the red/orange thing for the torso though. Keep it up!
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Love this! The proportions and armor design are silly as hell, but in a totally fun way. The high socks and little panties are totally giving me a Niklas Jansson vibe. :D

Not feeling the purple at all, though, as has been mentioned by others. I'm with cody; black, or maybe a dark desat blue would work nicely.
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Totally agree with LoTekK.. Everyone needs to lighten up. It's a really great piece!
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanF polycounter lvl 13
    awesome piece! my only crit would be that she needs some sore of low back support coming from the bottom piece. All that weight at the top would jack up her spine. :) But its still great!
  • Empty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    Okie Doak I'm calling this one done. Thanks again for all the comments and feedback.

ScifiChick_Final.jpg

ScifiChick_Final_Diffuse.jpg
  • frwanque
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frwanque polycounter lvl 6
    lOVE IT evertything is just perfect. I love the style
    Mabe you should give her a pose
  • JeremyRM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JeremyRM polycounter lvl 8
    She looks surprised which maybe is what you want but I still think the eyes are too open. I would of gone with bigger hips too.
  • shinobix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shinobix polycounter lvl 16
    Empty,
    You're textures are super clean and beautiful! Great job on them! My only issue with the character is how exposed her vitals are... Do you plan on building more armor for her, to cover her up a bit?
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    I think giving her a full suit of armor would take away from the fun of the character.
  • Empty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    Shinobix - Hehe. I don't think so. I never really planned on her character ever being in combat or anything like that. Just wanted to keep it fun with the proportions and the bright colors.

frwanque- Thanks. I'm rigging her up tonight, should have some different poses soon.