Home General Discussion

Unearthly Challenge?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
Hey there,

Now that I am out of school and working in the industry, I've been itching to participate in a contest! However, I've been looking for Unearthly Challenge info, and I was wondering when the next one will be! I know Dominance War will be starting relatively soon, but how about our beloved environment art challenge?

Thanks!

:)

Replies

• Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've got nothing useful to add I'm afraid, but I would like to know the answer also.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Guys they just recently posted last year's results. Don't get too excited just yet.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh I am aware. It's just that I find it weird that they had a 2009 UC, and took them over a year to get the results? Guess there won't be a 2010 challenge it seems!

I'm not in a rush, I'm just really curious to know when these challenges usually pop up.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    cholden wrote: »
    Guys they just recently posted last year's results. Don't get too excited just yet.

yeah, which took them 10 months
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    [HP] wrote: »
    yeah, which took them 10 months

Which is completely rediculous and disrespectful to the artists who took part imo. Theres no excuse. Seriously...how long does it take to chose some winners? I just think that having people work hard to reach a deadline then taking near a year to release the winner.... Maybe something happened that i'm not aware of but geezus...

Anyway. Its made me think twice about doing any GA comps. I might dabble in the Dom war. Will see if the brief grabs me.

Anyhoo...yeah dont hold your breath for Unearthly. Maybe next summer ish...
  • MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Stinger88 wrote: »
    Which is completely rediculous and disrespectful to the artists who took part imo. Theres no excuse. Seriously...how long does it take to chose some winners? I just think that having people work hard to reach a deadline then taking near a year to release the winner.... Maybe something happened that i'm not aware of but geezus...

Anyway. Its made me think twice about doing any GA comps. I might dabble in the Dom war. Will see if the brief grabs me.

Anyhoo...yeah dont hold your breath for Unearthly. Maybe next summer ish...

Now thats disrespectful to the judges imo.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hahahahahaahahaha, you're a funny guy.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    Now thats disrespectful to the judges imo.

It's not. The judges were rather hasty about choosing when compared to how long it had taken GA to get their shit together and actually find some judges.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OUCH! September 2011? Holy balls I was expecting perhaps next spring/summer at the latest.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    There's enough contests to go around between the two forums.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    adam wrote: »
    It's not. The judges were rather hasty about choosing when compared to how long it had taken GA to get their shit together and actually find some judges.

The judging did go quick...my guess on the delay is that Fred simply spread himself too thin between DW, opening up the GA gallery in Montreal, and wanting to rebuild the UC site
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    The man needs to learn to delegate.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Perhaps the best course of action in that case would be having DW one year, UC the next, and alternate like that. Not unlike the Olympics ever 2 years. Of course, I know nothing about how a contest is held/organized, so this may very well be a completely ridiculous statement.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Prophecies wrote: »
    Perhaps the best course of action in that case would be having DW one year, UC the next, and alternate like that. Not unlike the Olympics ever 2 years. Of course, I know nothing about how a contest is held/organized, so this may very well be a completely ridiculous statement.
    It's how they are from now on. That's why UC is next year.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahhh I see. Thank you for pointing that out! :)
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11

Agreed. I reckon it should be up to PC to take the mantle of running the big comps one day soon, shit'd run smoothly then.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15

Agreed, many of the entries that made it into the top 15 were not nearly as good as some of the ones left out which was so disappointing.

Still I cant wait till UC comes up again, that is if I can find time to do it XD
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon wrote: »
    Agreed, many of the entries that made it into the top 15 were not nearly as good as some of the ones left out which was so disappointing.

Still I cant wait till UC comes up again, that is if I can find time to do it XD
    Word. Same thing for me, hopefully I won't be smack in the middle of crunch times when UC comes back.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    I've got mixed feelings about the challenge. Hell of a community that comes out of it to band together and make great art but the delays were absolutely ridiculous and gut wrenching. The behind the back talk about specific entries not being "good enough" to be in the top 15 is pretty infuriating too, but of course I'm partial.

What I'd love to see is a more community run competition, with voting done by those who enter the competition somehow. No drama, no prizes, no postponed due dates. Just good old fashioned online art community goodness for the sake of doing art and getting some portfolio pieces done.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    You guys might be caring too much about the competition instead of personal growth? I don't really care who wins or not, for me it's mainly about seeing the WIPs of awesome environments and characters, as well as training my artistic skills. But maybe that's just me :P
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    I say less wanting competitions , but more working on something for yourself . Take the example of this last polycount competition : lots of requests for it , but maybe only 3 people will actually finish...

In other words, you dont need competitions to do work for yourself.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You guys might be caring too much about the competition instead of personal growth? I don't really care who wins or not, for me it's mainly about seeing the WIPs of awesome environments and characters, as well as training my artistic skills. But maybe that's just me :P
    I agree, completely. If its for personal growth take the specs from last year and do the competition on your own as many times as you like. Maybe have a contest between your pieces to see who gets into your portfolio.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    Vig wrote: »
    I agree, completely. If its for personal growth take the specs from last year and do the competition on your own as many times as you like. Maybe have a contest between your pieces to see who gets into your portfolio.
    yea, but you should judge which are the best at least 10 months, in best traditions.
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    I dunno. I finally finished a contest on time this year, and it was pretty rewarding being part of the collaborative group working towards a deadline. I definitely see worth in it as it pushes people even further then maybe they would've gone on their own time.

Obviously people should work on stuff in their own time, but there's definitely merit there.