Home General Discussion

CYBERTRON needs an update, (help).

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
I have a PC sitting downstairs (collecting dust) that needs a small upgrade so I can make it run most of todays games with ease.

It's not the worst thing in the world, but I think what I really need is a video card, and maybe some ram (maybe a ram cooler). The thing is, I am no hardware geek.. so I need help.

I ran CPU-Z on my PC and what you see below is the results. I just want to know what I can buy, or rather, should buy, to make it run most modern games.

Also is there a way to combine an onboard video card with one that I buy? Never really thought about that.

My budged is ummm around $300. This isn't exact so it could be moved around :).

video card: $100-150
rest: $150

2emzj43.jpgjidvyd.jpg2q091cy.jpg14kb692.jpg

Thank you.

Replies

• oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe a Nvidia 460?

Rest you could upgrade to ddr2-800. (ddr2 6400).

If you mb has OC abilities with any left over buy an aftermarket cooler and slightly OC your processor. Or get a Phenom II series.
  • Esprite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Esprite polycounter lvl 9
    Can't really recommend upgrades without knowing the model of the Motherboard. (limits on PCI-E bus speed, memory speed and size limits etc.)

If your looking to play games though I'm betting spending the majority of the budget on a new GPU would probably be your best option.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Umm my mother board is made by American Megatrends Inc. Version 7B3G1P04. Might be kind of a no name, but it's not that bad.

Thanks for the advice oXYnary, I might actually buy some Cheap RAM maybe 1-2gb more.

My computer is mostly the Gateway GT5676, I bought it right when the Phenom came out so it was an amazing deal.

I went on their website and they say I have this motherboard.

http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/Shared/4006272R/4006272Rmv.shtml

This has most of my hardware, awesome. I changed some things, but it's mostly default.
    http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/1015332R/1015332Rnv.shtml
  • Esprite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, perfect info.

Yeah I second the GTX 460 for your budget, but I am kinda concerned with the 300watt PSU that's supposed to be apart of that system..the recommened PSU for the 460 is a 450watt atleast. You have a 16x PCI-E port so it should work ok as far as the motherboard is concerned.

The max memory speed and capacity of that motherboard is 8gig clocked at 800mhz btw. So...pretty much I'd recommend everything oXYnary suggested.

(Oddly enough.. I'm trying to sell that type of ram atm...which happens to be 4 x 2gigs of Corsair DDR2 RAM @ 800mhz. Though I dunno if this is the place to solicit that, heh :P)
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice sir, So I'm not to sure what you mean by the "clocked at 800mhz".

Does that mean that my RAM stick cannot go past 800mhz? (im such a noob it's ridiculous).

I am going to look into the GTX 460, although they might be like $200.. is there a ATI counter part?
  • Esprite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well it's more like you won't be able to utilize the access speed of 800mhz. Your motherboard just won't transfer that fast. It should still work if it's clocked faster but it just won't operate at full speed.

There isn't any reason to pay more for ram that's faster than what your motherboard can handle (especially if your on a budget). :D

The ATI alternative would probably be the ATI 5770 (which is on neweegg for 140-150 or so.)
    Check out Tom's Hardware http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/graphics-card-geforce-radeon,2761.html "Best Cards for the Money October 2010"

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130562 You can get a 460 for about 170 btw.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahaha I was just comparing that card to the $229 one, virtually the same, then you posted it again, so this might be the one.

Why do you prefer Nvidia over ATI?

I think I'm going to look into this more and post some links of my final, thanks soo much Esprite, love the help.
  • Esprite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The GTX 460 performs better than a 5770 for abit more money. For the price range you listed it's a good fit. I use an ATI card at work and they work fine, the 5770 even. I recommend whatever fits your budget more.

As for myself, I like the idea of having CUDA and PhysX suppport for whatever reason. I also have a bias towards disliking ATI cards cause of bad drivers, but things have changed since AMD took over.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright man, sounds good :).

Thanks again boys!