Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hephaestus hover-tank for MW:LL

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
EmAr polycounter lvl 18
Hi! Here's a vehicle I modeled for MechWarrior: Living Legends mod for Crysis. This will be a hover-tank. The separate pieces you see on the low poly image will be able to rotate for aiming.

2ls896g.jpg

2vux1m8.jpg

25qvxcn.jpg

Here's the link to the project's website:

http://www.mechlivinglegends.net/

Thanks for looking :)

Replies

• dansher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dansher polycounter lvl 8
    nice, kinda reminds me of a cylon fighter jet thing lol, that might just be the paint scheme
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah the model lookking really good,but the dirt on the diffuse is too much splodgy.i think it needs much more definitive weart&tear and dirt...maybe adding some nice scratches on the front side would be nice...
    hmm dunno but it seems you need some more spec map detail.its alredy looking good but you can improve it more...

iyi günler :)
  • Gilgamesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    Surprised MWLL is still going actually, was very limited game mode wise when I first played it and got bored of base campers and unbalanced servers combined with the dire netcode and connectivity of Crysis.

Model looks nice, but I have to agree with igi on this one.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    I am a new member of the team but I can say it is the most active mod team I've joined.

Thanks for the comments. I'm using a 1024x1024 texture now. It doesn't handle scratches very well. Actually, the model has a detail map containing scratches which is not visible from this distance. Maybe I should use some decals.
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    Mind posting some texture sheets and UV-Layout? I 1024 should be able to support some sratch work I would expect.

Of course you can go with decals. I don't know how they turn out in cry engine but in some engines you can encounter flickering of decals when viewed from far distances due to depth sorting isues at large distances. Also decals will take up additional texture space. So I thik if can manage to do it on your texture sheet you schould do so.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    I added some more scratches. Since I got a new assignment, probably I won't be able to work much longer on this one but thanks for all the suggestions :) Here you go:

143lsw8.jpg

2e6fqx2.jpg
  • andybozo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    andybozo polycounter lvl 7
    hello, this is Andy, the former lead artist for MWLL. unfortunately i havent been active on the MWLL team lately because i started a job in the industry :poly122:. i hope all is well with the team! ill have to jump on TS and say hi sometime here.

as far as your hoover tank goes. its looking fairly nice. i like the shapes and the design of the craft. "needs much more definitive weart&tear and dirt" i would have to agree. the scratches and dirt blend together and its hard to make out whats going on.

it might be a good idea to seperate out some of the panels on the surface so that some are lighter and darker. thats a trick i used on most of the mechs and it really helps break things up. i think the texture is up on the server but i made a base metal texture for all the mechs that people can use. i would recommend using that.

it might be good to increase your AO strength to make some of the panel lines show a bit better. some of them are hard to see. you could try adding a cavity map too.... that would help for sure.

anyway, enough nit-picking. i wish you and the MWLL team the best ill talk to you on TS sometime im sure.