Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

"Botler" - diffuse painted robot

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
haikai polycounter lvl 8
This is a model known as "Botler," for a project by InsaneRoot. The human character is "Brutus," another model I made for this project. The concept is by Matt Dixon.

I projected as much detail as I could from the concept as a starting point for the texture, and I think I learn a lot by painting right on top of Matt's work. The model was built in Maya and painted in BodyPaint and Photoshop, and is about 6600 triangles with a 1k map. I don't often build mechanical things like this, so I could have been smarter with the UVs and general mesh construction, but I like the results overall.

The first image is a real-time render in Marmoset Toolbag (with some very minor photoshop edits). I'm sure everyone here is familiar with it already, but I wanted to mention what a wonderful application this is; it's pretty much everything I've wanted for viewing real-time graphics, and well worth the low price. There is no specular map on these models, but I'm surprised how well diffuse only models can hold up in this environment.

BotlerRender.jpg
BotlerComp.jpg

Replies